Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I am wanting to mount a replica master sword and hyrulian shield from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess on a wall plaque. My plan is to use epoxy to attach the shield to the wall plaque via the handle and strap on the back of the shield. I may have to use some wood tools to carve a depression in the plaque for the handle because it sticks out a little more than the strap, and I'd like the sheild to not be angled on the plaque. But the issue I'm running into is how to attach the sword to the sheild so that it is study, but removable. I could just epoxy the sword to the shield, but that destroys the possibility of it being removable. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of epoxying some metal brackets of some sort to the back of the shield that the sword could slide into, but I'm not sure what kind of brackets or if that's even a good idea. I'm not a hobbyist of this sort, so I was hoping you all could help me out.

Or at least send me in the right direction if this is the wrong forum or if I'm just completely off base.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
HEY, if you're completely off base you've come to the right place !! LOL
Stand by, check often, someone will come up with something. We gotta ponder a bit.
Dabbler

G

·
What Dabbler said about being off base and in the right place...couldn't agree more and well said sir :thumbsup:

Any pics of the back of the shield maybe ?
Might be able to work something out from that.

Go easy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raytheon said:
What Dabbler said about being off base and in the right place...couldn't agree more and well said sir :thumbsup:

Any pics of the back of the shield maybe ?
Might be able to work something out from that.

Go easy
I can't seem to find any pictures of the back of the shield online, so I'll take a few and post them here after I get off work. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is the back of the shield:

Here is the back of the shield with the sword positioned how I'd like it:

And here is the desired final position on the plaque (the plaque will be staind a dark rosewood color):

And this image shows how the strap is a bit shorter than the handle, causing the shield to sit angled on the plaque:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Well, that makes it all very clear......sort of.......I think....? Uh....next time could you turn the lights on ?..........:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the Dabbler said:
Well, that makes it all very clear......sort of.......I think....? Uh....next time could you turn the lights on ?..........:eek:
Yea, I know. My wife decided that the really big, bright lamp we had in there was old and ugly, so we replaced it with one that isn't as bright, but nicer looking. I'll have to try to get some during the day this time I guess. Sorry 'bout that.

G

·
Right then, i get what your after but just a possible problem or two to get sorted and sorry if this sounds condescending but i have no idea of what skills you have so i'm sort of shooting in the dark here.

1) Can you work in wood ?
2) Can you measure something to the half millimeter ?

Reason i ask is as follows, i am going to assume your not on the same land mass as me (England) so it's not like i can run round take a few measurements and then go make something and drop it in on me way to the pub :)
That said, if you can get me some measurments i have in mind a 'bracket' of sorts in wood that can be glued to the plaque which can be made but the one i got in mind needs some fairly precise measuring and at least one sketch for the strap curve.

If your interested just say and ill post a sketch of what i have in mind.
Then again i feel the Dabbler may have his own solution so post some better lit pics and we'll see.

Go easy

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
:cool: HEY, careful with that "old & ugly" talk, ya got a senior citizen here ya know ! Show a tad of respect ! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raytheon said:
1) Can you work in wood ?
2) Can you measure something to the half millimeter ?

Reason i ask is as follows, i am going to assume your not on the same land mass as me (England) so it's not like i can run round take a few measurements and then go make something and drop it in on me way to the pub :)
That said, if you can get me some measurments i have in mind a 'bracket' of sorts in wood that can be glued to the plaque which can be made but the one i got in mind needs some fairly precise measuring and at least one sketch for the strap curve.

If your interested just say and ill post a sketch of what i have in mind.
Then again i feel the Dabbler may have his own solution so post some better lit pics and we'll see.

Go easy
Yea, I don't have any skills in this whatsoever. This is the first project like this I have ever tried. I haven't even ever used epoxy before. So I don't think I'm going to be able to work wood into any useful shape.

I was thinking something along the lines of going to hardware store and seeing what sort of metal or plastic bracket-like things they may have which might be just the right size to slide the sword into.

Thanks for the responses though :).

the Dabbler said:
:cool: HEY, careful with that "old & ugly" talk, ya got a senior citizen here ya know ! Show a tad of respect ! :D
Sorry, I didn't mean anything by it :).

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Gersh dern whippersnappers these days, no respect, no sir, no respect. :dude:

By golly I just noticed. Not only a young whippersnapper, but an ALIEN one at that. There goes the neighborhood. See what you rapscallion space ship guys did ?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Pougan, you got us involved so have you got any better pix of your shield yet? Someone may come up with an idea if we could see the problem.
Dabbler

PS., what I do in a case like this is roam through a hardware store to see what they have. Keep your mind open and your eye may catch something that will strike you as appropriate. Improvise ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I haven't got a chance to get better pictures. I'll get them as soon as I can.

Thanks again :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts