Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think Moebius likes me. Really. First, I get their Flying Sub kit. Beautiful. Large, but beautifully done. Next comes the Seaview(s). OK, I think I have a console table I can use to display it. What's next - the Jupiter II? Damn, I may have to buy a coffee table just for that one.

And now they release 1 /72nd scale Skipjack class Submarine.

I need a bigger bookshelf. Hell, I may need a bigger workbench.

But man, will this look cool when it's finished.

Here's a quick in-box preview of the kit (not a test shot, the kits are in the US and getting shipped out soon).

Even the box is big -

I'll warn you, like a paper map of yore, you will have a hard time putting all the parts back in once you open and fondle them -

Basic hull parts break down into four parts along logical break lines - Bow/stern & upper/lower -

The locator pins for the hull halves, as well as the fore/aft connection area look solid -

This was a concern of mine with some other larger scale sub kits in the past. Combined with the thicker plastic used here, I think Moebius has engineered a well fitting kit that will be quite solid -

Note that the above hull parts (as well as the sail below) are not attached to any sprue. There are some remnants of the sprue attachment points for you to clean up, but I didn't see any scarring of the parts.

Sail is a two piece affair (and quite large) -

Rest of the periscope parts, the dive planes, screw, and some hatches are on separate sprues -

Moebius even includes some clear parts for the deadlights, as well as some nice etched parts for the intake/outlet vents on the lower side of the hull -

More continued on next post -

Gene

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing on.........

Details are fantastic. I think we all have this idea that subs are these smooth, featureless shapes - and thanks to the models Irwin Allen used - they were. But the real things have hatches and vents and intake and grills and they are all here -

Mast and screw details are nice -

Remember the early Moebius kits and their kinda-not-really-good-"instructions"? Yeah, they've fixed that. Really nice illustrations here -

Ditto the nicely researched painting guide and decals -

By the way, you get numbers and names for all the Skipjack subs. And a couple of pedestals to mount the finished model on.

Like I said, it's big. But bigger is better, right?

On a side note, I've been looking forward to this kit since I heard about it earlier this year. Love the classic "submarine" shape/vibe of this particular model. Thanks to "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", this design is kinda "the" shape of submarines..... (Somewhat surprisingly, these designs, though dating from the late 50's, served well into the 80's - the era of "The Hunt for Red October" Los Angeles class.) Ironically, this kit is actually bigger and more detailed than the "Polidor" filming miniature from "Voyage" that I was able to see at Profiles in History before a recent auction. And due to it's simplicity, this kit might actually be the elusive "weekend build" that I've been looking for for a few years. Unless, of course, I overdo it on the paint details.......

Bravo to Frank and Dave at Moebius for going with this unusual choice. And congrats/thanks to Dave Merriman and his team for all the research and effort. This kit builder is grateful.

Gene

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for a very well done review. This looks to be an awesome kit to build. I wanted to get one, and want it even more now. Thanks again!!

Model on !! :wave:

Dave

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have a 1/69 scale Disney Nautilus kit arriving next Wednesday...so I will be building these two behemoths side by side.
I won't claim all the credit because I'm sure Dave Merriman was thinking the same thing, but I suggested to Frank that he include the markings for the other subs, especially the Scorpion, which is the version I want to build--one of the most famous and chilling naval disasters ever. It is just THRILLING to see a nuclear sub model in this scale, and such a classic subject. Avast!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the span of about 30 minutes, while I was still in my jammies and enjoying my morning cup 'o tea, I managed to get some gluing done.

The instructions recommend that you glue the hull halves together as front/back assemblies, not top/bottom.

Yep, it's big......

No issues thus far. And none really expected......

Gene

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
In the span of about 30 minutes, while I was still in my jammies and enjoying my morning cup 'o tea, I managed to get some gluing done.

Gene
Gene, face it, you're an addict! If I were to attempt to work on a model first thing in the morning? Gees, I'd probably lose a thumb, an eye and a foot!!!!

Good review. :thumbsup:

HAL9001-

·
Oxidation Genius
31,277 Posts
This thing looks like great "instant gratification."

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
W:cool:W it iz i biggun!!! nice guys...1:72 scale skipjack is a pretty cool piece:thumbsup:

...an Irwin Allen production...that would lend nicely to the poster boat:thumbsup:

so uh, what's the price point on her???

·
Registered
299 Posts
Beautiful! I can't wait to get my hands on mine!

- Leelan

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
bond, jbond, that's pretty dang cool looking! Not knowing much about subs, will she have markings of any type? I stretched out a tape rule and 40 inches is HUGE!! I've got a 1:72 Gato I think is 52 ihces. :eek:

:thumbsup:

HAL9001-

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Yes, I just haven't put the decals on yet--I'm going to make her the Scorpion. I have to put on all the masts and paint the mottle effect on some, do the decals, paint the different shades for the sonar domes and buoys and a few other details and do some aging but I don't anticipate more than a couple of days' more work. And it IS huge. I'll get a photo in sunlight when I'm finished. Then I have to start the Disney Nautilus that will sit next to it...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts