Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Antimatter's "Your picks for the most famous planes" thread got me thinking about the flipside: What about aviation's biggest flops? What would you include on a list of the least successful, worst conceived, most impractical, or just plain weirdest aircraft?

The Capelis XC-12 is my first nominee for the list. The single prototype ended up as a movie prop at RKO Studios. Its best-known appearance was in the survival melodrama Five Came Back.

Capelis XC-12 Wikipedia article

That's the revised version above. The original was even uglier:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, some of the early Comets crashed due to unforseen metal-fatigue problems in the fuselage structure. But later production models were successful in both civil and military service. And besides, it was so damn pretty.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
One of the factors that caused the Comet to crash was the use of the big rectangular picture windows seen in the second photo...once they redesigned them to the oval type it went on to be very successful and formed the basis of the Nimrod maritime reconaissance aircraft.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My vote for the most outrageous "flying freak" is the eastern European, jet-powered crop duster biplane, the "Belphegore."

I was searching this forum last night and I saw this interesting thread from two years ago. I saw this XC-12 in an old movie once and thought it was a figment of the prop (pun intended) department's imagination.

It turns out there is a circa 1940 pressed steel toy that closely resembles this "Capelis XC-12" but of course, it does not have that funny biplane tail.

Capelis XC-12 Wikipedia article

Wyandotte Defense Bomber, missing wooden bombs.

Antimatter's "Your picks for the most famous planes" thread got me thinking about the flipside: What about aviation's biggest flops? What would you include on a list of the least successful, worst conceived, most impractical, or just plain weirdest aircraft?

The Capelis XC-12 is my first nominee for the list. The single prototype ended up as a movie prop at RKO Studios. Its best-known appearance was in the survival melodrama Five Came Back.

·
Premium Member
2,830 Posts
Regarding that Caproni Ca.60, I'm guessing the model number was actually the altitude- in-feet number. That test pilot was lucky!
Very "steampunk-looking".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts