Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so mad! I bid on an item and in the last few seconds, I was sniped for $.30
It's happened before too! They should either set up anti-snipe software or allow the bidding to go on if it's hot. Jerks.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,267 Posts
eBay is like an old toaster.
If you sit there and watch the auction, it goes sky high for no reason.
If you miss seeing it, the auction ends with one bid. Another great deal, you missed.

Rich

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
unless there my auctions, alot of 1 bidders and "your item didn't sell"s.
then when i go after similar things, bamm outbid.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I am so mad! I bid on an item and in the last few seconds, I was sniped for $.30
It's happened before too! They should either set up anti-snipe software or allow the bidding to go on if it's hot. Jerks.
Why the heck didn't you bid $.30 more??? Were you willing to pay more for the item? If so, why didn't you bid more?

I totally get where your coming from my friend, but you can't complain if you bid your max and get outgunned.

I use sniping software because I admittedly forget about the auctions and then miss out. I just set it to bid in the last 5 seconds, sometimes I still get outbid, other times I score some great deals, I just make sure I put in exactly what I am willing to pay for it and it's all good....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I put in a $30 bid when the current bid was $24. Then got out bid by 1% virtually at the last second. I would have bid more but the same thing would have happened. I think the snipe was set to top the current bid. If I bid $100, I'd lose by $1.

When somebody snipes the bid, there is no time to raise. Real auctions give bidders a chance to raise. I'd rather pay a little more and buy it now.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I put in a $30 bid when the current bid was $24. Then got out bid by 1% virtually at the last second. I would have bid more but the same thing would have happened. I think the snipe was set to top the current bid. If I bid $100, I'd lose by $1.

When somebody snipes the bid, there is no time to raise. Real auctions give bidders a chance to raise. I'd rather pay a little more and buy it now.
That isn't how a snipe works.... you put in a bid just like everyone else, you just put in your max bid and set it for a certain amount of time before the auction ends (this is how it works with bidnip). It's not possible to set a bid to go over another bid by 1%, it all comes down to what you enter in for a maximum, whether it's a snipe or you do it yourself.

You're always better off just bidding what you're willing to pay for, trying to bid in small increments never seems to work that well, at least for me...

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I am my own snipe software. ( (I have a 3 hand clock on the wall in sinc with the auction time. It is more fun that way.)If I am determined to own a particular piece, I will snipe w/ 5.00 over what I think that YOU think it is worth. Rarely does the end amount ever go more than a dollar into my extra 5.00. More often than not, I win my snipes and I will only pay .50 more than YOU* were willing to spend. :thumbsup:

If I am not available at the personal confuser to actually make my own snipe, then I figure I just didn't want the piece bad enough. Simple as that.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am my own snipe software. ( (I have a 3 hand clock on the wall in sinc with the auction time. It is more fun that way.)If I am determined to own a particular piece, I will snipe w/ 5.00 over what I think that YOU think it is worth. Rarely does the end amount ever go more than a dollar into my extra 5.00. More often than not, I win my snipes and I will only pay .50 more than YOU* were willing to spend. :thumbsup:

If I am not available at the personal confuser to actually make my own snipe, then I figure I just didn't want the piece bad enough. Simple as that.
That's kinda like what I do. I guess my guess, was a little shy. I guess that 1% was a coincidence. I'm doing a lot of guessing this morning.(scratches head):confused::hat:

·
Registered
787 Posts
A good inexpensive sniping program like Auction Defender will make your eBay life more pleasurable. Be warned that it will not prevent you from bidding on "turds". :)

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I have no problem with snipers, as they usually save me from I bid I really shouldn't have made on an item I really didn't need. There are a couple instances though that a sniper did irk me though. For example the time I was bidding on an item using ebay countdown and according to it I won the item, only to find when I went on my ebay to pay for it, ebay said I lost the auction. That one really pissed me off!!:mad:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey Marty!!!! SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! quiet please. The cat was perfectly happy in the bag.
Clyde-0-Mite
LOL, hey just try to help a brother out..... :)

I figure I am not bidding on the same stuff anyways. You guys can bid on all of the NICE, MINTY, except for the one small nick that covers half the body items that I'm not looking at! :tongue:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I always wait until the last 30 seconds and put in my maximum bid. If I don't do it that way someone always outbids me even if I bid more then it's worth. Even doing it this way Ive still had people raise the bidding in the last few seconds.
What's up with the auctions that end at midnight or 1 o'clock and later? Is there an advantage to having auctions close in the middle of the night? Maybe it's a way to weed out the last minute bidders.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What's up with the auctions that end at midnight or 1 o'clock and later? Is there an advantage to having auctions close in the middle of the night? Maybe it's a way to weed out the last minute bidders.
I LOVE those auctions, because no one is usually watching them and I always seem to get a better deal.... Last minute bidders are better than no bidders at all.

The ideal time to end an auction for me is around 8 or 9. Most people are home from work, have had dinner and the kids are asleep and they can log in and do some bidding.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I use auctionstealer and this works well for me. Reason: Due to the time difference between Germany and USA it`s the only chance for me to place
winning bids on epay US without sitting on 5.am in front of my pc :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I LOVE those auctions, because no one is usually watching them and I always seem to get a better deal.... Last minute bidders are better than no bidders at all.

The ideal time to end an auction for me is around 8 or 9. Most people are home from work, have had dinner and the kids are asleep and they can log in and do some bidding.

I think it's because of the time zone difference. An auction that ends at 1 AM in NY is ending at 10PM in LA. I always try to end my auctions about 10:30PM NY time

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use auctionstealer and this works well for me. Reason: Due to the time difference between Germany and USA it`s the only chance for me to place
winning bids on epay US without sitting on 5.am in front of my pc :)
I can see your point there! I'm sure it's a good tool for when you can't be at the 'puter when the auction ends.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Auctionsniper

I use a sniper because it prevents me from "getting the fever" and bidding more than I should (which I've done a couple of times live). I figure out what I'm willing to spend, enter the bid and forget it. Plus I don't drive up the auction price early. For me it's a sane way to keep from over bidding.

Tom

ps my new favorite "Nice" is "LOOK!" or "[email protected]@K!", like putting that in the title will convince me I must LOOK!

·
Registered
110 Posts
sniper bids

Sometimes they have saved me from paying too much. Most times, I set my own limit and then leave it. Win some, lose some.:dude::dude:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts