Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey...

It occurs to me that one of the techniques that I have developed in creating my masters might actually be interesting to folks...

I have often used a thin "string" of Apoxy-Sculpt as "glue". Especially for light-blocking situations... this might be a very useful tip.

I make a tiny little ball of Apoxy-sculpt... then roll it into a thin string... and apply it where I am attempting to adhere one part to another... there is about an hour or so of good working time to make adjustments... but then must be followed by leaving it alone overnight or so. When assembling the parts... squeeze them tight and allow the Apoxy-Sculpt to be pushed out... and simply wipe it away and clean up the area. You end up with a very solid bond with complete light-block seal... but it's overkill if you are trying to get stuff done fast

...anyway... just thought i would throw it out there for folks to enjoy, criticize, whatever!

In situations where i am worried about strength... I add a drop/smear of super glue to both sides of the the adherance. This obviously has an impact on the workable time window, though.

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH IT... is's easy... just grab a glob of part A.. then grab a glob of part B pretty much the same size as the glob of part A you just grabbed... then knead the 2 togehter for a minute or so... get them good and mixed together... and you now have "clay" that will become plastic tomorrow, but is easy to work with for the next hour or so. I often work with extremely tiny globs... a "pinch" of part A and a "pinch" of part B still gives me way more than I need to get a tiny detail job done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What a great idea, this would probably work with Milliput too.

Drew, I think you may have just solved my upper saucer to lower saucer light blocking problems.
Thanks mate!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Excellent tip!

In fact, for a fast version of this technique you could just thicken up a batch of "insert epoxy type here!" using microballoons, silica powder or other non-reactive filler.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually thinking of the refit saucer rim parts when I posted the tip... generally a simple technique that many probably already do but never thought to post... or did and the post is long forgotten. It does SEAM to be a robust technique... pun INTENDED... please do not correct my spelling :)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Drew, I use a similar technique when I am reposing Iron Man.

I roll up a small ball of the two part epoxy putty and then jam it between the two mating surfaces (say the wrist and the forearm). as it's drying, I can sculpt detail in and trim off the excess.

never tried it for light blocking..sounds promising:wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts