Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a kit I purchased about a year ago on eBay. I got it about 50% complete, and then it just sat for about 3 months. During a work furlough I decided to get back to it. I have added some aftermarket parts. The wood decking is by scaledecks.com for the Tamiya 1/350 kit so I did have to modify many of the sections to fit. I have WWII U.S. Navy railings by Eduard which I will be installing next, and also TotalNavy 1/350 anchor chains which will be installed prior to the forward radar display. The superstructure and all guns above A deck are just dry fitted for now. This should make applying the railings easier.

It's by no means perfect, but should make for a decent display when completed.

All paints are rattle can or bushed on enamel. The color I chose for the exterior is a french blue. I wanted to give the model a bit more depth and avoid painting it the medium gray it comes molded in. I may try to post-shade it, (perhaps dry brushing/wash), with some light gray acrylic.

Any thoughts or comments on the how to achieve this effect would be appreciated.
If you like it the way it is let me know.

Thanks,

Craig C.

·
Administrator
26,692 Posts
I like the shade of blue you picked but not on the name plate. I know its the same color (probably) but the angle and light reflection seems to not be enough grey.

As to weathering look to the model rail road hobby and their weathering techniques for metal buildings and sea shore dios.

It will be a personal preference for the amount and level though as each day, month, year of exposure after the last dry dock service will change what weathers first and to what extent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the shade of blue you picked but not on the name plate. I know its the same color (probably) but the angle and light reflection seems to not be enough grey.

As to weathering look to the model rail road hobby and their weathering techniques for metal buildings and sea shore dios.

It will be a personal preference for the amount and level though as each day, month, year of exposure after the last dry dock service will change what weathers first and to what extent.
LOL! Yes you are right. I noticed this as well. The reason it appears more blue is because I sprayed it with clear gloss enamel. I should probably remove it and spray it again with dullcote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts