Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm looking for the name of the artist who drew the alien on the instruction sheet for the mpc alien model from '79. I have the model but not the box or instruction sheet and I'm not able to find a scan of it online. Also if you have the sheet and are willing to scan and email it to me that would be awesome. Any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello everyone I'm looking for the name of the artist who drew the alien on the instruction sheet for the mpc alien model from '79. I have the model but not the box or instruction sheet and I'm not able to find a scan of it online. Also if you have the sheet and are willing to scan and email it to me that would be awesome. Any help is appreciated. thanks
Did you get an answer to your question yet ???

can you provide a picture of the model... I might have it ?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The MPC Alien is the Grandfather of all Alien model kits. It was the first kit of Giger's nightmare and was a licensed product for the original film.

AMT Also without warning repopped this kit in or about 1999.

The repop is abundant on Ebay. Here is a link to an image of the box
http://xenomorph.org/images/alientoy/amt_ertl_alien_model.jpg

Are you seeking the original or do you just need it for a build. It is not that parts intensive that you cannot figure it out, imho.

I will also state it is a horrible fitting kit again imho....

Max Bryant

·
Registered
861 Posts
It IS a horrible fitting kit, but a great likeness. I had dozens of shots of this when I worked at ERTL. Traded most of them to John F. Green ('member him?) for kits. It is a very easy build.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Any other companies like John Green around? I traded him two or three extra kits I had for my grail kit, th Cygnus, from The Black Hole. He was pre eBay, and had alot of hard to find goodies.

Sincerely,
Scorp.

·
Registered
861 Posts
JFG was one of a kind. There are a few around like deanshobbystop and oldmodelkits, but John had like a warehouse of nostalgia at great prices. He got alot of my business when I was ERTL. If I needed to get one of our old kits for study, he was the man. Plus alot of times I sent him one of our new kits for something old. Good relationship. Really miss him.

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
JFG was one of a kind. There are a few around like deanshobbystop and oldmodelkits, but John had like a warehouse of nostalgia at great prices. He got alot of my business when I was ERTL. If I needed to get one of our old kits for study, he was the man. Plus alot of times I sent him one of our new kits for something old. Good relationship. Really miss him.
Thanks forthelot info brush. I'll check those sellers/dealers out.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Is that the guy who played the Alien?
Not in the first movie, no... the guy who wore the suit in the first film was a really, really tall, skinny african-descent guy, whose name escapes me right now. But I found a photo of him in-costume...

http://www.indiewire.com/static/dim...3b7760b9a911e19f68123138165f92/file/Alien.jpg

In later flicks, one of the guys who worked on the suits was Tom Woodruff. He also wore them in those cases where there was a physical suit. (Which was about 1/2 to 1/3 of the shots on-screen, depending on the film... after the first film, that is.)

Here's an interview with the guy...

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/13492/the-den-of-geek-interview-tom-woodruff-jr

That's looking like one of the suits worn in Aliens, the second flick. Definitely not the Alien3 suit, nor the "Resurrection" suit. I guess it could be from the AvP flicks, too... though I suspect that they actually reused some earlier suits for those films, as they did seem to return to the "Aliens" design overall...

·
Banned
718 Posts
FYI, I do have this model... somewhere, in one of several "dishpack" cartoons I've got stored, holding all my various unbuilt kits. But as I recall, there was nothing remotely complex about the construction of this kit... nor was the "paint scheme" very useful. So, except for "collector" value, I can't see the need for this.

By the way, I'm presuming you're talking about the 9" figure, not the 18" one. The 18" "kit" isn't technically a "kit" at all... as I actually own the original release of this, which was sold as an "action figure" back in 1979. It was, at the time, the coolest "toy" I'd ever had. Of course, I was thirteen at the time, soo.... It had glow-paint in the recesses of the head, under the smoke-grey transparent "head skin." and it had a little device at the back of the head which you could use to open the mount and extend the jaws. It also had spring-tension in the arms which allowed it to grip things, and the tail was not of rigid plastic but of a more flexible material, so it would bend a little bit.

I understand, though I've never seen it in person, that someone bought the tools for this "action figure" and repopped it in styrene and sold it as a kit.

Here's the best "demo" of the 18" (as an "action figure") I've seen... I certainly don't recall seeing this commercial at the time, but this is definitely the figure!

They are hard to find... and the recent NECA model/figure is definitely a better figure, albeit almost as expensive and almost as hard to find! But this Ebay listing has some great photos, including the original packaging, and reflects the current "market price" for this figure... minimum of $300, and in "mint" shape often as high as $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ken...7589?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item27c8b19c25

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That is the Kenner Alien you have and it is a prize in anyones Alien Collection. I was a lowly stockboy at Toys R Us and to this day remember stocking them on an endcap. They were clearanced for 13.94 cause they did not sell. Just too ugly and also selling a toy from an R rated movie was not something regularly done in those days. I wish I bought the whole endcap!!!

Yes the Kenner figure was duplicated and or copied. Tsukuda Hobby had a line of large scale figures and the Alien was in that line. I think the working jaw mechanism was not incorporated into that release.

Also there was a vinyl model kit from Halcyon kit #Hal01. It is a copy of the Kenner toy and again no jaw mechanism.

Max Bryant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts