Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have some real display space I got out more of my big figure kits...

Aurora's Batman and Robin in their new habitat

My Aurora Knights... and now I can finish the Gold Knight and build the Silver one. I built and painted the Black Knight here back in the 70s. I was probably about 12 then. I built the Blue Knight in the late 80s but didn't finish it until around 2000. The Red Knight is a recent build.

Aurora's Zorro from the Atlantis reissue.

And Monarch's excellent Sinbad

I still have a lot of books and kits to put away

·
Registered
861 Posts
DJ, beautiful models. Wonderful display area. Is this what the well-dressed model fanatic will be wearing this year?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Beautiful looking models and a great display case. I'm sure it will be nice to be surrounded by that collection of figures and books. Looks like a comfortable space.

Regards,
MattL

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Looking really nice DJ, nice to get settled into a big place isn't it? Those knights really look great as does everything else.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ! Yeah its awesome to have SPACE. Being in a tiny apartment just wasn't doing it. And, I wanted to set up my den in a way that would add value to my house PLUS look good. If you are going to do something, don't do it half ass. All the shelves were DIY kits from Ikea. Honestly, you read a lot of jokes and snide comments about Ikea stuff but I felt these were really good for the money. I had talked to a custom cabinet maker about having this stuff done "professionally" and the cost was staggering. I was able to build these fairly quickly (about 20 mins per shelf). All of the doors, lights, etc. were a breeze to install. I may get doors to cover the whole top shelf all around. The way the cases are designed, its all modular and you can mix and match them in a variety of ways. I may even get some low 1/4 high ones that could wrap around the windows on the other wall of the room. I live by myself so I don't have to really consider what anyone else thinks, but a set up like this is attractive and if I get married again, I doubt the Mrs. would mind such a well kept space.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Looks Cool:thumbsup:
....Hey... nothing wrong with Ikea:wave:
Denis

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'm envious mate!!
I've actually just moved into a tiny single bedroom apartment and have kits stuffed into all the nooks and crannies I can find!:drunk:
I love the way you're setting up your home. It looks fantastic!
BTW, your Sinbad's one of the best builds I've seen so far. Very lifelike fleshtones!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll be visiting Ikea again for a few more of these Klingsbo cabinets and also an entertainment unit for the idiot box. They're bloody exxy here but I have to admit they look good and display my builtups nicely.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the Ikea "Billy" system here. The large size cases in white are only $70 and the top riser in white is about $20. In the brown color they are more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Nice kits and the room really looks great.

Just a question about the Ikea cabinets. Are they made of real wood or pressboard/particleboard? The doors look to be real wood. But, it's hard to tell if the sides are real wood. Hint: on the back of the sides(the part that faces the wall) you will see real wood grain or the edge of pressboard. Same with the shelves. Also, are the backs a solid board or cardboard?
Bob

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The big parts are particle board with some sort of veneer or finish. For $75 to $125 you aren't going to get solid wood construction. But, everything that is visible has a good finish to it. The backs are some sort of thin veneer and/or cardboard that you nail in place. The doors have some real wood and actual glass versus plex. I had looked into having custom made wood cabinets but the same set up was going to be at least $10,000 if not much, much, more.

If you visit the Ikea web site you can download the instruction manuals for all of their products.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Wow. What a beautiful office space. And I can't help but take note of the folded flag which is the centerpiece of the den.
Nice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The big parts are particle board with some sort of veneer or finish. For $75 to $125 you aren't going to get solid wood construction. But, everything that is visible has a good finish to it. The backs are some sort of thin veneer and/or cardboard that you nail in place. The doors have some real wood and actual glass versus plex. I had looked into having custom made wood cabinets but the same set up was going to be at least $10,000 if not much, much, more.

If you visit the Ikea web site you can download the instruction manuals for all of their products.
Thanks for the info.:thumbsup: I worked in a custom cabinet shop years ago. I sorta figured the Ikea bookcases were made like this from your pricing. Nothing wrong with them. Just don't fill them up with a bunch of books or heavy items. They will start to buckle in the center of the shelves. ;) Whoever was giving you the high quotes for custom cabinets was really price gouging you. :drunk: I would build a set like that, deliver and install for $4000 to $5000. But, that does you little good now.:freak: Take care of the Ikea and they will last you a long time. Again, your kits look really good in that display.:cool:
Bob

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remember I have more shelves than what you see here... I have another 12 feet of book cases, doors lights, etc. to go elsewhere. Basic 6-7 foot custom cases were not too bad but bumping them up to 8 foot, and adding doors, adjustable lights, etc. really pushed the price up.

I have some other similar book cases and the shelves have probably dipped by just a couple of millimeters in the 15-18 years I have had them. There are some easy fixes too like screwing a small piece of L shaped angle iron along the back edge and painting it dark brown.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, they will not dip much as long as you don't put alot of weight on them: like a stack of books.;) Again, your set-up looks really good.
Bob

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These should do ok. I can always flip the shelves over if there is a huge problem. Half of the cases are only a foot and a half wide or so; not big enough to really bow. In theory too I can get some new hardwood shelves cut. That might be an interesting option.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts