Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a build a model, replica or toy?

For ME, I think it's a model when you make it, and you can look at it & go 'wow'.
It's a replica when you also light it up or add sound as seen/heard onscreen.
It's a toy* when you physically play with it often after you finish it.

Does this sound right to you?

*'Toy' does not denote child-like simplicity here.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'd have replied sooner, but I was zooming the J2 around making laser noises and shooting down giant alien crows..

The only figures I have that fit in the chairs are gashapon vollyball girls..Woo HOO!!

Does that answer your question?

Steve

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
When is a build a model, replica or toy?

For ME, I think it's a model when you make it, and you can look at it & go 'wow'.
It's a replica when you also light it up or add sound as seen/heard onscreen.
It's a toy* when you physically play with it often after you finish it.

Does this sound right to you?

*'Toy' does not denote child-like simplicity here.
Interesting topic of discussion. We're going to have fun with this one!

I suggest:

It is a model when it is represents something in a size other than the original.

It is a replica when it attempts to duplicate something as closely as possible, including size and function.

It is a toy when durability and play value take precedence over accurately duplicating the original.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think I have to agree with Fozzie, to a point. I just built a lightsaber, it's not a replica from a movie, it has lights and sound, and I play with it a lot.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If they are not real, or take you to work. It's prolly a toy.

That's one way to tell I'm about done with a build, I start putting silly figures in the pictures of the build.
I think all are true at the same time. If you charge 10 grand to build some guy a model.. it 'freakin better be a replica!

Most folks here are having fun and building stuff. Sub Guy was way out of line trashing folks who build kits as opposed to guys who start from scratch.

We do this because we like to build stuff...It's a hoot to open the box and look at the instructions, the decals, the parts...

" I'm a Modeler and that's OK. I build plastic kits 'till the break of day"

Steve

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
It all depends on the intent of the design and build.

If it's designed to just be a display piece, it's a model. If it's designed with a high degree of accuracy in mind, it's also a replica (especially if it's full scale).

If it's designed to be played with, and can handle the punishment that can be meted out by the typical nine year old, then it's a toy, regardless of how accurate the design is.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's designed to be played with, and can handle the punishment that can be meted out by the typical nine year old, then it's a toy, regardless of how accurate the design is.
My inner 9 year old resents that 'punishment' remark. But then I am atypical...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Its a model if it is a less-than-1:1 scale representation of something, regardless of the level of accuracy.

Its a replica if it is a copy of something, made to be as identical as possible to the original.

Its a toy if you allow either of the above to be played with by a 9-year old.

Its a prop if you allow only adults to play with it.

Scott

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Its a model if it is a less-than-1:1 scale representation of something, regardless of the level of accuracy.

Its a replica if it is a copy of something, made to be as identical as possible to the original.

Scott
I think he's got it. :)

Everything else is quibble, really. 'Toy' might refer to something that is only mass produced with seams and visible screws/screw holes and so on.

I might suggest 'role play/cosplay item' as an alternate or qualifier to 'prop'.

(and I can't believe that Cosplay has actually become a generally understood term)

And I will cop to occasionally whipping out a Tricorder to 'take a reading', practicing my Lightsaber kata and Phaser target practice. And of course occasionally toting a Sonic Screwdriver.

DST, where is my TNG Tricorder! AARRGGH. :)

·
Banned
1,657 Posts

Scott
Best definition yet.

·
Banned
718 Posts
mod·el/ˈmädl/
Noun:
A three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original.

rep·li·ca/ˈreplikə/
Noun:

An exact copy or model of something, esp. one on a smaller scale.
A duplicate of an original artistic work.

toy/toi/
Noun:

An object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something.
An object, esp. a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for an adult: "in 1914 the car was still a rich man's toy".

So... a "replica" is just a model which is intended to be "EXACT"... it's a subclassification of "model" in other words. And while "toy" isn't inherently a subcategory of "model," many (perhaps most?) toys are subcategories of models.

Think of a Venn diagram ("set theory" stuff if you don't know the term). There's a big circle called "models." There's a smaller circle called "replicas" which is entirely within the larger "model" circle. And there's a circle, size indeterminate, which partially overlaps the "models" circle which is called "toys."

To me... the key part is... is it intended to be exceptionally accurate, or it intended to be "just good enough?" The Playmates ships were models, but the presence of glue lines, visible screw heads, peel-off stickers for markings, etc, made them toys.

The "Art Asylum" ships blur that line a lot more... they have clear defects which make them unsuitable for treatment as "replicas," but the level of detail and accuracy are much better, and so they're approaching an ideal blending of the two "model" subcategories... NEARLY able to be referred to as "replicas" but still suitable to be referred to as "toys" as well.

That's my take on the topic. It's all a matter of overlapping Venn diagram circles.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
They're all technically models.

I'd only call something a replica if it was indistinguishable from the real thing in a photograph.

It's only a toy when you play with it. :)

YMMV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts