Votes: 19 7.9%
  • Other - Please List

Votes: 12 5.0%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through the years many things have been introduced and/or improved in RC. We can look at ESCs, rebuildable motors, and computer radios as just some of the things that we now have that makes things much better. There are even some that may have made things worse. But one thing we can say is that they have made an impact.

I have a few items in the poll that I think are had a pretty big impact on RC. You can vote fore the one you think has had the most impact and tell us why. If you think something else has had a bigger impact, just pick the Other option and tell us what it is.

While this doesn’t prove anything, it should make for some interesting reflection and discussion.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tires in general

I have to say Tire compounds I mostly run offroad. And if you cant turn or hookup its not a good day.. I know the 1st RC car I had back in 89 It was a Tamaya Astute 2 WD It had the spike tires all the way around. LOL It was fast till it had to turn, And I was running Dirt Oval back then. Just if I had the tires that are on the market today along with the 1200 battery's packs. LOL

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I voted for ESCs too. A very close second place (maybe a tie) would be something not on the list: Peak Chargers.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Other track owners will know why I voted for AMB timing. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
My vote...

...was for "Other", because I believe the materials used in the vehicles today has allowed for lighter cars, yet added strength.

·
Bret Lund
2,684 Posts
"most important innovation"

I NEVER had a problem with my wiper arm and servo combination, but have had a TON of speedo problems. I've always made do with tires, composite materials are not a big issue, ECT... SCORING on the other hand has the human error factor. If you've never run without one you'll never understand. Certianly "most important."

They're are more convient, better, faster, stronger, ect... But humans make mistakes, computers don't.

I voted for rebuildable motors before I thought about it.

Later, Bret

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
hank could you please add ready to run kits! the rtr kit of today is fantastic for the first timer. the hobby mayhave grown ten fold since the first emaxx/tmaxx kit was shipped? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I started to vote speedo's then thought with out AMB the other stuff isn't as big an issue. First you have to be scored in order to know where you finished.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Had to cast my vote for "other". IMHO "proportional radio" is the greatest innovation. Prior to that you had reeds or worse yet escapements(push button once for left, push button and hold for right, push button twice and hold for high throttle, crash after forgetting where in the sequence you are:( . Reeds gave you a wild pulsing turn. With proportional you could really drive the car instead of aiming it.

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
1.Electronic Speed Controls-easy to use....works almost everytime!
2.Other- RTR car/trucks...has been the number 1 selling item of all time(alot come with speed controllers)..but, has had a negitve effect on R/C racing. RTR is for the backyard bashers, the lazy, the quick fix type... most have no clue how their RTR works.....Hobby shop owners love them!
3. The rest has had little or no effect on r/c, other than the cost of equipment. Some more, some less!
Rebuildable Motors
Matched Battery Packs
Computer Radios
Use of Composite Materials
Formation of ROAR
Soft Compound Tires
AMB Timing System -only effect on less than 5% of r/c...
Purpose Built RC Tracks
Other -

R/C, is mostly made up of ppl that will never race. They will spend $3000 on a T-Max to chase the cat with. You will never see them at the race track. They will tell you racing cost to much money!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I voted "Other" ... when I think of THE single most important rc innovation I think of the original Associated RC10 kit. It took us from the level of spiffy toys to true hobby-grade equipment, and led to the explosion of RC in the USA. I don't say this lightly, as I'm a died-in-the-wool LOSI lover and it pains me to credit AE with this, but I think the introduction of the first true "race quality" kit ranks as the "most important" rc innovation ever! imho. :D

[maybe my memory is off here, all you RC historians out there feel free to correct me if you know of a previous kit that did as much for RC]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts