Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Who released the Space 1999 kits first MPC or Airfix?

2. I know there are aftermarket goodies for the EAGLE but....Is there any decals or detail parts for the HAWK kit? OR are some of the decals the same per Eagle and Hawk?

I already have good pics and references lined up but if you have built the HAWK kit I would like to hear how you did it or some words of advice.

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
All I can tell you is the one I bought had the MPC label on it.

Warp recently released a resin one the same size as the old MPC kit. Federation Models has it in the what's new section.

SMT is going to release one in 1/48 soon!!! I am SO there!

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
fluke said:
1. Who released the Space 1999 kits first MPC or Airfix?

2. I know there are aftermarket goodies for the EAGLE but....Is there any decals or detail parts for the HAWK kit? OR are some of the decals the same per Eagle and Hawk?

I already have good pics and references lined up but if you have built the HAWK kit I would like to hear how you did it or some words of advice.

THANK YOU!!!!
I would have thought that since it was a British show, Airfix would have produced the "Space:1999" kits but some research indicates that MPC produced the kits first.

Check here for some more info: http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/main/merc/vmmhawk.html

That site also has some good links to reference photos and to kit instructions and box art. Jim Small's site has a lot of photos including his scratchbuilt Hawk.

Never seen any aftermarket goodies for the Hawk kit - there are no markings/insignia on the ship. If you need clearer copies of the kit instructions, let me know.

Jim

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jim but I think I'm covered ......plus "Real men don't noeed no stinking instructions!" :p

I thought on one site I saw markings on the hawk?

From what I gather the Hawk has no landing gear....must be launched from a certian type of platform?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Great Hawk Reference:
http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/main/models/w2mhawk.html

Also, check out E. James Small's website, he has a fantastic series of pictures of a studio scale hawk he worked on.

The Airfix kit was really nice. I'd love to get another one myself. The original model in the show was painted like a standard Eagle first - all white. After looking at it, they decided it looked to similar to an Eagle so the orange markings were then added.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
fluke said:
I thought on one site I saw markings on the hawk?
Jim Small is considered one of the 'experts' on Space:1999. His scratchbuilt Hawk - http://www.smallartworks.ca/Gallery/Hawk/Hawk.html - shows no insignia and gives some explanation on the color scheme.

But then you probably have checked all that out yourself.

Trek Ace said:
Airfix in the UK.

MPC in the US.
But the question was which came first? Who made the mold? MPC sold Airfix kits reboxed as MPC kits and vice versa. The Hawk was an MPC kit reboxed by Airfix for sale in Europe.

Jim

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
starmanmm said:
I must be blind! :drunk: I can't find a reference to this on their site. When is the release date?
Unknown. Alfred previewed his master parts (!) a few weeks ago on Starship Modeler. The thread seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Jim Smalls hawk is beautiful. The hawk is a kit bashers dream. Glue together a bunch of stuff and it looks mean and cool. One of Bowers best designs.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
ABOUT THE DESIGN

Taking its overall design cues from the Eagle Transporter, the Hawk was Moonbase Alpha's main tactical military spacecraft. Although it was one of "Space: 1999"'s most popular designs, the sleek and powerful Hawk actually only appeared in one episode, Season One's "War Games."

ABOUT THE KIT

First released by Britain's Airfix company, the Hawk was later released -- briefly -- by MPC, which also published the original Eagle 1 kit under its Fundimensions label.

Here is the page I found this info on:
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/HAWK%20FIGHTER%20PAGE.htm

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, from talking to a few Brit buddies, it isn't quite clear who actually financed work on the molds, but it appears that MPC ended up with possession and the rights to use them as otherwise AMT wouldn't have had the Eagle molds to do the reissues back in 1998-99. As I recall back in the mid 1970s, the Eagle kits from Fundimensions hit the shelves at about the same time that Space:1999 season one was on the air and that suggests that the kits were already tooled up in the UK when the show debuted in the USA as the US broadcasts if I recall correctly were about a year behind their original UK transmissions. So that would suggest an Airfix origin.

Ravenstar did issue a resin Hawk kit that was a minor improvement over the MPC kit and word is that he got permission from AMT to do it as apparently there was some stumbling block that prevented them from reissuing that kit.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Jay. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Jay Chladek said:
Well, from talking to a few Brit buddies, it isn't quite clear who actually financed work on the molds, but it appears that MPC ended up with possession and the rights to use them as otherwise AMT wouldn't have had the Eagle molds to do the reissues back in 1998-99. As I recall back in the mid 1970s, the Eagle kits from Fundimensions hit the shelves at about the same time that Space:1999 season one was on the air and that suggests that the kits were already tooled up in the UK when the show debuted in the USA as the US broadcasts if I recall correctly were about a year behind their original UK transmissions. So that would suggest an Airfix origin.

Ravenstar did issue a resin Hawk kit that was a minor improvement over the MPC kit and word is that he got permission from AMT to do it as apparently there was some stumbling block that prevented them from reissuing that kit.
The original molds were lost/destroyed for the 1999 kits. One of our board members here was involved in providing kits for the recreation of the Eagle and the MoonBase Alpha kits. I think they were going to wait to see how sales went before attempting to remake the mold for the Hawk.

Now I don't think we'll see it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
terryr said:
The hawk is a kit bashers dream.
Well, I'm guessing the main engine bell comes from a 1/96 Saturn V. I'm trying real hard to spot other familar features... I'm sure they're there, but not as obvious as in some of the other Space: 1999 models.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Ravenstar got permission to do a limited run of the kit - something like 40 - from Airfix themselves

·
Registered
789 Posts
rabbit said:
Well, I'm guessing the main engine bell comes from a 1/96 Saturn V. I'm trying real hard to spot other familar features... I'm sure they're there, but not as obvious as in some of the other Space: 1999 models.

The main body from the back of the nose to the flaired (the ribbed area) is the 1st stage of an Airfix Saturn 1b model, from the flair to the engine is the 2nd stage of the Airfix Saturn 5 kit.

Scott

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
There were 2 models in different scales, so details change between them.
I see Gemini balls and tanks, lunar module blast deflectors on the smaller engines, and rocket launchers from a harrier. The large models main bell is part 1/96 and part 1/144 saturn glued together. The y-shaped pieces are saturn 5 too, I think.

..and the hawk and eagle noses were used to make the sidon ship;

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/main/models/w2msidon.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts