Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Great!!! I'm getting this kit for sure. I'll use Martin Bowers studio scale build-up as a guide and add a corrected interior based on the live action movie set too. I hope they get rid of or at least offer replacements for the incorrect conformal windows! But fashioning corrected inset windows would be easy since they have a flat plane. Even the cockpit inset windows are flat vertically with an easy curve to make around the corners.

Update - I just pre-ordered one!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I just made a mad dash to throw my built Aurora moonbus up on eBay. Just bought it this year. A clean, unbuilt kit will be a MUCH better starting point for the moonbus of my dreams. Who's making a lightsheet kit for it? Or am I getting ahead of myself?:p

And for all it's advertised inaccuracies, isn't this kit really very close to the original? I look forward to an accurization kit, but would love to know exactly what needs to be fixed. You know, aluminum engine bells would be awesome. James Small, are you out there?

·
Registered
902 Posts
And for all it's advertised inaccuracies, isn't this kit really very close to the original? I look forward to an accurization kit, but would love to know exactly what needs to be fixed. You know, aluminum engine bells would be awesome.
According to Martin Bower's website, where he recently released his studio scale build up article and pictures, the Aurora Moonbus is pretty close, so for this kit scale it should be a good starting point for a fairly accurate version to be built.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Really????

This is good news. I thought that the original Aurora Moonbus kit was one of the best that they had made. Lots of interior and exterior detail for something that was only represented on screen for a few minutes.

A repop of the original kit as is would be just fine with me, but if Moebius wants to make any enhancements or refine the original kit, that's okay too.

Bryan

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
The Aurora Moonbus kit is a pretty dead-on scale replica of the filming model, except for the conformal front windows. The kit interior, though, is much too roomy. The interior set in the movie appeared small and cramped. Reconciling the hypothetical interior and exterior dimensions was covered thoroughly in "The ’2001’ Moonbus Thread," for anyone who wants to attempt scratchbuilding a more accurate interior.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Martin Bower recently had this to say about the Aurora model...

The first thing I will say is that I was always surprised at how many people seemed to dismiss the AURORA kit as being inaccurate, & had called it quite a few other uncomplimentary names besides, because to me, whenever I looked at it & compared it with the photos & the film, it seemed pretty darned close in general proportions, if a little unclear on some of the details.

Thanks to Bower and a couple others like him many of the aforementioned "details" are now, or soon will be, part of the steadily growing catalogue of Moonbus reference materials available to the modeler (be on the lookout for the next issue of Bowerhouse).

Seems to me, given the apparent accuracy of the Aurora/Moebius contours (give or take a few curves), and assuming one is willing to make the effort, it should be possible to arrive at a scale model close enough to the filming miniature to satisfy all but the subject's most discriminating fans.

BTW, for those who don't know, Martin and his "helpers" have spent years sourcing kit parts and collecting reference data for this particular FX miniature. Point being that if MB says the Aurora model is "pretty darned close" I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Of course, my friend Scott Alexander may disagree...
:)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Not to put Scott's efforts down, but the proportions he's using, based on the pictures he's released, do not look right at all to my discriminating eye - Update: I just noticed on his Atomic City forum, he just made new modifications to widen his Moonbus so maybe that was part of the problem.

Martin Bower's studio scale Moonbus is as close as anyone's going to get to the actual filming miniature period, and is now the absolute benchmark reference for anyone else's model attempt. Martin deserves much cudos and thanks for doing this. Send him an email in appreciation!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have not seen enough of Scott's to offer an opinion.

But of Martin's, I completely agree that quality pics of his build are as close to the real thing as we are likely to get. Unless, of course, something is discovered in one of Kubrick's numerous storage boxes.;)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I can't wait to do this one again! Being that I sold the last one :rolleyes:

I'm going to buy two or three!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,237 Posts
Hey, at $50 it's only gonna cost twenty times what the original did! :freak:

·
Registered
902 Posts
^^^ Nice photos of the Aurora kit.

Don't forget the main details up for modifications are:

1. Add front forward facing thruster port openings on the RCS shoulder pods
  2. Passenger window frame struts should be the reverse angle (unless you are going for the interior live set look)
  3. Ditch all of the conformal windows and add clear plastic to the inner window frames instead
  4. Modify the passenger interior wall cross-section shape to match the live set
  5. Move the equipment bay bulkhead positions and passenger section floors forward with the vent section behind it being 1.5X the length of a window section
  6. Modify the dropped floor elevation forward of the passenger area and the raised cargo/seating platforms should have (approximately) 30-45 degree angled ends in the front near to the equipment bay bulkhead with enough room for a man to stand on the floor in front
  7. Modify the rear bulkhead corners to match the movie model
Use Martin Bower's model as reference in all exterior areas!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Zathros, you're looking at a year-old thread that somebody revived -- the Moonbus appears to be a real plan, and not canceled. I hate when people dig up old threads.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Moebius just announced that they are not going to do the moonbus after all...hmmm..
I posted this in the Moebius forums, too, but then thought maybe you know that was a year-old annoucnement, and were just pulling our leg. Fooled me.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Zathros, you're looking at a year-old thread that somebody revived -- the Moonbus appears to be a real plan, and not canceled. I hate when people dig up old threads.

Thanks, KIT...it SURE did confuse the issue for me...:thumbsup:..I couldnt stop scratchin my head as to why it would be announced without a secured license!!..Great to hear that its still online after all!

Z

1 - 20 of 22 Posts