Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cult delivered this a few days ago but I was out of town.

It's a basic kit 7 parts including the stand, 1 red LED, and a set of decals.

The detail looks good at 1st glance. Crisp molding and details. So far I see no sinkmarks or undermolding.

The faceplate main inner surface has a slight texture that looks like brushed metal. It's very fine and will probably disappear with painting.

The 2 clear lenses look good, no obvious flaws. The decals are basic and look nicely printed. There is the large HAL logo along with lens details.

There is no battery case, the instructions suggest using double sided tape and sticking it on the back.

Overall it looks like a simple kit that was well done.

Painting will take the most time.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Most people are going to want to hang this on a wall, not mount it on a base. But it doesn't look like they put a keyhole anywhere to allow it to hang on a nail or screw?

Won't be that hard to add ways to mount it on a wall but seems like such an obvious thing to put into the model when designing it...

·
Registered
91 Posts
A question about the decals. Is the "Reset" decal accurate, or is it similar to the FASTWAY decal for the TWA Marsliner where you can cut it up to make TWA?

I ask because I see that decal #3 says NIKKO instead of NIKKOR. Looks like the R from Reset would fit in that gap.

·
Super Moderator
23,633 Posts
NIKKO is the abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku. The name Nikon was formed under in 1917. Nikkor was adopted in 1932 and Nikon in 1946. Probably doesnt fit the movie time line that well, but maybe they used a used lens in putting HAL together. :D

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have to say, the 'use some tape to hold the battery' strikes me as, well, lazy design.

But maybe that won't matter in the end, I suspect way too many people are going to embed their Amazon device in this in some way. :)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No wall hook is provided, but it could be added very easily.

And yes, the battery held by tape is an odd choice, but it will work. I suspect that the LED was a late addition to the kit.

I would love to install my Ring doorbell in it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wish they had made it 8 parts--having the main panel separate from the metal/silver frame would have completely eliminated any need for masking. But otherwise it seems pretty neat and I could even see myself buying a second one so I can have two hung up in the house. It'll be interesting to see if Moebius puts out any other 2001 kits.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Washed everything, primed with Tamiya grey primer.

Masked the frame and some Tamiya semi-matt black:

It looks nice, gloss would have been too much I think.

The instructions say "gunmetal" for the speaker grill. Regular gunmetal looks too dark. I used Tamiya TS-42 light gunmetal.
I think it looks correct.

Gloss aluminum for the base ring and flat black for the eye.

That is just a dry fitting.

I think I'll spray the frame gloss aluminum also.

Jeff,
molding the front separate would have made this a really fast build!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I see you still have the odd nub on the lens ring. I gather it is left over from the molding process. No such protrusion on the actual lens, right?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering about it. I don't see it in the instructions, I can't see why it is there, but I hesitate to remove it.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had you considered painting the inner eye gloss black to simulate the various glass elements inside the lens?
No I hadn't.

The instructions call for flat black on the inner lens area. The kit does have 2 clear lenses.

Speaking of the lens's, I'm wondering if the inner lens should be frosted to disperse the red light a bit.

·
Super Moderator
23,633 Posts
I wouldnt paint or frost the inside lens. This is not the exact lens in the photo image below but you can see the internal 'glass' piece (the very center silvery/gray area) should remain clear. Black paint will block out the LED red light as well.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
No wall hook is provided, but it could be added very easily.

And yes, the battery held by tape is an odd choice, but it will work. I suspect that the LED was a late addition to the kit.

I would love to install my Ring doorbell in it.
well, see, here's the question regarding the battery. What will they do with the inevitable pre-built display model? I would expect some kind of housing will be necessary for the "actual voice from the movie" feature.*

*no I don't have any foreknowledge of this expected product, but how could one even contemplate selling a HAL interface plate that didn't have the voice? Good lord the tiny Hallmark Christmas ornament can manage THAT. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Washed everything, primed with Tamiya grey primer.

Masked the frame and some Tamiya semi-matt black:

It looks nice, gloss would have been too much I think.
Did you brush on the black or use a spray? It looks like there is a texture on the surface and I'm just curious whether that is molded on the kit or just the angle of light reflecting off a brushed surface.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How are the lens parts? Do they look remotely like glass, or just like cheap injection-moulded plastic?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think the lens pieces look great. I used semi gloss black on the main panel and the eye piece and I like the look of that. And the lower grill is basically molded in gun metal so I didn't even paint that. The finished piece looks great on my wall and I think I'll even buy another one so I can have two in the house. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts