Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on ebay I saw a model from 1958 up for bid.

The box was open and the model parts were in a clear plastic bag that we are all familiar with.

My question is were the parts in plastic bags back in 1958?

I could certainly be wrong but I remember the sprues just being loose in the box.

In addition I also remember(???) the boxes themselves were not shrink wraped. Just taped, if that.

As many models as I built back in the 50-60's I honestly cannot remember anything definite about the above mentioned packaging!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Today on ebay I saw a model from 1958 up for bid.

The box was open and the model parts were in a clear plastic bag that we are all familiar with.

My question is were the parts in plastic bags back in 1958?

I could certainly be wrong but I remember the sprues just being loose in the box.

In addition I also remember(???) the boxes themselves were not shrink wraped. Just taped, if that.

As many models as I built back in the 50-60's I honestly cannot remember anything definite about the above mentioned packaging!!!
If you are talking about Aurora,yes sometimes the parts were bagged (sometimes stapled sometimes heat sealed) Aurora boxes were wrapped in the 50s in the cigarette pack style celophane.

BRIAN

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
50s boxes were usually taped but also often sealed. Bagged kits are rare. Most/all of my very old Aurora kits were wrapped in tissue paper.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Aurora/ Playcraft had bagged aircraft and figure kits that I've seen but they were Airfix style with header cards. I believe they were UK only.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Interesting question, spawndude - an unbuilt Apache Warrior kit (circa 1958-60) was shown on ebay a couple of years ago and the horse parts were only wrapped in tissue paper but the parts for the warrior were bagged separately. I've got a Chinese Girl kit (circa 1955) with the parts bagged in a thickish plastic bag. But I've got 'longbox' versions of the tanks from the 1960's which have no bag for the parts, just the sprues straight in the box.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
It really depends on what brand of kit he is talking about. Lindberg did not use bags much until the 70s. Italeri didn't use bags until probably the 1990s. Aurora did use some bags but often used tissue paper, as did Lindberg. Revell USA often did not use bags through the 60s but Revell Japan did.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts