Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moebius has done a great job with the Invisible Man, The Mummy, and the most recent kit coming out, Frankenstein. I was wondering if Moebius is considering a Dracula model in the future?

In my opinion the old Revell/Monogram Dracula kits leave something to be desired and judging by what Moebius has been able to do with their monster kits, a Dracula modeled after the great Bela Lugosi would be fantastic!

KurtKC

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I think Bela Lugosi's Dracula is really silly, nothing like the Dracula Stoker descibed in the book and the worst of the Universal monsters. I'd much prefer the Creature myself.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
A Moebius Bela Dracula would be a HUGE improvement over both the Aurora Dracula, as well as Revell's recent reissue with new head sculpt. HUGE improvement!

On the other hand, I have to agree with SUNGOD. I would MUCH rather have a Moebius Creature!!! (Fingers crossed for an iHobby announcement!)

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The Lugosi Dracula is a classic. I suppose everyone has their interpretation of what he should look like. I imagine there are a lot of legal issues with the Lugosi estate (Hence Revell's changing the head in their kit). I'd be really happy with a Christopher Lee Dracula. I think the Creature has been discussed here before...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really think Lugosi's Dracula was the best, just like Karloff was the best Frankenstein monster. Christopher Lee's Dracula was more visceral and I guess would make a good model as well. Whichever, we just need a superior Dracula model!

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Hey I wish there was room in the Moebius universe for both a Creature from the Black Lagoon and a Christopher lee Dracula! No one not even Moebuis has brought out anything Hammer and it's a shame. Resin is nice but plastic is my preferance. Oh well..at least the Creature may have a chance!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd take the Christopher Lee Dracula over Bela...I know Bela's take is a classic, but I think Lee would just make a better subject for a model.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I think Bela Lugosi's Dracula is really silly, nothing like the Dracula Stoker descibed in the book and the worst of the Universal monsters. I'd much prefer the Creature myself.

What The?????????? Silly? Sacriligious Blasphemy I tells ya!!!:)

I know he aint as scary as that Edward fellow from Twilight, but cmon. Leave us older guys and our fading memories of our childhood monsters, alone!:tongue:

Max Bryant

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts

I know he aint as scary as that Edward fellow from Twilight, but cmon. Leave us older guys and our fading memories of our childhood monsters, alone!:tongue:

Max Bryant
That's right, I want my Bela Dracula model now! Growing up in the early 60s with Shock Theater in the Tampa Bay area the classic Universal monster films were the best. Granted they are no longer scary but they captured the essence of these monsters and set the tone. All the special effects and gore used today still cannot better what these films created and all of us graying old guys fondly remember Friday nights, and any other day we could watch them, being scared by these monsters. And we had to wait until they were on TV to watch them, no VHS or DVDs these spoiled kids get today! LOL Anyway, here's hoping Moebius does these last three classics in the grand style they started the series. I think they would get the same amount of sales for a Dracula, Wolfman, and Creature from Moebius.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I'd take the Christopher Lee Dracula over Bela...I know Bela's take is a classic, but I think Lee would just make a better subject for a model.
As always, there would be issues involving licensing, not to mention projected sales. However, I would agree with the choice of a Chris Lee Dracula in general principle. About two years ago, I actually played around with this idea to create a speculative box cover in the spirit of Gary Makatura's "What If" series (who, in my opinion, is the best there is).
Ron G.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Nicely done, Ron. Your box gives Gary a run for his money. (I have several of the Makatura "What-If" boxes, and they are terrific).

I'd love to see another Lugosi Dracula in styrene, having missed out on the Billiken kit and passed on the Horizon one. Interchangable Chaney and Carradine heads would make the kit even more desirable (for me, anyway), and probably prohibitably expensive. But we can dream, can't we.

The day of Moebius's announcements is rapidly approaching! And whatever they
have in store is going to be something I'll want.

Oh hey, back to building... ;-)

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Nicely done, Ron. Your box gives Gary a run for his money. (I have several of the Makatura "What-If" boxes, and they are terrific).

I'd love to see another Lugosi Dracula in styrene, having missed out on the Billiken kit and passed on the Horizon one. Interchangable Chaney and Carradine heads would make the kit even more desirable (for me, anyway), and probably prohibitably expensive. But we can dream, can't we.

The day of Moebius's announcements is rapidly approaching! And whatever they
have in store is going to be something I'll want.

Oh hey, back to building... ;-)
Thanks, but Gary M. will always be THE MAN in this guy's opinion. He has the ability to lay down simple strokes and make them look like something, where others of us may be prone to "overworking" an equivalent area as a sort of crutch. This implies a freedom of expression, yet with control, which seems to come naturally to him. His research into the James Bama style is renowned, and it shows in his work. Gary and I have had long talks about this and other subjects, and he is always humble and gracious. Needless to say, he is also a good friend.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

Max Bryant

I just think of the Count from Sesame street whenever I see Lugosi's Drac. I think Frankenstein and the Creature still stand up reasonably ok today but I can hardly watch the 31 Dracula flick now. Still, who am I to deny you your childhood monsters:)

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
A Moebius Bela Dracula would be a HUGE improvement over both the Aurora Dracula, as well as Revell's recent reissue with new head sculpt. HUGE improvement!

On the other hand, I have to agree with SUNGOD. I would MUCH rather have a Moebius Creature!!! (Fingers crossed for an iHobby announcement!)

It would be great but better not get our hopes up.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That's right, I want my Bela Dracula model now! Growing up in the early 60s with Shock Theater in the Tampa Bay area the classic Universal monster films were the best. Granted they are no longer scary but they captured the essence of these monsters and set the tone. All the special effects and gore used today still cannot better what these films created and all of us graying old guys fondly remember Friday nights, and any other day we could watch them, being scared by these monsters. And we had to wait until they were on TV to watch them, no VHS or DVDs these spoiled kids get today! LOL Anyway, here's hoping Moebius does these last three classics in the grand style they started the series. I think they would get the same amount of sales for a Dracula, Wolfman, and Creature from Moebius.
I lived in the Tampa Bay area in the late 70's, and we had Dr Paul Bearer. What a scream. Not much gore, but the films were better back then!

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I lived in the Tampa Bay area in the late 70's, and we had Dr Paul Bearer. What a scream. Not much gore, but the films were better back then!
Hi Frank,

I spoke with you at Wonderfest this year and I believe you aren't located too far from here, Merritt Island and you are Deland I believe? I had a college buddy from UCF that was raised in Deland, I visited there with him and did some recordings at Stetson in the early 70s.

I remember Paul Bearer but I had moved on at that time. I actually saw him going down I-4 once way back then in his hearse. Always reminded me of Groucho Marx as a monster! Possibly he was trying to mimic that to an extent. But I watched Shock when I was a kid, when I could coerce my mom into letting me stay up after mid-night on Fridays, and it was hosted by Shock Armstrong. The channel was WTVT channel 13. There is a website dedicated to the original channel 13 and has a story on Shock. When you're a monster kid that kind of show is great. But now I can always throw in a DVD and watch all the Universal classics at my leisure.

Also am hoping you decide to do those final three, if they are anywhere near as good as the first three they would be great. Looking forward to your release announcements at iHobby.

Bob Koenn

1 - 20 of 73 Posts