Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what's on your turntable,...er...CD player? While finally being able to throw myself back into modelling, I have started going through the ol' album (yep! Vinyl!!) collection and revvin' up the turntable. My albums are currently all in boxes in the basement, so I've been bringing up one at a time. What a blast going through stuff I'd even forgotten that I have! The first box I brought up was unmarked. It happened to contain L - Mc, or Loggins and Messina through McCartney. One of the strange things I've noticed is that, having spent years as a DJ, I've got a lot of stuff that I probably wouldn't have bought, left to my own likes and dislikes. But, with the stuff passing for new music(?) these days, even the stuff I used to hate (as far as 'dance' music) NOW sounds almost okay. Must be mellowing out in my old age, huh?

Anyways, what are y'all listening to these days as slap those kits together?

Wayne

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Alot of John Williams (the dvd from '1941' has the entire score on a score-only audio track!).

Pirates of the Carribean score.

"The Company of Wolves" soundtrack - starting to get into that October vibe.

Kate Bush

Berlin

Stevie Nicks

Alan Parsons Project

That's just latley. Love Sarah McLachlan, but she hasn't gone well with the kits I'm doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I actually hooked up of my older model turntables the other day - the newer one I've got has been down for several months and will remain that way until I can afford to replace the cartridge. So as far as records go... Dave Navarro, David Bowie, The Cure, Horrorpops, Ministry, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Siouxie and the Banshees, The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack, Some Beatles, Alice Cooper and the soundtrack to American Graffitti.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm surprised that "Mango Man" hasn't popped in here yet to check and make some inane commentary about this being off-topic....

Rebel Rocker said:
...what's on your turntable,...er...CD player? While finally being able to throw myself back into modelling, I have started going through the ol' album (yep! Vinyl!!) collection and revvin' up the turntable. My albums are currently all in boxes in the basement, so I've been bringing up one at a time. What a blast going through stuff I'd even forgotten that I have! The first box I brought up was unmarked. It happened to contain L - Mc, or Loggins and Messina through McCartney. One of the strange things I've noticed is that, having spent years as a DJ, I've got a lot of stuff that I probably wouldn't have bought, left to my own likes and dislikes. But, with the stuff passing for new music(?) these days, even the stuff I used to hate (as far as 'dance' music) NOW sounds almost okay. Must be mellowing out in my old age, huh?

Anyways, what are y'all listening to these days as slap those kits together?

Wayne
I was a DJ as well ("on-air personality") once upon a time and had quite the collection of vinyl, cassettes, reel-to-reel and CD. Same as you, I had stuff I didn't like. One thing I miss is the "King Biscuit Flower Hour" CD's I had, of which one disc set was John Lennon in Central Park or Madison Square Garden, I forget for sure tho it was one of his last performances. Dad sold all that stuff not long after I joined the USAF, tho. At least he got a decent chunk of money out of it all. :(

Anyhow, I've been listening to a wide variety of stuff. Mostly Big Hair Band music lately, but I did pull out the Grease soundtrack the other day. My kids loved it so much we listened to it three times. :D

- - - - - -

Jeffrey Griffin
Griffworks Shipyards

Star Trek Scale Modeling WebRing

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lately I've been trying something different. I have a truckload of mp3s about half of which I made and half that I've acquired from other people. I have a computer setup in my hobby room and I'm using iTunes. It gets quite interesting when I put it in party shuffle mode. From Zeppelin to Sinatra, Pink to Pink Floyd. Some of the songs that come up I've never even heard before. I like the randomness about it. Of course occasionally there may be one that either doesn't appeal or fit, but then it's just a mouse click and I'm onto the next song. :D

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Good Line up guys! :thumbsup:

For me lately its been:

SOUNDTRACKS:

Mission to mars, Gladiator and Lord of the rings ( cartoon version )

ROCK and Various:

Pink Floyd, Moody blues, ULTRAVOX, Alan Parsons project ( to name just a few )

But mostly Chuck Mangione 'FEELS SO GOOD' cd cuz it reminds me of the summer of STAR WARS 1977 when I got my first R2D2 model kit and I'm working on it again right now. talk about TIME TRAVEL!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always enjoy seeing the wide range of stuff modelers listen to.

Griff, I'd kill for a copy of that King Biscuit Lennon!! And as to the 'Grease' soundtrack, in light of all the battles the FCC is currently having with radio stations, it's obvious that a member of the FCC has yet to sit down and listen to 'Greased Lightning'! It makes me laugh everytime I see that a high school is doing 'Grease' as their musical, 'cause the lyrics aren't changed. BTW, I don't consider this as off topic (stop laughing), I merely am inquiring as to what audio tools you other modelers use for the inspiration to turn out such awe inspiring work.

Prisoner, that's something I also like to do. Load up the disc changer with cd's I've burned, hit shuffle, and start modelling.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Lately it's been Stevie Ray Vaugn, John Lee Hooker, BB King, and the soundtrack to O' Brother. Plus a few that I've burned myself featuring various SF soundtracks.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Lucinda Williams, Tift Merritt, Dusty Springfield, Steve Earl, Loretta Lynn, The White Stripes, Audioslave, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Aerosmith, The Beach Boys, The Drive-by Truckers, Nirvana, Nick Drake, The Kinks, Randy Newman, The Clash, Elvis Costello, Ian Hunter, Mott The Hoople.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
Don't tell anybody, but since I discovered file sharing, I've been downloading every damn song I ever liked (that I can think of). I have 6.2 gigs worth on my PC, and about 14 CDs burned with mixes, which I listen to in the car on my commute. I just went and got a 5-disk changer for my hopme system so i can play the mixes at parties (if any of my damn friends ever show up!).

Here's my first 5 compliations, ferinstance:
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/label01.jpghttp://www.inpayne.com/temp/label02.jpghttp://www.inpayne.com/temp/label01.jpg
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/label02.jpg
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/label03.jpg
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/label04.jpg
http://www.inpayne.com/temp/label05.jpg

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
About 40 cds of mp3s. Maybe 50.
I've burnt quite a few of my old records and tapes myself. Some of my favorite stuff from my youth is not on cd so I bought all the record player stuff from a pawn shop and digitized it, then cleaned it in cooleditpro, and burnt cds or mp3s. All the equipment was Sony, Akai and JVC and cost about 60 bucks total. Nobody wants it anymore.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Right now everything's Mp3....I need to replace the Original Soundtracks that were actually released sometime soon, but that's a lot of money to spend on the scores unless I can get them for fairly cheap. But I've got a lot of bootleg 2-disc complete scores and couple of 1-disc complete scores. But I've got way to many scores to list my entire collection :lol:

Trent

·
Registered
564 Posts
Lots of Jimmy Buffett. Very relaxing. I was able to go to two concerts this summer. Buffett and Frank Sinatra are my modeling music.
Others of late: Tracy Lawrence, Toby Kieth, Lord of the Rings sound track, Jethro Tull, Led Zepplin, Elvis.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yahoo!!! FINALLY!! The box of albums I just brought up has soundtracks in it! Star Wars, Jaws, Rollerball, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles.... Ah! It's a great day to be a modeler!!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
John - I noted a Beach Boys track on your list. They do a surprisingly nice version of "California Dreamin" by the way.

I downloaded the opening blurb from the Adam West Batman TV show. Y'know, "Engines to power, turbines to speed" and the theme song. I play it in the car for my buddy's kids, who get a real hoot out of it!
Huzz

·
Oxidation Genius
31,226 Posts
Dave, I'm finding a LOT of interestng covers out there!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sound tracks:
Lord of the Rings(all three)
The Dark Crystal (two cd set)
The Neverending Story (two cd set)
Mortal Kombat (both cds)
All the cartoon theme songs from the 80's cartoons

Music:
50s, 60s, 70s, 80s music

1 - 19 of 19 Posts