Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I finished the Challenger, it's time to turn my thoughts toward the next project:

The only problem is, I don't know what to do with it. I was originally thinking of painting it black and white, with zebra stripes. But that idea doesn't attract me so much anymore. (The idea was to do that so my tiger-striped Shelby Cobra would have something to chase.)

Looking at Google, it seems that the vast majority were a solid color, but I did find this one:

Maybe some of that old '70's disco style is what I need. But I'm open to suggestions, too.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That Alpine White Superbird has a Pitchfork hood on it too, like was on the 70 Superbee. I've never seen one on a superbird before. Surely it was a custom job on the hood. Pretty cool though. Also, all Superbirds came with a vinyl top to hide the bodywork on the rear window plugs that they added.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Researching Superbirds, I very quickly come to realize that the road runner decals are missing (i.e., not a part of the kit as opposed to being lost). It's a 1:24 scale kit. Can anyone help me find a set? I only need the roadrunner superbird logos for the wings and the headlight cover.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I found a place that has what I'm looking for. I have contacted them, hopefully they respond.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I would love a stock Superbird, but I always like the convertible conversions. Plymouth made Satellites and RR convertibles. You van buy all the parts to make it a Superbird.

Marty
Marysville, OH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
That superbird came in few original colors, Blue Fire Metallic EB5
Alpine White EW1
Vitamin "C" Orange EK2
Lemon Twist FY1
Lime Light FJ5
Tor-Red EV2
Corporate Blue 999

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
71 Charger 500: That would be cool if you did have them.

bucwheat: I know, Plymouth versions of the Dodge colors. I finally have a plan for it, it'll be based on Alpine White.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some Work-In-Progress shots. I decided how to paint the thing, now all that remains is to drag up some of the decals I mentioned earlier. The guy I contacted did in fact reply, and it'll cost me another $13 to get the set I need from him. I'm going to hold out a little bit longer in the hopes that 71 Charger 500 has some extras and can cut me a better deal...Fingers crossed. After all, I only paid ten for this kit in the first place, seems kind of silly to pay the same price for just some decals. But if nothing else happens and I get close to the point where I'll need them, well, that's life I guess.

Here's the engine:

I'm mostly done with the undercarriage, just a few more details to add in (of course the rear suspension will go in after the exhaust system):

And the body is close to finished as well. I'm going to be adding red stripes soon to the nosecone and then partway down the sides.

This is going to be one of the most technical paintjobs I've ever attempted. I need to mask off the stripes and paint them red, but it will take multiple stages, and then I'll have to go back by hand and finish the design by adding some shading to the stripes so it looks like a flag flapping in the wind. But before I get that far, I have to get the glue residue from the stickers off without damaging the paint. Then of course, the top has to be painted black, chrome added in...yada yada yada.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Okay, I found my Roadrunner Superbird decals, finally! What color are you painting the Bird? Actually, I need to know if you want the decals with the white lettering or the black lettering. Also, do you need the large Plymouth decals for the rear quarter panels? Let me know what you need, give me your address in a PM and I will fire off what you need!

Mo

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey, Tolenmar.....The Bird's looking good, man.....:thumbsup:

Just to let you know.....When I used those sticker's on my '66 "Old Glory" Nova...
I had painted it with Lacquer Paint's,,, So I used Mineral Spirit's applied with a Q-tip
to clean the sticky Residue off of it....

But,, if you painted your's with Enamel Paint....You might want to try WD-40 on a Q-tip,
to remove your's.....Just rub EASY and it should take it right off.....

The only Issue with using the WD-40 That I've found...You'll have to wash off the part's with
Dawn dish soap (or some other kind of Grease removal soap) to remove the oily film
that the WD-40 leave's....

I'd test the WD out on something with your paint on it first....NOT the car !!!!
After all,,, We wouldn't want that Paint job, Messed Up...

Hope this Help's.....

MOE

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tip, Moe. I'll have to try it.

I am finding I really dislike white paint. My work habits aren't exactly the cleanest (no one will ever mistake my shop for a CDC-grade clean room), so it gets dingy easy. Once I'm finished, though, I do think it'll be really pretty.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's coming along - I can just picture Steve Rogers driving that car! ;-)
I showed my son your comment, and he just gave me a look. One of those teenager looks that say "I don't get it."

*facepalm*

I said "Captain America."

"ooohhh."

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have learned one thing from this process:

I'm never doing a white car again. It is so easy to mess up the paint when it's white. I've had to tape off most of the car (everything from the ends of the stripes forward) so that I could sand and repaint the back end. Only one part of the repaint was because of runs in the paint, the rest were fingerprints and dark smudges from handling the thing.

Yes, the fingerprints came when I picked it up thinking it had had time to dry...The rest, though was well after the dry time. I can't wait to get it finished, the decals on and the clearcoat over it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts