Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm just a bit curious, I found a model assembly kit still in the original shrink wrap called "The Strange Changing Time Machine" by PMC
Can someone tell me a little bit of info on it? I know it was made in the 70's, and that it was part of a series.
I have looked on ebay, and amazon and haven't been able to find anything like it.

Thanks
Lee

·
Registered
701 Posts
OK, the "Strange Change" kits were models that would 'change their appearance" via a rubber band-powered swivel mechanism.

The kits in the series were the Time Machine, a Vampire and a Mummy.

When the time machine's door was closed, the inner scene "wall" would flip around, changing from a scene of the time traveler activating the controls, to one of him being attacked by dinosaurs.

The vampire coffin lid closing would flip the platform the vampire was lying on, making him "change" from a vampire to a "staked" skeleton.

The mummy was similar, in that the closing of the sarcophagus lid would switch from "normal" mummy to "unwrapping" mummy with partly removed bandages and scorpions in various spots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I googled it, and I really couldn't find a lot of info on it.
Next step ebay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man-I had forgotten about those. Thanks Lee36 and Dino Mike for refreshing my memory, I built the Vampire and the Time Machine when I was a kid. Wish I still had that Time Machine kit...oh well

·
Registered
560 Posts
MPC figure kits

Yeah, i had this one for a while and never got around to building it. It helped pay for the now infamous collection draining divorce back in 92. I sold nearly anything of value to John Green. It's one of the only pieces i have not since replaced. I am looking for these kits as well, but not too hard i guess. The detail is not on par with Aurora and the resin stuff we see today. As with ANY of the MPC figure kits, they just are not that well done, maybe even a bit hokey. Probably the best MPC sculpt was Barnabas Collins, and even he is in a very un-natural looking pose. MPC always did better with their cars and space ships. I love the Star Wars kits, Black Hole robots... Just my opinion.

Cliff

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Oh man, I had that kit. It was kind of cool but kind of stupid at the same time. The capsule is sort of acorn shaped and the inside rotates around when you open and close the door. The normal interior has a waving time traveller sitting in the control seat and the reverse interior has him crawling away from a dinosaur, IIRC. These things semi-worked. Usually it got stuck half way between scenes.

MPC was big on rubber band action models. The Mummy, Time Machine and Vampire were along the same lines as the Zap-Action POTC kits and the Haunted Mansion/Mummy, Grave Diggers, Vampire, etc.

I built the Mummy changer too... was pretty cool. I think the Vampire was the best of the changer kits but I never had that one.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Id buy a repop on the other hand it was kinda crappy... I wouldnt pay a lot for it. A lot of the repop stuff is kinda pricey. There isnt a lot too the kit and although the repop would probably be $39 or so, its worth about $10.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts