Hobbyist Forums banner

motor break-in

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BIGSHOW 
#1 · (Edited)
Motor break-in,g230rc 8.5 plate.
Lets hear different ideas.

#2 ·
I have a new HRE motor with 10.5 plate. David from HRE idled one tank through it. Then told me to run 1 tank at 4K RPM without the belt and another at 8K RPM with belt on to get some resistance. After that put a lot of laps on to get it totally broke in.

That's my 2 cents worth!

#6 ·
The biggest thing with a break in is to seat the ring. I use a prop to provide a load and use regular 30wt. non detergent motor oil mixed with regular gas. Synthetic oil does not allow the ring to seat as quick. Mix 6oz. oil to a gallon of gas. Set the carb a tad rich and let the motor come up to temp then crank it up and let it run thru a tank of fuel 8 ounces or more. Now, let the motor cool down. check it over and when cool fire it up and repeat the procedure above. After a quart of fuel you should be ready to put in the car and go for it. It will get a bit stronger on each run. Don't run it too lean when breaking in or when racing.
Second method is mount it in the car and run it. This takes much longer to seat the ring but it will eventually come around.

#7 ·
1. Take it easy on the engine for the first two tanks

2. Heat cycle twice, run the engine for 20 minutes and let it fully cool down

3. We recommend 91 octane fuel, mixed at 32:1 or greater Our preffered oil is Non-Synthetic.

4. Let your engine warm up before driving

5. Try to vary the rpms during breaking.

6. Always check the plug to make sure you are rich and not leaning out.

7. DO NOT HOLD FULL THROTTLE UNTIL THE ENGINE IS COMPLETELY BROKEN IN!!!

8. Do not use octane booster

9. Break in with a load.

10. Make sure air cleaner is clean

11. After break in, go back and re-torque Head and Manifold bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.