Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who else besides monogram makes a flying sub ? i know lunar models does, but i want one of styrene. I have heard that the monogram has an alignement problem, are the kits in need of some kind of modification ? to get the proper fit ? :freak: :wave:

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
The aurorogram sub isn't an easy build. But it doesn't have any major problems.

I don't know what more I can add that hasn't already been said in this thread . Maybe finish the thing.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve244 said:
The aurorogram sub isn't an easy build. But it doesn't have any major problems.

I don't know what more I can add that hasn't already been said in this thread . Maybe finish the thing.
steve, didn't you have to fix a warped piece so it would fit ? how much better does it fit now ?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
The top center hull piece didn't fit very well. It required bending after immersion in hot water (then cold to set it). Kind of fun actually. The front of the piece was too thick, the inside lip had to be thinned.

Others addressed this piece by clamping and gluing it closed. I want to be able to show off the inside!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
If you don't want to deal with warp and alignment problems, may I suggest bird watching as a hobby? :)

My Flying Sub came out of the box in the shape of a corkscrew. But, like Steve 244 said: lots of hot water, twisting and cold water. It's one of the required skills for model building. I'd say probably 30% of all the kits I put together require some degree of warp correction. The Flying Sub goes together nicely after some attention.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I still have the Aurora 1975 re-issue of the Flying Sub that I built when I was 15 and I recall no major problems assembling it, nor were any of the hull parts twisted or warped. In fact, I just plopped it next to my PC monitor. I thought the interior went together quite easily too. If I were to re-do the kit today, that would be limited to an exterior paint job - I'm still satsisfied with the interior cabin paint job that I did years ago. And a childhood buddy of mine, who was an absolute whiz at detail painting (Craig "Bismo" Power who moved to Winsor Ontario around 1976), did such an absoulutely awesome job of the Admiral Nelson and Captain Crane figures that I would put them up against the best work I've seen here.

I have a Monogram re-issue too, but its still unopened in the box so I can't comment on whether or not its parts are warped. Al in all, I think its a tres cool little model kit.

Huzz

·
Registered
452 Posts
F91 said:
Dave, I'll bring mine to the next Sci-fan meeting if you would like to see one up close.
When is that? You have what kind of flying sub kit? I'd like to see it. My Deboer is no where near complete enough to show or I'd bring it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's looking good, your lighting it, right? We need to work on your figure painting dude. I can help you out there, that's where I came from. Think about how small the Deboer VIP lounge figures I have to do are. Yikes!
Dave

1 - 20 of 32 Posts