Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going through old collections of photos and trying to organize. While doing that, I found a few from the mid- to late-70's that are both fun and embarrassing to remember.

Here was the boy-cave circa 1979.

That's the original smoothie refit kit along with a selection of Trek, Galactica, Space:1999, Buck Rogers and Star Wars. The odd thing in the upper left was a version of the ship in the bottle. The kit contained the Apollo and Soyuz ships from their linkup mission and it was in a plastic bottle complete with cork.:p The blue Enterprise is mounted on one of those fiber optic light kits you could buy from Spencer Gifts in the 70's. Those were my source for kit lighting back then. I know I also lit a Galactica and Star Destroyer the same way.

I spent way too much time trying to get home-made FX shots. Here are two with Eagles.

And finally, the embarrassment. You wanna talk gridlines??

No, I don't know what I was thinking. Yes, I know the number's wrong. Chalk it up to a 12-year-old's very slowly developing modeling skills.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great shots! I had much the same looking shelf setup populated with most of the same kits. One question - no Farrah Fawcett beach blanket background/ nipple poster? Every pre-pubescent boy in school had one (including me).

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also on display are the Trek and Tolkien book collections (still have most of those), slipcases loaded with Starlogs, original Starfleet Tech manual and calendars for (left to right) Galactica, Superman The Movie and the animated Lord of the Rings.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
718 Posts
Great shots! I had much the same looking shelf setup populated with most of the same kits. One question - no Farrah Fawcett beach blanket background/ nipple poster? Every pre-pubescent boy in school had one (including me).
Nah, I didn't have one of those... I had one of THESE...

Damn, but I still have "fantasy flashbacks" to that one... :wave:

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
way back in 1980 I got my first Battlestar Galactica model and it still hangs in my living room, along with another one that I found at a yard sale and I have painted it all black.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Oh yeah. In the early 70s I was living in Phoenix and working at Tower Hobbies, in Tower Plaza. Built a 1/72 Albatross from Master of the World and it was in the window long after I left. Also built the Eagle from the Yes Fragile album and the only kit-bashed N scale Erie triplex Matt H. Shay. For the train buffs out there, it was a 4-8-8-8-4 articulated. Ah, those were the days.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
Here's my room in 1971:

Monogram and Hawk heavy.
I apparently didn't get a shot of the shelves. :(

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool...thanks for the step back in time. I like the stereo too, Emerson, Kenwood???
Don't remember, but it was certainly one of the cheaper brands. Turntable and radio. Cassette was an added component. Then finally CD in '87. Still have my very first CD. It's this one.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,234 Posts
My very first album was the Best of Simon & Garfunkel, gotten as a present in 1973 when I also got a Lloyds stereo turntable/receiver for my room. I still have the album, plus the replacement I got when it wore out, plus a replacement CD.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice. I did the same thing with an Alpha kit on a patch of dirt in my parents' garden.:p No pics though.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
My wife just said "your room looks the same now as it did then!" Hmph.

Actually, I have MORE models in my office now than I ever had in my bedroom in the 70's...

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Hormonal changes caused me to give up such childish things in the 70's. After pursuing...uh, er...'certain things' (censored), I reverted back to models in around the late 80's.

Went from trying to build a harem, to building a collection! So what happened? :confused: Got out of it for about fouteen years and about seven years or so ago I got back into it.

The one constant in the universe is styrene.

Well, actually, that's not all together true. I think I do remember filling the need to build plastic inbetween girlsfriends, here and there. :rolleyes:

hal9001-

1 - 20 of 52 Posts