Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 375 Posts

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay Kids,
This thread is going to be a reference guide for the Jupiter 2 kit. With the help of Teslabe I will create a cannonical reference for the detailing and painting of this new kit, using the exhaustive notations in the Irwin Allen Scrap Book Vol 2. by William E. Anchors,Jr. (available at some conventions or sometimes on the evil auction site) Using the notations in the book. I will provide Teslab with video cues from which he can make screen captures. Without 35mm film negatives, high resolution will not be possible but we will present the images as large as practical from DVD's. Wish us luck. Check back often. We will post as many photos as we can, and I will provide keys to the scenes from which they were taken and any notes from the book about them.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Since most of the detail in the kit features details from the third season, that's what we will pay most attention to here.

Episode Notes:

(1.) First episode up is "Condemed of Space" (Air date: Sept. 6th, 1967)
Everyone in this episode except Dr. Smith begins wearing their third-season fatigues. Smith first wears his outfit in the second episode of the Third season "Visit to a Hostile Planet"
(2.)The Astrogator, which was last seen in "Cave of the Wizards" is now back in place and will remain so until it disappears once again in "Two Weeks in Space".
(3.) The scene of the Jupiter lifting of the planet is later used in "Junkyard in Space" Color footage from the crash sequence from the pilot episode is run backwards for this lift-off.Some elements of the pilot episode was shot on color film,(second Unit) although never aired in this form. This footage was later added to various second and third season episodes.
(4.) The comet seen through the viewport appeared as Earth's Sun in "Wild Adventure" and is later used as a green planet in "Flight into the Future".

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Notes Continued;

(5.) Robby the Robot appears in this episode and also in "War of the Robots". Those of you building Robby pay close attention to the re-detailed chest area and the yellow pin stripes around his arms and feet.
(6.) GAF's beautiful ViewMaster Reels set were based on this episode.
(7.) This is the First appearance of the Jupiter's main viewport crash blinders.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Episode Notes:...

(3.) ...The pilot episode was the only First season episode shot on color film, although never aired in this form...
From what I've heard, only some of the special effects from the "No Place to Hide" pilot were shot in color. Apparently, the launch scene was not part of that footage, nor were in-space shots of the ship.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is my understanding that the entire episode was shot in color, and that the studio has discovered missing reels of footage. I defer to you sir, as I am certainly no expert on the subject. Meerly repeating hearsay.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only the second unit phototography was filmed in color. This includes the crash of the spaceship, the chariot footage, the one eyed giant and John in the Rocket Belt. The studio told Irwin Allen the he would have to cover the additional cost to shoot the rest of the pilot in color. That was a QUICK "NO"!

The footage which was filmed in color shows up in 2nd and 3rd season episodes.

Geminibuildups
www.geminibuildupstudios.com

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ther Outer Hull is subject to interpretation, but I plan to use a Metalic Silver Testors 1246 and a sealer coat of Glosscoat. Other options are Metalizer Paints airbrushed on, buffed out and sealed with 1409 Metalizer sealer.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Geminibuildups, I stand corrected. I knew that if a mistatement was made there were enough knowledgable people here to correct any error.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That's a wonderful thing that you're trying to do here, much needed. As you say, much of the color will depend on the filming conditions, processing, mastering, etc. I've got a series of backstage photos obviously taken one after another of the Chariot being loaded as the Robinson's leave the ship in the pilot episode, and each photo in the sequence shows Judy's coat as different shades of red and the chariot frame as different shades of deep orange to red. I've also got a series of publicity shots of Don and Judy again obviously taken as a sequence. Their bust shots are identical, only their poses have changed slightly. Don's parka goes from a light powder blue to a rich mid blue to an extremely dark navy blue. How do you choose?
Also, unless you've color calibrated your monitors at both ends, what you see will be an approximation anyway.
All those qualifications in mind, I thought I'd see what few 3d season backstage photos I have, to accompany your screen grabs. The picture quality isn't great, but you get some idea of the colors involved.

·
Registered
332 Posts
And this isn't any good for color at all but I thought it might be of interest anyway. Out of attachment space so I can't leave these for too long.
Edit: a couple more photos. You can see the difference in the greys between the two photos of the freezing tube panels. So even photos of the same props taken off the set have considerable variation. But as a general guide for modelers, any information will be of great use.
Another edit: (wierd, I can no longer use manage attachments with my updated Firefox, have to use IE???) a shot of the window frames. They looked like this at the beginning of the 3d season, at least until the revision that added the new control panels that slid out of the sides inside the crash doors. Also, the exterior shot reminded me: the exterior finish of the miniature seems quite a bit darker than the exterior finish on the full size (crash) set.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Ther Outer Hull is subject to interpretation, but I plan to use a Metalic Silver Testors 1246 and a sealer coat of Glosscoat. Other options are Metalizer Paints airbrushed on, buffed out and sealed with 1409 Metalizer sealer.
Again, I've read that the hero was painted with something close to modern Krylon silver. Also, that it had some grit, or sand, mixed in, to prevent reflection. Metalizer may be a bit too shiny.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I just made this cap and it fits in with the above observations about hull color. It was, in fact, not silver at all on the full size. It appears to be a stippled blend of grey and white to achieve the silver look, without reflections. The art department at Fox knew their craft!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Iused Model Master Stainless Steel on my PL J2. It leaves a slight texture that is knocked down when you polish the paint to make it shiny. I did not ploish mine and dullcoated it. I think it turned out quite nice.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Arugh, a couple more shots of small details. Be interesting to see how "controlled" photos compare with the screen grabs. All these, as far as I know, are the original props.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love it when a plan comes together, thank you all for assistance and input, as it is much appreciated. The plan here is to focus on colors and detail, however slight, Structures, substructures, fasteners, possible working features, etc.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Beautiful, this is what I was after. In the above post you will note the reels for the flight recorder are YELLOW not the usual silver metalic we are used to. It is these minute differences I want to document. Remember, the kit was engineered to represent a third season varient, please note in any photo's that came from other seasons. Other season examples are welcome as they add more options for the scratch builder. In the Space Pod bay, note the large black bumper on the Starboard side bulkhead. Also note the bullitin board , and added viewport on the bulkhead in the Starboard side utility room.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Because of the exposure latitude of film, sets can't be painted exactly how you would expect them to be. If you want something to appear white for example, you paint it a shade of gray..then once 20,000 watts of studio lighting go on it will appear white. Otherwise all the detail would be washed out on film because it's ability to record a large tonal range is limited. (If you have ever met with actors after a play you will know what I mean as their face make-up appears very dark and orange yet they looked normal skin color under the stage lights.)
So my choice would be to go with screen grabs as this is the color they wanted it to appear and not necessarily the color the prop was actually painted when built.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
20,000 watts of studio lighting go on it will appear white. not necessarily the color the prop was actually painted when built.
Unless you put your model under those 20,000 watt lights.......wait that wouldn't be good.:tongue:

Seriously though, any good shots of the exterior?

1 - 20 of 375 Posts