Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,236 Posts
He has trained ferrets with flashlight living inside the model. I betcha!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
grantf said:
umm.. please?
Sorry I took so long to answer your question. I've been away from the computer for a couple of days. Ok, here's how the lighting works. The ferrets hold the flashlights in their teeth. A small electric shock is applied to the ferret's tails, thus causing them to jump suddenly and flick the switches on the flashlights. This, of course, is timed to match the strobes and nav lights on the studio model!......also, a few ccfls and white led's have been added to to help out a little, not too many though. That would make the ferrets angry. And we all know how nasty angry ferrets can be.

Disclaimer: No ferrets were permanantly harmed in the making of this model :devil:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
grantf said:
thanks, do they sell ferrets at radio shack? and don't they smell just a little?
Only if you don't have 'em "descented". I had a couple of the little buggers not too long ago. Cute as hell & a fun mix between puppies, kittens & a two year old kid. :freak:
No Starfleet uniforms for my fuzzies, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
drewid142 said:
awww... go on... tell the guy how you lit it for real! There's a bunch of us waiting to read it!
Thanks for all of the kind words guys. That really helps keep me motivated to finish this beast of a model. Heres a brief overview of the lighting.

There are five 4 inch ccfts in the saucer, 3 more in the secondary hull. These give all of the windows a nice even white glow. The inner warp grills are lit by 12 inch blue ccfts (the kind you get at the computer store) They look much better in person than in pictures as the camera tends to over expose them a bit. Behind the deflector dish is an old flashlight reflector, a fourth ccft shines through that. The dish also is removable giving some access to the wiring inside.

All of the floodlights, like on the front of the nacelles, are white led's. In places where it wasn't convenient to use an led directly, I used fiberoptic to get the light where I wanted it. The navigation and formation lights are all led's, each of these is driven by a 555 timer circuit. A blue led sits under the impulse "crystal", and red ones for the impulse engines. I accidentally ended up with a cool effect in the impulse engines by forgetting to isolate the red leds from the rest of the lighting behind. When the red led's are turned off, the blue lighting from the crystal behind shines through them combined with some of the white internal lighting. Now the engines shine red, or blue-white. Just like in the first movie. two rectangular leds are used inside the photon tubes.

Most of the wiring inside is done in parallel so I don't need to worry about everything going out if one led would happen to fail. The internal lighting, the warp drive, impulse engines, nav/formation lights, and photon tubes are all on separate circuits so the they can be switched on and off independently. All of those ccft's are quite power hungry, the ship pulls over 3.5 Amps at 12 Volts with everything on! However, heat doesn't seem to be much of a problem, the outer surface barely gets warm to the touch.

So there you have it in a nutshell. I would expect that most of this would transfer quite well over to the PL kit. In fact it will probably be easier to light in some respects, especially the secondary hull as it won't come pre-assembled as the Deboer kit does. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a few of those kits as much as the rest of you! ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
You know, if any of the lights are overpowering the others in a photo, the bright ones can be switched off partway through the exposure ...

... if you're on a tripod, of course.

Steve

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Steve Roberts said:
You know, if any of the lights are overpowering the others in a photo, the bright ones can be switched off partway through the exposure ...

... if you're on a tripod, of course.

Steve
Yeah, that's one of the things I'd like to play with eventually. Maybe when it's all done.
:)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Like every one else here, I can't wait to see how this turns out. It looks great. Make sure you post pics when it's done!

Brad.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Deboer Enterprise

Nice job. I just joined this group. I'm actually working on the same kit from Deboer. I've got all of the aztec painting done on the saucer sections and I'm now working on the paneling of the Engineering section. I would post some pics but don't know how. If some one here could give me some direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Is nobody going to help this man post some pictures? I don't know how folks get past the very small size restrictions... but you can just use the manage attachments button

click the post reply button... you may need to sign in... then go down the page to the manage attachments and upload your pictures... if they don't show up they may be too big... try reducing the size, or if you can reduce the compression quality you can get them down in size... hopefully someone more knowlagable will chime in 'kuz I want to see your pictures!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Johnny: if you can email the pictures to me, I can host them on a web server for you. You can then include them in your post (inline or via links).

(email to paul1 at vpi dot biz)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Disillusionist said:
All of those ccft's are quite power hungry, the ship pulls over 3.5 Amps at 12 Volts with everything on!
12 Volts? Holy Crap! I'll bet that car battery looks kinda funny mounted underneath the ship! (New Federation cloaking device)

21 - 40 of 128 Posts