Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ron, Kevin, Adam and I met up with the Tereks and Chris for the Highland Toy show. After we were done there we did some local hits. At K-Bee we found a whole aisle of Motor Max stuff. They have some pretty cool 5 pack cars set on 4X4 style pull-back chassis. The had pegs of the 3 inch line that is .50 each. That's right, I said .50 each. I picked up the Merc and the Saleen. They do have a plastic base but still were pretty heavy castings. The one piece wheels were the only things holding these back so after I do a wheel swap I'll take some pictures and post just how nice these are. With a simple factory wheel upgrade these casting would hold their own easy, especially with Fresh Cherry style wheels.

I also noted the deep red metal flake paint on the Merc was top quality. I did a skull pateern on it and compared in the the JL Camaro and the paint jobs are vitually indentical in quality.

The one casting we were all trying to find escaped us, which was the VW W-12. I would really like to see how well they did that one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear All:

New casting for the base series (the $ .50 one) are the GTO Judge,Dodge Magnum and Hummers,among others.I will go to K Bee and try to find these. Their base series (6000 series) were their first cars,a step above than the ones from Zee Toys, and still have a new model now and them.

On the Cherries front anxious for the Reliant and T/C SW in both 1/24 and 1/64.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had we seen the GTO and Magnum I would have gotten those as well. They were long gone. You could tell by the peg set that there was 10 pegs supposed to be filled. Of that maybe 1/5 of the castings remained.

If the wheels were more along the lines of the new Matchbox or better yet JL "B" wheel or vintage redline I would have bought them all. At this price these cars would fly off the pegs as they were doing a pretty good job anyway!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Mark you must have read my mind. Just last night I drilled out the rivets of that same red merc and did a wheel swap from a JL Plymouth fury. It has white wall tires that give the old merc the classic 50s hot rod look.

The cheap 50 cent castings done by Motormax are of much higher quality than most HWs now. All they need a simple wheel swap. I ended up getting two of the mercs just for wheels swaps.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
craftymore said:
Mark you must have read my mind. Just last night I drilled out the rivets of that same red merc and did a wheel swap from a JL Plymouth fury. It has white wall tires that give the old merc the classic 50s hot rod look.

The cheap 50 cent castings done by Motormax are of much higher quality than most HWs now. All they need a simple wheel swap. I ended up getting two of the mercs just for wheels swaps.
Oh I agree and LOOK at that paint. That is top quality. It's hard to tell from the MM site but there is indeed pad prints for the lights, front and rear markings etc. Like you said, if baby moons were applied that casting would easily pass for the 4.00 range.

I was going to drill mine out yesterday and found my drill was left at my MIL's so that will be a fun Monday night task. I'll supply pics on Tuesday.

You know what would be really cool? If MM would use screws on these rather than rivits just like FC's. Then the swap would be REALLY easy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dear All:

Regarding the 6000 series,I managed to grab everything I could find,except for some of the Generic Castings (to be frank,even these look good). And yes,the Motormax Crown Vic has more painted detail than the one from Matchbox or Welly. Is the Basement Series to have.

Like some predict that the Town & County SW will be a pain to find,I believe that the Magnum,GTO,Hummers from the Basic Series will also not so easy to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts