Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I am not too surprised- Moebius has new owners who are trying to make a profit- expensive licensing agreements are an easy target.
Where Moebius goes from here is still unknown- the old guard developed kits which are on the shelves now, aside from the HAL kit we really do not know much about what the new guard has decided to devote their energies towards.
I suspect the NuTrek license will be allowed to expire also. The rebooted movies have ceased production, the Kelvin was priced out of the market and the next ship planned, the Jellyfish, is about as popular as the Kazon Torpedo.
My personal hope is that Moebius pick up a license for an older, less expensive show to produce new subjects from. There is a lot of potential out there that fans would love to see in mass production

·
Elder Statesman
1,918 Posts
I believe they did a good job with the Universal license, but these licenses cost a lot, how do they plan to move forward?

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Hard to tell, Moebius always played it's cards close to the vest, but the new owners are outright cryptic.
Common sense would say sacrifice the high dollar licenses and go for the fringe ones which do not cost nearly as much. Pegasus did pretty well with that strategy

·
Registered
135 Posts
It doesn't help that Universal decided to renegotiate the license right in the middle of development of the Raptor which is why it was delayed over a year. Frank had hinted there were more BSG kits coming but nothing happened before the sale of Moebius. Thing is Pegasus doesn't seem all that interested in science fiction relying on car kits instead. I guess that is it for the BSG kits.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did they have any kits in development and if so will they be canned or finished???
There were no announcments from Moebius concerning any new BSG kits before the sale to Pegasus, just a verbal hint from Frank at one of the shows. Pegasus hasn't mentioned any new kits from Moebius either. The Pegasus Hobbies Facebook page is only about R/C so that is no help.

With Moebius (read Pegasus) not renewing the BSG license, I don't know if they can still sell the kits beyond the stock on hand. It will depend on how the license was set up.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
How about getting the rights for Buck Roger's Starfighter...... That would be fantastic..... That would save me lots of scratchbuilt on my half-built Starfighter that I've purchased 15 years ago..... at a high price on Evil Bay..... RRRrrrrrr...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think moebius models is truly over there's no way anyone's going to convince me but they're going to pull out the amount of kits that they did in their heyday it would be wonderful if they surpassed moebius models old mantra but I just don't see it happening so if I were you modeler Stout there I will start collecting my moebius kits right now cuz when they get on evil Bay they're going to cost a small fortune....... all in all it was really a great ride while it lasted.

Moebius models will truly be missed and never forgotten.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also it was a tragic shame that moebius models did not produce a larger size Land of the Giants Spindrift I believe that was a true crime the in the era of model history.

It's right up there with the decision to not produce a model kit of the Lost in Space Jupiter 2 my Aurora models so many years ago because it was too plain

fortressAO

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I think moebius models is truly over there's no way anyone's going to convince me but they're going to pull out the amount of kits that they did in their heyday it would be wonderful if they surpassed moebius models old mantra but I just don't see it happening so if I were you modeler Stout there I will start collecting my moebius kits right now cuz when they get on evil Bay they're going to cost a small fortune....... all in all it was really a great ride while it lasted.

Moebius models will truly be missed and never forgotten.
From the looks of the restocks Cult keeps getting, I'd say they are far from dead.
https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Restocks-in-the-CultTVman-Hobbyshop_ep_49-1.html
I see 11 kits restocked on the current page.

So, looks like Pegasus is putting the tooling to use. I figured they just needed time to assimilate their purchase and get the supply chain worked out.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the looks of the restocks Cult keeps getting, I'd say they are far from dead.
https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Restocks-in-the-CultTVman-Hobbyshop_ep_49-1.html
I see 11 kits restocked on the current page.

So, looks like Pegasus is putting the tooling to use. I figured they just needed time to assimilate their purchase and get the supply chain worked out.

Depends on the definition of "dead" in this case. The Discovery, Kelvin, and EVA Pod were all developed when Frank owned the company. These kits were probably far enough along that it made sense for Pegasus to move forward and release them. So far, the only new kit under Pegasus's ownership of Moebius is the HAL 9000 kit, which is little more than a plaque with a lens. This is not the Moebius that we all knew, a company that put out quite a few kits each year. As for Pegasus needing time to assimilate and get the supply chain worked out, I'd assume all that would have been done by now, it's been well over a year.

When the Pegasus deal was finalized, Frank, through the Moebius Facebook page, told us that Moebius would remain an independent company and nothing would change, that in fact, new kits were coming. Well, let's look at the facts:
A) Moebius website has only been updated with new owner info/address. The kit listings haven't, the Discovery/EVA Pod/HAL/Kelvin and Ford Pickup Truck have not been added.
B) The Moebius Facebook page/Twitter feed has been shut down. This was one of the primary ways Moebius reached out to their customers with info. Seems odd Pegasus, if they wanted Moebius to continue as is, would do this.
C) Pegasus has not produced one new kit since before their purchase of Moebius.
D) Neither Pegasus or Moebius was represented at this years Wonderfest. Again, an odd choice if your planning on continuing either companies kit lines.
E) Moebius would have booths at various comic book/sci-fi shows. Don't believe this is still happening since Frank left.
F) No info about Moebius or Pegasus kits on the Pegasus Facebook, which is just about their R/C stuff.
G) Moebius has decided not to renew the following licenses, based on info from CultTVman and individuals on various forums: Universal Monsters, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and possibly '66 Batman. That's quite a lot of product to drop, no product to sell means no cash coming in.

Taken all together, no one can honestly say that things are looking good for Moebius. This company, when run by Frank, produced a wide varity of kits each year, and through their Facebook page and other means, would keep their customers up to date. We have the total opposite now. Based on all that has happened since Pegasus has taken over, you can't blame people for feeling that Moebius's days are numbered.

You know what would end all this speculation? If Pegasus would just let people know just what they're up to. A simple, "Hey guys, Moebius is still alive and we have great kits planned for the future and will let you know soon.", is all it would take. But, it seems that either a) Pegasus sucks at social media or b) except for some reissues, Moebius as we knew it is over.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Just because Cult has restocked does not automatically mean Mobius is still going to be putting out new kits. More than likely Cult's suppler had a bunch in their warehouse waiting to be shipped to a hobby shop.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just because Cult has restocked does not automatically mean Mobius is still going to be putting out new kits. More than likely Cult's suppler had a bunch in their warehouse waiting to be shipped to a hobby shop.
Just to chime in...I recently bought the Moebius LIS Robot, my first buy of the kit after a long financial dry spell. The printed production date on the interior of one of the body parts is 06/05/2019. And IIRC I bought the kit late July/Early August. So they've done a relatively recent production run on some of their kits. And that probably isn't ending as we have the re-release of the Movie Seaview coming up. To me it's welcome news as I missed several of these kits the first go-round. And it seems indicative that Pegasus will at least continue to exploit the Moebius tooling bank for a while yet. And I believe that, somewhere on the interwebs, Dave was stated a saying that the Pegasus purse strings are beginning to open up a bit. So maybe there's hope.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Just to chime in...I recently bought the Moebius LIS Robot, my first buy of the kit after a long financial dry spell. The printed production date on the interior of one of the body parts is 06/05/2019. And IIRC I bought the kit late July/Early August. So they've done a relatively recent production run on some of their kits. And that probably isn't ending as we have the re-release of the Movie Seaview coming up. To me it's welcome news as I missed several of these kits the first go-round. And it seems indicative that Pegasus will at least continue to exploit the Moebius tooling bank for a while yet. And I believe that, somewhere on the interwebs, Dave was stated a saying that the Pegasus purse strings are beginning to open up a bit. So maybe there's hope.
Any thing is possible.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Like I said, the fact they are producing product from the existing tooling is a good sign. They are finally putting the new assets to use.
I am sure the purchase of Moebius took a good portion of their model production budget. (making kits has never been the main focus of Pegasus)
Then there would be down time while they assess what exactly they acquired, figure out where they were going to move the stuff to, and how they were going to put that to work.

Look what happened to Round2 after they made that big acquisition of Lindberg et al. They slowed way down on new releases, killed a bunch of product already in the pipeline, and had many wondering if they were ever going to make another figure kit again. And they were a much bigger and more experienced operation than Pegasus is.

I figure it will probably be another year before they really get their legs under them and start thinking of much new product.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts