Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A question for fellow fans. Next month I'm moving to a new community and a new job (well, actually, it's the same company but with a transfer to a new location and a promotion). I'll be able to both make a little more money AND have lower overall living expenses.

This means that within a bare couple to few months I could have some decent spare cash at hand. And I'll have available room to display some of my things.

Question: I LOVE the TOS Enterprise. Still, is it worth it to pony up for a Master Replicas' Enterprise?

I'd like to hear from those considering such a purchase as well as those who may have already acquired one.

Small note: I've exchanged emails with Canadian SF author Robert J. Sawyer (we're practically neighbours) and although he notes the MR's imperfections he just loves his MR TOS E. In years past I've had opportunity to meet and speak with Sawyer in person.

I also happaned to catch a glimpse of one at the Silver Snail hobby shop in Toronto a couple of months ago and it really caught my eye even though I didn't get to see it lighted up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's pretty amazing, to be honest. Some have come in with tiny flaws that would be unacceptable as a model contest entry, but overall I think they're beautiful. I came very close to buying one myself, but decided against it for a number of reasons (and it's not as if I couldn't afford it). Mainly, I want to build my own. It's as simple as that. And if a kit doesn't magically materialize I'll scratchbuild one.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Of all the high-end sci-fi replicas to have hit the market in recent years the MR Enterprise is easily my favorite. A fantastic display piece, and one I've never regretted purchasing. If you can afford the expense, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Carson Johnson is right!

Look at it this way, if you had saved a dollar every day since the first garage kitmaker had first promised a 350 scale Enterprise kit, you would have had enough to buy one of these beauties by now. (and then some)

It was a bit of a pinch for me at the time, but I never regretted it. I got the "base" version. (no autographs or anything fancy) but it's been a crown jewel in the collection.

If you can, be sure you have someone test the lighting before you purchase, tho. With MR going extinct, you may not be able to get it serviced if there are any problems.

my two quatloos

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
The price thing is relative.

The thousand bucks I spent on the MR Enterprise is offset by the fact that I do not routinely buy ten identical copies of the latest plastic model kit to hit the shelves (a practice I don't begrudge but will never understand).

Lou raises a good point about the electrics, though. I've never experienced any problems in this regard (I fire up the lights for an hour or so at least once a week), but when I do eventually experience electrical issues with my replica (as I surely will) I anticipate having a hard time finding someone qualified to correct the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saved three months for mine and though I've had it for over a year,
it still takes my breath away when I light this beauty up at night...
I ran the lights for three days straight with no problems when I first
unpacked it and to date (knock wood), everything's fine. I expect the
motors will last for years with frugal use, i.e., one or two hours a day.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
i saved for about 6 months, a twenty here, a twenty there to purchase mine. its a joy to behold, and a real centerpiece to a collection.
i havent regretted the purchase for a second.
worth it? you bet your sweet bippy.

·
Banned
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really tempted, but I admit that I've never seriously contemplated spending this kind of money on what is essentially a form of artwork for display. Mind you there are those who spend far, far more on things just to be displayed. And art is in the eyes of the beholder.

It wouldn't be exposed to curious small kids or direct sunlight and it would be in an air conditioned environment.

Mind you I could also make use of it for further Never seen TOS scenes images.

Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Its worth it if you can make the mental leap that you are buying art and not a $1000+ model.

If you want to build and light one to have a star trek model, no its not worth it.
If the cat might throw it off a shelf at 3:00 am, no its not worth it.
If you want a beautiful piece as Star Trek art as a show piece, YES they are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got one and I don't regret it. However you might want to do a bit of research as I hear there were problems with the motors that made the engine lights rotate.

People have experienced failures and there is no way to fix it besides cracking open the model.

I did test everything when I got it but I have not turned it on since for fear of one of the motors failing. Also it is huge and I don't have a place to display it. I might make something when I finish a PL 350 refit.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have one, and yes I do have regrets.

This is oil.
Avoid the low numbers those have the most problems(I have have #24).
Plus I felt I paid to much for it. Some of the retailers on E-bay were selling them at very low prices(with free shipping).

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have one, and yes I do have regrets.

This is oil.
Avoid the low numbers those have the most problems(I have have #24).
Plus I felt I paid to much for it. Some of the retailers on E-bay were selling them at very low prices(with free shipping).
Yes same problem for me.

I wonder if using clear dull coat on the outside can help to mask this problem.

I think it isn't just early numbers, simply early ones are now leeching oil or flux or whatever it is.

It took a long time for it to show up on mine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know CD, I would assume the oil(or whatever, it is made in China God knows what they used) would have to be cleaned up. Which would require going into the model. Otherwise the problem might persist.

I can't help but wonder if the oil will spread on to the painted nacelle.

I'll ask a buddy of mine who has a higher number if anything has shown up on his.

And yet another chapter in the ongoing curse of the Starship Enterprise. :)

·
Starship Class
11,925 Posts
I'm really tempted, but I admit that I've never seriously contemplated spending this kind of money on what is essentially a form of artwork for display. Mind you there are those who spend far, far more on things just to be displayed. And art is in the eyes of the beholder . . .

Mind you I could also make use of it for further Never seen TOS scenes images.
As long as you've got a properly shaped, painted, and decaled model, you don't have to physically light it for your purposes.

Yeah, I know. I could have afforded it if I'd have saved my pennies. However, since it would have been a major diversion of available resources and since I really want to build one up and give attention to those aspects of it that fascinate me the most, I decided to wait for a kit. (I thank God for Moebius!)

I don't think any less of anyone for purchasing one. I just couldn't justify it (bang for buck) myself, given my goals and budget.:eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
MR Reseller

Guys,
I have great reseller that I have picked up some MR products in past: JD at The Saber Vault. I think he has 1 or 2 Enterprises still in stock below MSRP. I would check with him if you are interested in one:

http://thesabervault.com/MasterReplicasUSSEnterprise.html

I got a sig edition Enterprise through ME direct and love it. (It does have the frosting issue inside both nacelle domes, but it isn't as noticeable as the pictures suggest, especially if the lights are running.)

Good luck!
Jordan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts