Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was lucky enough to find one of these. I am curious as to a few thing,s about the car?? I was hoping someone could help me out with a few question,s?? I do not planning on selling the car,(as usual), or trading it. It is card #089 from 2006. It say,s on the right side(Motown Metal), 1 of 5,?? And above the car is the word,s 70 Chevelle, 1/5?? All the one,s i have seen on e-bay have the words Muscle Car series in white on the right side of the card. Is this a transition peice?? Do i need to put it in a protecto?? Enquiring mind,s want to know, lol?? ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated, Russ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
A very nice find & VHTF one at that! If you plan on keeping it as an investment piece, I would surely place it inside a protecto-pac. Currently, "Lee's Toy Review" magazine lists the Motown Metal Series '70 Chevelle Black with Black Interior, PR5 wheels on the '07 card at $180.00. Not too shabby for a mainline car. How 'bout a pic? I've never seen one up close :) Very nice find!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$180.00?????????????

Good gawd man. Surely you jest?? I will take it to a friend of mine and let him post a pic , as i am not pic capable, yet. Defenitely protecto pak material, eh. Man i can,t believe i am this lucky. For all the collector,s who want to know where i found it at??(and i can feel the vibe,s??) i found it at a Fred,s dollar store in Quitman, Mississippi. How lucky can you get!! A pic will be forthcoming. Thanks for the info, much appreciated, Russ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's something I don't understand here, so help me out folks...

I thought that all mainline cars were mass produced - so how did this one get so valuable?

Is this not generally universally true?

Or does HW purposely make just a few of some models (even though they're not THs?)

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
analog,it got valuable because it is a hard to find variation like the purpl mx48 turbo(cant remember the year)some say hw does it on purpose but i think its just a accident like they get to the nd of a run and just run the cars on out without changing over hope this helps ttfn johnny

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Analog said:

I thought that all mainline cars were mass produced - so how did this one get so valuable?

Or does HW purposely make just a few of some models (even though they're not THs?)
This car was a transition piece. Some of the earlier (read different colors) of this car had black interiors, such as the gray K-days version. When paint colors are changed sometimes there are leftover parts from the previous version, such as interiors, windshields or wheels that get transfered over. Look at alot of the higher dollar mainlines and I think you will see this is the case.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
...and then there's those that start out rare, like this one, and a month or 6 months later a whole crap-load will start showing up at a closeout store or somewhere like KB toys and they end up just another variation

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
couple of thing,s!!!!!!!!!

Mine say,s 086 on the 2006 tab, not 089 as i previously stated!! Also it is red exterior and black interior, and has Motown Metal on the right side, but it is in smaller letter,s and the color is grey, not green like the treasure hunt stripe(Motown Metal, 1/5)in real small letter,s!!Sorry for the confusion, Russ :wave:

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Analog said:
Analog...read a little more carefully... the link you posted is the regular version...you can clearly see in the auction pic that the interior is red....He's talking about a version with a black interior...that's what makes it rare...

...at least for now

EDIT: OOps, gues we posted same time... so it's not the valuable transition piece then?...not the black one with black interior?... the card variations would not make it rare....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Also it is red exterior and black interior,
This makes alot of difference. The black Chevelle with black interior is the one worth big $. Without a pic I would have to say it is one of the many paint varies HW is doing these days. I have the same Chevelle in red, black and gray. Not sure about the packaging differences.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts