Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a quick check on Google and Yahoo and didn't find anything, GK. Whereabouts did you hear of this outfit?

Mark McG.
I have a couple of ( 1/20 ) scale resin figures ( listed as " Female Soldier B " ) on the box . I believe that the figure is supposed to be part of a new resin " SF 3D " ( 1/20 ) series , as a continuation of that old series of styrene kits from the 80's . The box also has printed on it " MODEL - IN " . I purchased the figures from a vendor at a recent hobby show in my area , but failed to ask the seller about info on the company who made the figures .

GK

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
GK,

Hasagawa has issued a model of the "Falke Antigravity Armored Raider Pkf 85" in 1/20 scale that does indeed appear to have been designed along the lines of those SF 3D kits you mentioned. I got the photo below from the FineScale Modeler review, which you can find on their web site. Maybe your figures are aftermarket items intended to go with this kit?

Mark McG.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GK,

There is a guy on Evil Bay who has sold one of these figures ( I think it is the same one that you are asking about), who is based in China.

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250472094295

I wonder if they are the original kit or a rip off recast? If it is original kit, he might know the maker. Do you want me to give him a shout and try and find out for you?

Simon
Yeah , that's the figure . Please go ahead and try to extract the info from him . I would hate to think Simon , that I had purchased recasts , as the boxes the figs. came in looked factory legit , but even boxes these days are counterfitted .

GK

·
Registered
541 Posts
No problem GK,

I have emailed the guy and will let you know if he replies. It probably is an original that you have, if the box looks legit. Most of the recast kits coming out of China and Thailand come in cheap plastic bags ( I only know as I bought an Horizon Creature From the Black Lagoon, thinking it was an original, which turned out to be a cheap recast). It could be that this guy on ebay might be recasting from the original kit.

Simon :thumbsup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem GK,

I have emailed the guy and will let you know if he replies. It probably is an original that you have, if the box looks legit. Most of the recast kits coming out of China and Thailand come in cheap plastic bags ( I only know as I bought an Horizon Creature From the Black Lagoon, thinking it was an original, which turned out to be a cheap recast). It could be that this guy on ebay might be recasting from the original kit.

Simon :thumbsup:
Thank you Simon .

GK

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Model-In aka Toy-In are RECASTERS. They sell via eBay and also have a web site. I do not recommend them. I have never bought from them, but was suckered by their web site until someone else pointed out their eBay infamy for ripping off sculptors and name brands of figures. Some of the people ripped off directly have commented about them on another forum, Missing Links, in the figure discussion group.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi GK, :wave:

Just got a reply back from the seller on ebay. I asked if he could tell me the maker of the kit as I was interested in buying more of the series. This is his reply;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi,
i have another 2 items:
http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250513777521&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250513829458&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
thanks

- resinkit-de

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Simon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see that the seller is located in Shanghai, China. That should have sent up a red flag (no pun intended).

Mark McG.
I think you need to rethink your statement . It sounds racist to me . Trumpeter Models is also out of Shanghi , China . Are you now going to say that they are recasters and no one should purchase their kits ? . Also Mark , that last statement to me seems to be a personal attack . I do not accept nor tolorate that from anyone , especially here . That last statement of yours is an insult , and that's how I have taken it .

Gene Kube
Col. USA Aviation Ret.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi GK, :wave:

Just got a reply back from the seller on ebay. I asked if he could tell me the maker of the kit as I was interested in buying more of the series. This is his reply;

hi,
i have another 2 items:
http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250513777521&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com.hk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250513829458&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
thanks

- resinkit-de

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Simon
You know what , Simon , I don't think in the case of the three figures from Ebay ( these two plus the one like mine ) are recasts . Model-In may recast , but they may also be doing their own original figs . I think we need to take a page here out of the rule of law : individuals are innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt . If these figs. are recasts , then we need to know who produced the originals . And that means those who are quick to acuse need to start backing those statements with hard facts and evidence .

I don't know about anyone else, but I paid for the figs. which I purchased , I do not consider them recasts , I like them , and I intend to paint and include them into a couple of dioramas , and take them to the next IPMS show in my area for judgement ! ! ! ! !

Thank you for all of your research !

Gene Kube

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Model In could make some original figures but since they make and sell recasts... my opinion would be to buy thier originals is still supporting them... I would not...

There is nothing racist about pointing out that Model In comes from China... Sadly, copyright laws in China and Asia are not well enforced. Thats the truth. I would be very leery buying resin and vinyl figures from Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Shanghai. THey aren't the only ones... Russia and Ukraine are high on the list of recasters, and also bootlegged, scanned books and paper card models. Its not to say everyone over there is bad, but yeah... location is important. If you want to buy from some reputable Asian shops try some place like Lucky Models (Hong Kong?) and Hobby Terra (Ukraine)

Trumpeter is a poor example to use as a "legit" company... many of their kits are blatent rip offs of other brands. For example, their T-72 tank is a direct rip off of the Tamiya kit, right down to the photocopy of the Tamiya instructions. The kit instructions (becuase they are Tamiya's) shows the use of metal coil springs, rubber tube and photo-etch parts. The Trumpeter kit has the photo-etch parts printed as stickers !?!?! and the wire and rubber parts are provided as thick white packing string. Trumpeter's sister company Hobby Boss (all of that stuff is made by the Wasan Plastic Molding Company) has the nickname Copy Boss since a good many of their kits are part for part clones of Revell (Rafale), Eduard (Mirage III), Hasegawa (F-18) etc.

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
I think you need to rethink your statement . It sounds racist to me . ... Also Mark , that last statement to me seems to be a personal attack . ...That last statement of yours is an insult , and that's how I have taken it .
GK,

Much as I enjoy communicating with other modelers on these forums, there is the problem that I can't always express myself to the fullest extent through the written word. If we were having this discussion in person, you might not have taken my statement as either racist or insulting; I meant it as neither.

But I have seen a whole lot of recast kits coming from China, Thailand, Malaysia, etc. on eBay. Surely you've seen these issues raised over on the "Ethics Of Recasting" thread as well. And there have been any number of news reports on the problem of piracy and the laxity of enforcement of copyright laws in that part of the world.

Maybe my statement was a little too general, and for that I apologize - but the undeniable fact remains that there's a lot of intellectual theft going on in Asia (and elsewhere) and about that I can do nothing.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
541 Posts
GK,

And there have been any number of news reports on the problem of piracy and the laxity of enforcement of copyright laws in that part of the world.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Mark McG.

Come on now Mark, now I'm taking offence to you using the word Laxity!

Simon "Laxity" Laxon

Only Joking :tongue:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts