Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The antenna dishes are another challenge, had to break out the magnifying headband to put the tiny bits on the small dishes. Also the cross member on the large dish has so many sprue attachment points for such a thin part. Got it off the sprue intact but it broke while trying to clean it up. Hopefully my repair efforts will not be noticeable in the end. I'll take some picts this evening when the glue is fully dried.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't tell where the spider for the big dish broke so that fix was a success, the scale is way off on the spiders for the smaller dishes, it's also a bit off for the larger one as well. Not sure I can make anything better out of plastic, I could probably carve some out of basswood, or use copper wire... I'll think about it during the long process of building the dozens of cargo pods.

Antenna dishes.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've built 4 of the cargo pod holders and found a problem with the tabs that are supposed to line up the holders with the ends. The antenna dish section lines up correctly but the spine tilts to one side if you attach it to the ends. The tab on the end piece should be moved about half the width of the tab to the right when looking at the tab. And it is the same on both ends (because the cargo pod supports flip around when you pass the antenna dishes so the ends are mirrored).

I'll be cutting the tab thinner until the spine is aligned correctly.

Tab error.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been thinking about ways to keep all the cargo pods on the spine aligned as well as keeping the spine aligned with the ends. The tabs between the 10 holders have a little play so the cumulative errors could build up if trying to align them from the ends and then put 2 halves together.

I think the best way would be to epoxy the rods into the antenna dish section first, then build out from there. That should give a spine with all the pods aligned properly, then it's just a matter of attaching the drive and command ends properly. Doing it that way will also create 3 pieces at a more manageable size for painting.

FYI: The antenna dish section has a steel sleeve inside it, and there are 2 steel tubes that make up the spine. And the support stand rods are the same size steel tubing, those are very useful while building small sections that go on the spine.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used a piece of scrap wood to hold the steel tubes straight while the epoxy cured.

And now have started on the long process of building the cargo pods, the small ones are quite annoying to put together, and there are 18 of the smallest ones to make.

Made a few of all of them just to get the spine started and see how things are going to go together, making all of one type at a time should go slightly faster.

Spine tubing epoxied together.

Starting on the cargo pods.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My photo etch came in so took a break from making cargo pods to mess around with that.

The stuff for the airlock door looks great:

Photo etch door.

I was toying with the idea of lighting the cockpit, but very little can be seen through the window, and I will end up hanging this from the window frame of a bay window in my house so that will limit the view inside even more.

Idea now is to do a simple paint job of white with the computer areas black, and then a light coat of red to simulate red lighting.

Photo etch cockpit.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
39 pods made, 26 to go. 13 of those are the smallest ones that are much harder than the larger ones to hold together while the glue dries without collapsing them. And to get the seams to go away you need to have all 5 pieces together while the plastic is still a bit soft from the glue so you can press all the seams together tightly.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the photo etch cockpit painted, the limited view through the window makes it hard to see much of what is in there.

Cockpit done.

Cockpit detail.

This would look great with lighting, but you can't see it because the window for the cockpit is recessed so far in that the angles you can see into the cockpit are very narrow, basically you can only see the center of the walls of the cockpit, not the floor or ceiling.

Cockpit detail.

Cockpit detail.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts