Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past months the modeling forums have become a place that have bleed a lot of good members and the traffic has dropped dramatically. Because of that I will be making a few changes in hopes of reversing this trend.

First on the list was to convert the SciFi & Star Trek forum into a straight SciFi Forum... duh... Star Trek IS SciFi isn't it? If needed, at some point in the future, we may add a seperate Star Trek Modeling forum... we'll how it goes.

Next on the list is having another look at the Movies for Modelers forum. This forum has constently been a trouble spot for off-topic discussions, flaming and other disruptive actions. While I have not made a final decision, I am leaning towards eliminating that forum to eliminate the problem since there seems to be some that just DON'T GET IT!

There are also some plans to add a couple of new areas which I can not discuss at this time. These should round out some of the topic areas for modelers. Hopefully we can get back to where a couple of years ago and move on. Thanks!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,164 Posts
I would beg for you to retain the Movies for Modelers section. Every forum needs a little OT release like that section provides. I'll be good. :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Ditto. PLEASE allow Movies For Modelers to continue. The intelligent and informative discussion on that board outweighs any flaming 100 to 1.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Please keep the movie board Hank. It's the first sub-board I hit every day, 99.99% of the discussion is on the up and up as well as being very informative.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It might bear remembering that many of the more avid participants in the Movies for Modeling are among the few people these days that actually still post about science fiction modeling. The two subjects go hand in hand, since 99% of the genre models are from science fiction movies or TV.

If it's a matter of bandwidth, perhaps somebody could collate the dozen or so seperate threads about how the new CGI-enhanced Star Trek is great and/or sucks.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I think the "some that just don't get it" is always the same three or four guys. Come down hard on the guys who start the obviously contentious threads and the problem will clear up quickly.

If I may make an observation regarding reduced traffic. I can say from personal experience that my model (kit) building has dropped off dramatically in the last year simply because there is less to build.

When I joined Hobbytalk, PL was introducing a couple of new kits every month...sometimes it seemed like a new kit every week. I remember going to the local hobbyshop (now CLOSED!) and picking up four NEW releases at one time. I think the downturn in traffic probably reflects the general slow down in the supply of new modeling products.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
As my handle (AFILMDUDE) obviously implies, I'd like see the Movies for Modelers forum continue. Without it, I'll be spending even less time here. (All right! Who just cheered!!) It just seems counter-productive to close yet another forum in the hopes of stopping people from leaving...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hank I'm down on my knees to ya and in denial about the decline. The Movies board sucks me in on a daily basis, so much more enjoyable to me than other movie boards (IMdb, etc). Please keep me in the movies board and in hobbytalk and overall and in general, "say it ain't so."

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The Movies for Modelers board is the first one I check every day. Most of the time I don't go to any other board in this or any other modeling forum. If it were to go away, I will probably be seen less frequently here.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Since Da Rulz were posted a few months ago, I've noticed a significant drop in the number of way-off-topic threads. This seems to indicate that 99 percent of us are willing to obey the traffic signs and behave like civilized adults. (You other 1 percent know who you are.) As to the Movies for Modelers board, while much of the discussion there may not relate directly to modeling, at least it's a venue for mostly intelligent, literate criticism of movies and TV by people with I.Q.'s in the triple digits! As Spock would say, "I find it most refreshing." Please allow this board to continue.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Brent Gair said:
I think the "some that just don't get it" is always the same three or four guys. Come down hard on the guys who start the obviously contentious threads and the problem will clear up quickly.
Amen.

This is the only movie bbs I frequent, and I'd hate to see it go away (where else would I be able to find "City Lights" being discussed on the same thread as "City Beneath the Sea")?

This forum is unique. Please don't discontinue it on account of a few bad apples.

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Ditto my own opinion to keeping the "Movies For Modellers" forum intact; it's a great way to discuss irwin Allen, fantastic Voyage, First men in the Moon, Bladerunner, heck, even The Wild, Wild West.
Apart from a love of modelling, these films are another important commonality that keep us returning to this site daily. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Put in my vote for the board also. I go to the Movie board if I don't have time for any other. I have gotten several movies and found out about a lot of background stuff that helped me find info on models and movies that I couldn't find elsewhere.

·
Banned
2,214 Posts
Please keep the Movies for Modelers board. I ignore the postings which dont seem to have MODEL related topics but I must confess it is fun to read complaints about Super Hero Movies not being faithful to the comics. Other threads remind me when to catch classic Sci-Fi movies and tv shows! I divide my time between Modeling Forum / Movies for Modelers / Slotcars and peek at a few of the others. You run an EXCELLENT MESSAGE BOARD. I miss the PL Family, though. We were the BEST board!

·
Banned
487 Posts
the problem with the Movies for Modelers forum is if someone does not agree with the "crowd" he's called a troll or other names! if you cant let guys have a different opinion, i say dump the Movies for Modelers forum!!!!!!
if you want to keep it, lower the boom on name calling and personal insults!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Please keep the Movies For Modelers forum! Honestly and with all due respect, I don't think that the MFM forum is any worse than any of the other forums here at HT - at least those w/in the Modeling main forum that I frequent - in regards to disruptive posts. Sure, they crop up every so often, but they do so in almost any forum on the 'Net. And then there's the whole aspect of Topic Drift - which I don't think I'll get in to right now. :)

'Sides, you just got me in there on a regular basis to keep the peace. Give us a bit more time w/a Mod who's in there regularly, please?

john guard said:
the problem with the Movies for Modelers forum is if someone does not agree with the "crowd" he's called a troll or other names! if you cant let guys have a different opinion, i say dump the Movies for Modelers forum!!!!!!
John, as you well know, everyone is allowed their opinion to be stated in the forums as long as it doesn't violate TOS. If you post an opinion, tho, don't expect everyone to agree with you. If you post a particularly inflammatory opinion... Well, to be blunt, you reap what you sew in the form of peer backlash.
if you want to keep it, lower the boom on name calling and personal insults!
You'll want to be careful of that inflammatory commentary too, then.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Those who "just don't get it" probably gravitate to the Movies for Modelers board largely because it is the most wide-ranging board in the Models section. If that board goes away, I'd think it's likely many of their dubious posts will simply move to another board, and they will still require just as much policing -- if not more -- than they already do. Those who cannot behave will continue to do so regardless of how much freedom they are given, unless they are locked out completely or have an epiphany (as unlikely as that may be, it could happen).

Movies for Modelers is, as others have noted, always the first board I check each day, and the one I check whether I check others or not. I'd very much like to see it continue.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I Also stongly support the MFM board for many of the reasons already posted.

Not only does most sci-fi and fantasy modeling derive from movies, but other subjects can as well.

Not having the MFM board as a resource would be like not being allowed to use the color black in painting a model.

Plus its a good 'catch all' for those OT things.

Its an essential.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts