Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just whondering whats everyones input on motor dip.......

And, I know some people use different things but whats in the stuff that people are using thats blue....

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
good luck getting that answer. most will not tell a soul whats in it. dont see the reasoning behind it. hope someone will shed a little light on whats in them.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It's probobly safety kleen your talking about (parts washer). Seems to work better on F brushes than Putnams. It cleans the crap out of the motor and seats the brushes in quicker. You won't see any huge gains by using it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Tommygun43 said:
It's probobly safety kleen your talking about (parts washer). Seems to work better on F brushes than Putnams. It cleans the crap out of the motor and seats the brushes in quicker. You won't see any huge gains by using it.
Tommygun43 is right!

The best stuff that I found to use as a motor dip cleaner/breakin is denatured alcohol in a small can.

Just run in motor submerged at 3 volts for 10-15 secounds.
Leaves no residue on brushes or bearings.
And will no attack plastic so its safe to use.

Can be used over and over again just strain through a coffee filter or change with new denatured alcohol. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
RPM said:
Tommygun43 is right!

The best stuff that I found to use as a motor dip cleaner/breakin is denatured alcohol in a small can.

Just run in motor submerged at 3 volts for 10-15 secounds.
Leaves no residue on brushes or bearings.
And will no attack plastic so its safe to use.

Can be used over and over again just strain through a coffee filter or change with new denatured alcohol. :thumbsup:
I hope your medical and fire insurance is payed up. Yikes!!! It's definitely not "safe" to use.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have always used denatured alchohol with no problems. Just get two masson jars fill one with alcohol and use a coffee filter to strain the dirty fluid back and forth between the two jars. By the way you can find it at any drug store or walmart type store.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
davepull said:
Ok now here's a question WHY??
Dave we used to do it years ago. It will seat the brushes in about 15-20". We never messed with alchohol...we just used water , pulled out the motor and spray it down with motor cleaner.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
most of the fast guys around here use saftey clean after a run we dip it in a jar clausen jars are better i think the left over pickle juice does something lol. for abought 20 sec then i flush out with motor spray and re oil after its cool i re dyno to get rollout re adjusted

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
martian 710 said:
I hope your medical and fire insurance is payed up. Yikes!!! It's definitely not "safe" to use.
LOL!!

Denatured Alcohol is not as flamable as you think.

Years ago there was a company that sold it in a can.
I'll try to remember the name and post it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
dave w 1 said:
most of the fast guys around here use saftey clean after a run we dip it in a jar clausen jars are better i think the left over pickle juice does something lol. for abought 20 sec then i flush out with motor spray and re oil after its cool i re dyno to get rollout re adjusted
yah but why? what does it do?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Wade, that's exactly the way we did it. The alcohol absorbs the water so you don't get any rusting. Motor spray will do the same, but costs more. Water will break those brush's in QUICK! lol

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
RPM said:
LOL!!

Denatured Alcohol is not as flamable as you think.

Years ago there was a company that sold it in a can.
I'll try to remember the name and post it. :thumbsup:
I'm pretty sure denatured alcohol is just ethanol with an additive to make it undrinkable. Years ago I used to use Bolink Electrowhirl I don't think it was alcohol though.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
davepull said:
yah but why? what does it do?

the reason ......

1. Breaks in brushes reallllly quick

2. It will not arc the comm during break in so comm stays cleaner

3. Cleans the crap out of the motor with out wasting 50 thousand dollars on motor spray :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
so provides no real performance enhancement. seems to me someone saw a fast guy doing it now they are doing it.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts