Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Love your work. Fantastic!

But did I notice something in the video???? Looks like the AE35 unit may fail in the near future.:wink2:
Thanks.

Well, I better go out and check that AE35 unit....

Open the pod bay doors please Hal.

Dave?

Yes Hal, it's Dave, open the pod bay doors please Hal.

Dave?

YES HAL, it's Dave, open the pod bay doors!

Dave's not here.

No Hal, I am Dave, open the pod bay doors!

Dave?

:jest:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The first few months I had the model hanging up I was noticing some bending of the spine, played around with different hang points and this seems to be the 2 points that seem to put the least stress on the spine.

So if anyone is hanging this thing these seem to be the best hang locations, it's been this way for a couple months and the spine is still straight:

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
You may want to check back on the curvature when it warms. Surprising how much the temparature varies around windows and near our celling while we still feel comfortable.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That is a north side window with a porch on the other side, so it doesn't heat up like the windows on the south side of the house. And it's not close to the ceiling, it's about 6 1/2 feet off the floor.

Hadn't thought of it before but that metal tube running through the model might be an issue if there were large temperature swings, this model might be long enough that the difference in expantion rates between the metal and plastic could do damage? Hopefully not...

You may want to check back on the curvature when it warms. Surprising how much the temparature varies around windows and near our celling while we still feel comfortable.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great write up and end product! You have convinced me that I am not going to build this beast! Just too much repetitive work and room for error for my poi’s skills!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Great write up and end product! You have convinced me that I am not going to build this beast! Just too much repetitive work and room for error for my poi’s skills!
It's not that bad if you spread the work out over several days, do one set of pods a night, in a week you'd have them all done and ready to glue onto the spine. This model is not something you could easily knock out in a weekend... It's also a pricey model, so that kind of makes you want to take your time with it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Marty,
Thanks, it's still on my list of maybe-dos. My wife isn't fond of me leaving projects out so I'm stuck putting everything away (I don't have a work bench or dedicated area) after each session. My poor 1/350 K'tinga is so neglected it's no wonder the Klingons have bad tempers!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts