Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, some people may have visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. Not me.

The hexagonal deck shapes are courtesy of a fellow modeler (aaaak forget who! ChrisK?) Here it is . It's 700K so download at your own risk.
Not sure where it’s going yet, but I have visions of backlit decks dancing in my head…

Visited Iggy's site already today for some pointers.

Once upon a time someone suggested gluing the hull together first then building the inner walls, kind of like a ship in a bottle. This may solve some of the fit problems. hmmmm.

Any and all reasonable suggestions will be entertained!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Good Luck with the hull. I basically stopped on my Aurora because of the poor fit. Plus, I have very little skill!:)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
F91 said:
Good Luck with the hull. I basically stopped on my Aurora because of the poor fit.
I think virtually every one of these Flying Sub kits is warped to one degree or another.

Mine looked like it was molded in the shape of a corkscrew! It was certainly the most "off" model I've ever had.

Fortunately, it's a design that is VERY FIXABLE with application of very hot water and some manual force. I got mine back into shape by holding the hull in sink of scalding hot water and twisting the corkscrew in the opposite direction. Then I'd plunge it into some cold water. Did this several times until the warp was completely worked out.

Turned out pretty good:

http://groups.msn.com/WorldAccordingtoGair/models.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=102

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Brent, Excellent advice, as usual. I have already painted the part, Do you think thats a problem? BTW, I have seen you FS and pretty good is a bit of an understatement. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brent Gair said:
I Then I'd plunge it into some cold water. Did this several times until the warp was completely worked out.

:rolleyes: Just don't ask him where he found cold water..... shudder... the horror...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Sheesh! I'll never live that down! Ok...I admit it...my cold water source was the toilet.

But this is a nice middle class bungalow with clean fixtures. It's not like I was using facilities in the men's room at the Bus station :).

It was a matter of practicallity. I filled the sink with scalding water and the toilet was the nearest source of deep cold water (this is Canada...believe it or not we have larger toilets than the U.S. Seriously, ask a contractor).

F91, an already painted part might be a problem, especially if you used acrylics. However, it's not something I would classify as a serious problem. What's the worse that could happen? You might have to a do a little sanding and repainting. That's a rather minor inconvenience in comparison to wasting a pretty good (and increasingly hard-to-find) model. Seems like you have nothing to lose by trying.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
I don't remember how warped mine was, but all I did was glue it together and clamp it in the right shape while the glue dried.

Cold water in Canada? Naaaaaah :) (I remember sticking my hand into glacier-fed Lake Louise in Bamff. Holy merde!)

·
Oxidation Genius
31,219 Posts
ham1963 said:
Hey John P can we get some inside pics of your sub?
Thanks
Stock out of the box and sealed in! I glued the top on.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Dr. P,
I wonder if you can save it and download it to Paint Shop or Word and blow it up to fit an 8 1/2 x 11 paper. :confused:

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I open it with photo software. Microsoft Picture It. It sizes automatically to 8 1/2 by 11 and that seems the right scale to apply to the kit.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts