Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think the lens pieces look great. I used semi gloss black on the main panel and the eye piece and I like the look of that. And the lower grill is basically molded in gun metal so I didn't even paint that. The finished piece looks great on my wall and I think I'll even buy another one so I can have two in the house. :)

JeffBond,

How did the HAL 9000 decal cover over the black? Is it opaque? I'm worried that I'll need to spray the area it goes silver or put down some white decal first.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm calling HAL done.

There is a stand, but I'm not using it. I added a picture hanger to the top/back of HAL and he is on the wall, protecting the mission.

The decals are very nice and went on easy. The lens decals really add a lot to the kit. The instructions call for a "reset" decal to go over the switch. I chose not to use it.

Mounted over my display:

As I said the only modification, if you can call it that, was the addition of the picture mount.
I glued a small section of angle styrene, set back a bit and with the middle cut out, to the inside/top.
Then I just C/A'd the metal picture hanger. Very easy.

HAL builds into a nice display!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
A question about the decals. Is the "Reset" decal accurate, or is it similar to the FASTWAY decal for the TWA Marsliner where you can cut it up to make TWA?

I ask because I see that decal #3 says NIKKO instead of NIKKOR. Looks like the R from Reset would fit in that gap.
You might be on to something. I assumed that the lens said NIKKO because thats what Moebius printed on the decal. But your post got me to start looking, everything I see shows NIKKOR. I just went and looked, the R could be used I think.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could it have been a trademark/copyright issue perhaps? And the reset decal was a sneaky way around it? I could be wrong!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Could it have been a trademark/copyright issue perhaps? And the reset decal was a sneaky way around it? I could be wrong!
Just looked up the trademarks listed as belonging to Nikon and Nikkor is on the list. So they would have had to get permission and possibly pay a royalty to print that word on the decal. Nippon and Kogaku are not listed anywhere I could find (in relation to lenses that is, there are companies with nippon as a trademark but have nothing to do with lenses).

Just got my HAL kit, not sure when I'll get around to building it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the Master Replicas HAL coming sometime soon(?) Will be interesting to compare the two. (On a side note, if I had known this was coming I could have saved a bundle! Oh well...)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Please post some photo's here of your MR!

The only MR piece I have is the TOS Klingon disruptor and it's outstanding.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
"Nippon" (said as "nee-hone") refers to Japan, so it's not a trademark.

"Founded on July 25, 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushikigaisha (日本光学工業株式会社 "Japan Optical Industries Co., Ltd.") ..."

It's hard to say if the anglicized old full company name is trademarked... but "Nikkor" is trademarked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
It was a good idea for Moebius to include the inner lens. I had to paint the inner part of my Lunar Models HAL lens glossy just to get some extra specular reflections inside there.

BTW, the inner lens should not be frosted: it should stay clear and sharp. Maybe dipped in Future.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I left the both lenses clear. Future would be a good idea.

Keeping the lenses clean was an issue while building HAL.

·
Registered
141 Posts
hpiguy's Model Workshop just did a build up video for 'ol HAL.

I imagine that hpiguy may give some modelers the vapors (I don't think I've ever seen him fill a seam), but I enjoy his videos immensely. Plus, he's probably built more models in the past three months than I have in the last 10 years.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts