Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this subject has been covered.....but whats the deal with 2001 stuff?? Can't get license, or don't want to?

A 1/350 Plastic Discovery would be really cool.

Or Star Wars.....

A 1/350 Rebel Blockade Runner.

How about StarBlazer/Space Cruiser Yamato.

A 1/350 Yamato/Argo and Andromeda (and maybe a few others).

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
I think the story was that the studio "didn't think anybody would care about models from a 30 year old movie" so the studio didn't think it would be worth the trouble of licensing 2001.

How long was Discovery? It seems a 1/350 model would be awfully small.

A Yamato/Argo would be nice, but the big Bandai one is plenty big enough for my shelf :).

I just hope PL gets the TOS and refit Enterprises out before they decide it's too much trouble to make kits that big. Maybe follow those with a classic Klingon and Romulan if they keep going. Then a Reliant and a K'Tinga.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I would like a "space station". A really nice detailed, lighted one that we could use as a centerpiece. Hang it from the ceiling in the middle, and then have all the other (hopefully) 1/350th releases hanging from the ceiling around it. Like they are getting ready to dock.

O.K. O.K. so I am dreaming. LOL!

James :)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was said in 2010 that Discovery was 800 feet long. So a 1/350 Discovery would measure in around......

27.42 in. long. Not that small actually.

I know Bandai has the Yamato license. And someone does make a 1/350 Andromeda in resin. (Seen it on HLJ)

Someone said something about a 1/350 space station.

Actually what about a 1/1000 DS9??

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I guess I should have been more specific. I didn't mean a Star Trek space station. Was thinking more along the lines of a new one by PL or whoever (as PL tends to only do licenceable (sp) subjects). One that could be considered a "universal" generic one. And you could put whatever spaceships you wanted with it. Star Trek, Babylon 5, 2001, Jupiter 2, C-57D, etc.. Even mix them together. Whatever.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I think we chased 2001 already once. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think that the license is tied up in the Stanley Kubrik estate
or something goofy like that.
For what it's worth we tried really hard, to get the thing for 2001 we thought it would be real cool to release 2001 Space Odessey kits IN 2001. We wanted to do a re-pop Moon Bus, we had drawings of Discovery and some other hardware as well. I don't remember all the details but I do know that the license was not to be had at that time.
There is some neat stuff in 2001, but Star Trek seems like much bigger series of opportunities, and our budget has some limits!

Dave :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
We know Dave. Having the Star Trek licence is great. Just having a bit of fun dreaming. LOL!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
So, once the Star Trek thing has run its course in, oh, ten or fifteen years, and you've done kits of every single caiptal ship in 1/1000, all the smaller ones in 1/350 (that is, Excelsior and under), and all the shuttlecraft in 1/24 - THEN will you give 2001 a shot again?

:D

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
I have a 1/350 model of the Andromeda from Space Cruiser Yamato,from a company named Big Models in Japan.The hulls are resin coated foam,with resin and cast metal parts.It cost me more than $500.00.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Tepes, we discussed the size of DS9 in another thread a while back. Even at 1/1000 it would be too big. Somewhere around 5.25 feet in diameter. 1/2500 would be around 25"-26" in diameter, and would match the two existing Enterprise 3-ship sets. But they'd better toss a 1/2500 Defiant in the box, too!

(I think my numbers are fairly close, as I remember seeing somewhere that the docking ring on DS9 was about 1 mile in diameter.)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
spe130 said:
(I think my numbers are fairly close, as I remember seeing somewhere that the docking ring on DS9 was about 1 mile in diameter.)
No no, one kilometer, not one mile. But the DS9 tech manual calls it as 1400 meters.

So a 1/1000 kit would be 1.4 meters. 1/2500 would be 56 centimeters, or about 22 inches.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Seconded 1:350 Corellian Corvette and Discovery.

With the latter in mind, perhaps a Leonov? Everything else I can think of is in 1:1000, and that's primarily Trek kits. (E-A, -C, -D, -E, perhaps?)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
One kilometer, one mile - either way DS9 would be huge in 1/1000. I sure don't have room for it. Besides, if it were to be made at 1/2500, Ertl already has the molds to make us some nice 24th century ships to go with it (all they need to add are Voyager and Defiant). Hmm...maybe a 3rd 1/2500 3-ship set: Voyager, Defiant, and NX-01 . :dude:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Just scratchbuild a DS9 in 1/1000 scale. Use the plans and model kit as a template, then scale it up.

The great thing is that you only have to build a third of the outer sections as a master, and the whole central core. Make molds and cast the parts. That's what was done with the studio model.

On the other hand, I think that K-7 would be a prime candidate for a 1/1000 styrene kit. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dave Metzner said:
I think we chased 2001 already once. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think that the license is tied up in the Stanley Kubrik estate
or something goofy like that.
For what it's worth we tried really hard, to get the thing for 2001 we thought it would be real cool to release 2001 Space Odessey kits IN 2001. We wanted to do a re-pop Moon Bus, we had drawings of Discovery and some other hardware as well. I don't remember all the details but I do know that the license was not to be had at that time.
There is some neat stuff in 2001, but Star Trek seems like much bigger series of opportunities, and our budget has some limits!

Dave :D
Too bad. I would have liked a model of the Discovery.

Any news on when the 2005 kits will be announced? Last rumor I heard was in February.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
falcondesigns said:
I have a 1/350 model of the Andromeda from Space Cruiser Yamato,from a company named Big Models in Japan.The hulls are resin coated foam,with resin and cast metal parts.It cost me more than $500.00.
Droool!

I saw those kits on HLJ. How do they look in real life?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Would the 1/350th scale Discovery also include the steel tube needed to support the weight and keep the spine straight? I would really like to see Bandai do a lighted Defiant. Perhaps a larger scale than the others since it is a slightly smaller (Little!?) ship. Aside from a few little slip-ups, Bandai's Voyager is pretty damned sweet!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I know it's a pipe dream but I'd like to see a Daedalus in 1/350. A 1/350 Botany Bay would be sweet too. It would also be very cool if PL could do some Battlestar Galactica models. A 1/350 Galactica? LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts