Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
New to the forum, but I love the old-school BSG Viper my Dad got me for my birthday. I do have a question-
I know the Moebius Vipers are pretty popular. I'm not planning in any way to light mine, lacking the funds or skills. I hand or spray can my models, so I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for finishing the exhaust on the Viper. I'm modeling it as flying (I hate the BSG landing gear! Wheels or skids, pick one people!), so the question is- what color combination to model those big honkin' exhaust ports?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
To my eye, based on photos I've seen, both the full sized and miniature exhaust cans appear to be the same light gray as the body with a brown/black wash. The painting instructions in the kit, that call out the exhaust cans as (dark) gray are incorrect, based on photos I've seen. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's some in progress pics of my viper. I painted the exhaust nozzles in the same color I used for the main fuselage (Tamiya Insignia White.) I gave it a black wash to fill in all the ridge detail. Medium gray pastel was applied to the leading edge of the nozzles and MIG Rocket Exhaust pigment was used on the aft end.

The interior of the 3 cans was painted with Tamiya dark gray and the inner details were drybrushed with Tamiya Light gray.

The area between the cans was basecoated in gunmetal and the greeblies/tubing were picked out with Testors brass and steel. A black wash was applied to the area to dirty it down and some Rocket Exhaust pigment was rubbed in to make it look more grimy. I don't know if you use pastel chalks, but I would recommend you give them a try. It's a very simple technique that yields great results. Hope this gives you some ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts