Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I'd like that too! It's great to see photos of the great work people on this forum do, but to see exactly how they do it would be fantastic! I'd even pay $20 for one!

Larry!

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Now that we have successfully driven off the fine folks at Moebius, Any specialty DVD's, are merely just a pipedream. I'm certainly not going to do them. Perhaps one of the people who spent so much time whineing and complaining about how kits should have this feature or that feature, bigger or smaller in scale, figures, working features, specialty decals, photo etch etc. could now use this time to create these DVD's, or perhaps design that kit you've been dreaming about. Spend about $350.000 dollars to have it tooled, put in all those great features you all seem to want all for around Ten Bucks! You just didn't know when to quit did you?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Now that we have successfully driven off the fine folks at Moebius, Any specialty DVD's, are merely just a pipedream. I'm certainly not going to do them. Perhaps one of the people who spent so much time whineing and complaining about how kits should have this feature or that feature, bigger or smaller in scale, figures, working features, specialty decals, photo etch etc. could now use this time to create these DVD's, or perhaps design that kit you've been dreaming about. Spend about $350.000 dollars to have it tooled, put in all those great features you all seem to want all for around Ten Bucks! You just didn't know when to quit did you?

Duct. I know you are upset about Moebius leaving, but I dont think thats the reason they left. Its a chore to moderate a forum such as this and Im sure its due to time restraints. There are a few people that get a little passionate about models and may suggest stuff, but for the most part (as with this thread) most people are really courteous about it. Some are very new to the hobby and just want some guidance.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
It does pain me that Moebius has left, and it is for a lot of reasons not for which I have commented, but they are a deciding factor. It was groundbreaking to have the relationship we shared with team Moebius, they solicited input, not complaints about design changes or working features that do little more than increase the retail price asked for kits. I was simply amazed that people from this forum seemed to be wanting if not demanding in some of their requests placed on Moebius. Sad,...truely a sad day.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It does pain me that Moebius has left, and it is for a lot of reasons not for which I have commented, but they are a deciding factor. It was groundbreaking to have the relationship we shared with team Moebius, they solicited input, not complaints about design changes or working features that do little more than increase the retail price asked for kits. I was simply amazed that people from this forum seemed to be wanting if not demanding in some of their requests placed on Moebius. Sad,...truely a sad day.
While I agree that some posters can come across as a little demanding, most I feel are not. Many just make enthused suggestions. Its seemed to me anyways that the good definietly outweighted the bad. I just hope this forum continues to be a good source for model building. Lots of info here for newbies.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
Anyone who buys me a kit, I will build and youtube from unboxing to completion. Can't say my method will be the way to do it, but it will give some guidance for those who could use some.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I wish we had the time and skill to do a dvd. I see things like the incredible Iron Man repose by Yasutoshi and all I can think is how much I would have loved to see it being done. Or the Space Pod that ws in AFM. All that fiber optic work! DVD production is out of my league though!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I wish we had the time and skill to do a dvd. I see things like the incredible Iron Man repose by Yasutoshi and all I can think is how much I would have loved to see it being done. Or the Space Pod that ws in AFM. All that fiber optic work! DVD production is out of my league though!
Thank you for all you've done. And will continue to do. Here's one overweight 46 year old nerd that would not have gotten back into building if not for you and your crew. All I can say is "wow" --AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I REALLY wanted to learn how to build one of these kits. I NEVER was one of the nitpicking geeks who said "the beam is off by a millimeter" I would love to have a lighted Seaview, Flying Sub, or J2 to display thats all.

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey modelman
I'll take that offer and send you a kit, its cheaper to watch someone put one together than to screw one or two up trying to get it right,, PLUS everyone says your suppose to have fun , well !. this will be fun to watch and learn from,, i also pm'd you to offer the same deal.........

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone who buys me a kit, I will build and youtube from unboxing to completion. Can't say my method will be the way to do it, but it will give some guidance for those who could use some.
I would love that - you could sell it on DVD I bet- please do simple step by step for up vehicle challenged modelers!!:wave:

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
OK. Here's what I'm thinking in terms of terms and conditions...

As I am finishing off a bunch of models and was about to start a pile of star wars plastic, this is therefore the perfect time to slip the J2 to the head of the line.

Should I do this, anyone who contributes to the build would get as many dvd's it takes to document the process, free. For example, Skinnyonce is offering to purchase (and ship) the kit to me, so he gets all the videos free. Anyone who buys any of the after-market components, the photo-etch, lighting kits or whatever, would also get free dvd's.

I cannot be held to any time constraints on completion, but completing the J2 would be my top-most priority above all other models. That being said, be forewarned it could still be a month or more of building. A complex kit like this could not be knocked off in a weekend. And while the J2 would be my modeling priority, my bill-paying career/life trumps all model building activities.

Note that upon completion, I own the model and all related materials. My investment in this deal is not only my personal time on the build, but the vast research time that will need to be done and reference material studied. Any components purchased for me are my payment. I will also likely have to purchase a lot of specific paint and other building materials which I may or may not have on-hand. This ain't gonna cheap to anyone.

All aspects of the build would be video'd in hi-def and youtubed in std-def (to make a dvd more attractive). A dvd would have all those videos categorized and sorted into chapters, plus some photos and any other misc. that couldn't be youtubed with some possible bonus footage or something that won't be on youtbe or any forum posting. I guess I would also start up a build thread for folks to follow. And while I haven't authored a dvd in some time now, the procedure, requirements and capability are on-hand and just need some of the rust brushed off. That will not be an issue.

Most importantly, this video series would be just as much a How-Not-To as much as a How-To. In this regard, I will likely stumble into some pitfalls. You will see me stumble and can hopefully avoid them yourself. As my sig line says, "I'm not a savior or a saint. Imperfect in a word, make no mistake..."

Accepting this idea opens me up to other people requesting special builds and I don't know that I want to expose myself to that. That being said, this is a model I was going to get eventually, I just wasn't gonna get it anytime soon. So I guess I don't mind in this case.

Should I fail to complete the model, well, that's not likely, but a catastrophic los angeles earthquake, health emergency or other similar tragedies do happen. Well, all I can say to that is 'crud happens'. I don't have any thoughts on this contingency at the moment...

Therefore, barring the 'act of god' clause, this is a model and video series that will be done without exception. It would start immediately upon reciept of the supplies (model, after market stuff, whatever) and be built to whatever degree the supplies allow and to the best of my ability. All youtubery would be uploaded as I go. DVD's would be authored upon completion of the project and sent to the parts suppliers. DVD's could probably be sold to the general public, details to be determined as the project proceeds.

Anyone who has any ideas or other notes on my thoughts, jot them down here.

And... even if this falls through before it begins, thanks for the vote of confidence!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Strangely enough I find I"m intrigued by the project. Can you clarify the terms on the final output (intellectual property). Are you going to send DVD's to the people who contribute? Or are you saying you are going to YouTube the project? For my part I would be considering contributing so you can purchase paint and supplies. What method would be most expedient?

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
BeatleP, I just opened one of those vids to subscribe, but your channel says you have no vids uploaded? Well, I subscribed anyway.

Cajun, I would do both.

I would down-rez the hd source into standard-def/lo-rez versions. That is what would be yt'ed for all to see and learn from. (I'm one of those 'information should be free' people.) This allows immediate access to anyone who might want to follow along and proves the project is underway and gives me feedback to viewers insights on what's going on and how it can be done better as it proceeds.

The Hi-Def masters would be used to produce the dvd. I would also (likely) include the HD source materials for a true HD experience for those with an hd tv, player or computer at/near their work bench. Any and all photos I shoot along the way will also be put on the disc and if there are any notes, references or anything like that to throw in too.

However many dvd discs all that would take up is how many will be in the series. Off the top of my head, and without any true idea, I would hazard a guess that this could easily be a ten disc set...

And of course to note, dvd format is not hi-def and I cannot author a bluray at this time. Numbers: I can shoot 1080i, not 1080p (sorry), but as this is not a feature film the difference between interlaced and progressive would be negligible. I could go to 576p, but I think the lost screen space is not worth it. Any photos would be 6mp jpg. The vid source is quicktime H.264.

As to expediency, I don't know at this moment what is needed. Standard things like glue and putty are easy enough. While I haven't seen this kit yet, I do know there is a list of colors. That list could be small or large, utilizing expensive or cheap paints. Overall though, I can handle all the consumables needed.

--------------

I would see 'contributions/contributors' defined as: The kit itself, Paint masks, Photo-etch, Lighting kits, or even the launch platform and/or whatever else is out there. So, someone who contributes a bottle of glue, or a can of paint, doesn't exactly qualify to the level that Skinnyonce does. I think his contribution of the kit sets the qualifier for 'contributor'. This kit was just released and seemingly already has an overwhelming amount of after-market materials. The briefest glance shows that all these parts are inline with the cost of the kit itself, give or take. And all that is not to say that a full set of required paints, a tub of Aves and all the consumables taken together would not rise to the cost of contributor level, so that is something to keep in mind...

Of course, after-market means 'a nicety, but not a necessity'. So the series would cover whatever materials come to my hands. The kit is spoken for, so nothing else needs to be added, but there is lots that could be added.

As to what the dvd series could cost, I have no idea. It would be dependent on how many discs, how much source material and how much effort I put into post production. There could be two levels: premium or deluxe, for example. That's the sort of thing that would resolve itself as the project nears completion. As with the other after-market materials, a dvd series would likely fall inline iwth those costs, but I would do my part to keep it very reasonable. Afterall, blank dvd discs are essentially pennies each. The true cost of a dvd series boils down to authoring and burning time with packaging and so on.

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
The DVD series is on!

Skinnyonce has the kit in the mail. Upon receipt, I will post my standard out of box review and begin pre-construction (dry fits, etc). Full blown construction will occur asap with near-daily video logs uploaded to youtube in low rez. The high rez masters will be used to create the dvd series itself. (Consider the low-rez versions to be a dvd sampler.) And it looks like I'll be watching all the LiS I can starting... today I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts