Thanks Trevor...Better late than never:thumbsup:
There are Gold, Silver and Bronze painted plastic skulls with
the category and date scribed on each skull by Trevor...nice touch:thumbsup:

Post here when you get yours....
Denis

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Whatever happened to Trevor and Monster Hobbies? I would have loved to visit his place but being some 2000 miles away that was rather difficult. I know how hard it is for a brick and mortar hobby shop to survive these days, particularly in a small town.

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's still a member here and still in business...I see him on Facebook quite regularly.
Denis

·
Premium Member
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah his shop is still up and running...Maybe business is picking up a little as this whole Province seems to be in a Boom!
Denis

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm still alive and in business!

Sorry that it took me so long to get these trophies out. I have been very busy for the last...well, 11 months, I guess.

It all started when I got that house painting job back in August 2011. Times were hard then and the store was hitting a record low in sales. I made the tough decision to walk away from the store and take on a day job. I left my wife Julie in charge of the store during the day and I ran it on gaming nights and Saturdays.

In an attempt to save the store and get bills paid, I took on that job in the hopes it would correct everything. However, since both my wife and I work at different times in the day, we had to get a babysitter to look after our two little girls.

Well, this became an expense we didn't plan for and my attempts to get ahead finacially were just ending up putting me behind or leaving me at a stand still each month.

During all this, my new boss was insistant that I close my store down and work entirely for him, telling me I should make $5000+ a month (Unheard of in a small town) and if I wasn't making that much, then I was a failure. I disagreed and stuck to my guns and kept the store open. It's not like I haven't had to take another job in the past to keep my dream alive, by the way.

So in April, by boss decided to let me go because I was "Too slow" to be a house painter. He also showed up at my wife's work place and gave her a card for some kind of "Family Special Needs" because he figure that I had mental issues.

When I "Got Fired", I returned to my store (The whole reason why I kept it open) and got back behind the command chair and took hold of business again. Since April, my sales have been on a monthly incline starting at $2000 in April and finishing with $3500 last month. I can't wait to see where we stand at the end of this month!

So what's the secret to my new sucess? I have opened my store up to gaming nights 4 nights a week.

On Mondays we play Rapid-Fire, a WWII combat game using 1/72nd scale figures. I have some War Veterans playing it.

Wednesdays are Magic: The Gathering tournaments. I have hooked up with Wizards of the Coast at the entry level and the store is about to go "Core", meaning that I can host world games, get product directly from the factory and more. I just need to get 7 more new players signed up and then host a 12 person tournament.

Thursday nights we play Dungeons and Dragons here with some people. I mostly sell junk food on that night.

Friday nights we play Warhammer and /or Warhammer 40K. It's another table top battle game using figures.

I also just picked up a box of Strombecker track from a new wholesaler and we are looking at hosting 1/32nd and 1/25th scale slot car racing.

At the end of this week, we will be hosting a model car contest at the store in conjunction with the local car show.

I am wondering if you guys want me to host "Build a monster" again this year, although it took me forever to send out the prizes and I feel ashamed for taking so long. It's up to you. Please let me know what to do.

Talk to you soon!

Trevor Ursulescu
Monster Hobbies
http://www.monster-hobbies.com/

Follow us on Facebook to keep up with the latest news!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Build a monster

Trevor,

I'd be up for (another) "Build a Monster" contest! I missed out on your first one, but let's do it again!

Phil K

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
MCR,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that sticking to your guns has paid off. To paraphrase Scotty in Star Trek: The Motion Picture: "Sich a man I wouldna dare disappoint". I'll definitely enter the next Monster Hobbies Contest, whenever you have one (in fact, I'm coming down the home stretch on a project right now; instead of posting photos on this board, I'll save it for the MH Contest).

And the 2011 trophies arrived today. Frankly, I knew you were having some tough sledding and wasn't expecting anything at all. Thank you, Trevor, for those neato little skulls and the newspaper clipping - so cool to be able to say my stuff's been published in Canada! :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts