Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats my opinion.Last week I bought 2 Moebius 1/350 Seaviews and some Polly Scale Paint and it cost me almost $73.00.I will say this I think twice now even if I really want a model kit.Another example,I want the Second Edition reissue of the A.M.T.Enterprise molded in Blue Plastic and at this point its only available in a Tin and cost $35.00.As well as Mr Spock although he will be produced in a Carboard Box and be cheaper.I can tell you I would buy many more of these kits if the prices were cheaper.The model companies should adjust their prices for what people can afford.I believe many people are still unemployed and they should take that into consideration.Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I disagree with you. I believe it falls to the modeler to show some fiscal responsibility and not to spend outside of their means. I love the hobby, and I buy when I can. Models companies need to be profitable too. It's those profits that go to develop the new models we all want. I don't know what pricing model they use to cover their expenses, but I am sure they could cut costs to customers some, but let's be realistic, it is what it is.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I had to shop around to afford some new kit issues and now save $10-$15 per Moebius kit through a local hobby store. And I only pay sales tax, no shipping! I just have to find the lowest internet price from a regular business (not an ebay seller, for example), and show the screen print to the hobby shop and the owner will match the price.

The other main local hobby shop (and a very good one at that!) never lowers their prices from the full retail, even on kits that have been sitting on their shelves for $15 years.

·
Banned
2,726 Posts
You might try building what models you have until you situation gets better.if model companies cant make a profit,they will stop making new models.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Model companies need money to buy their supplies too like the polystyrene pellets they use to put in their extruders. It's a cycle. A company has to pay more for their product to make their product and has to make up for it somehow.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Model companies have adjusted their prices for a bad economy. THEIRS!
Over the years fewer and fewer people pick this up as a hobby and those of us left aren't getting younger. When I started building kits I had only a few other things I could do. I did not have any of these time killers. Internet access, IPods, Cell phones, texting, Myspace, Facebook, X-Box, Wii, Playstation, computer games, cable television, etc. I had a 13" black and white my dad had in the basement and it received maybe 9 tv stations. After my homework was done I sat in front of that TV and built models. A lot of us grey hairs can relate similar stories. My point is there were more kits being sold years back. So as an example, kit companies sold 200,000 kits for 2.00 each. Today with fewer people building they may sell 20,000 kits for 20.00 each. Even Monogram (I mean Revell) repops that were born in the 70's and sold for 2.00 now go for 15.00. Just because of the smaller customer base to sell to.
Kit companies have had to adjust to the lower demand for their product. Sure stuff is more detailed today but if they had more volume in sales kit prices could be lower. Not the case today. fewer units sold equates to a higher price per unit, just that simple. The kit manufacturers have got to still make a buck otherwise they go under. Model building today and in the future will be very much a special niche hobby.

So I understand your sting in the wallet as I feel it too, but the days of cheap hobby kits are on the wane.

Cheers,
Max Bryant

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I think it's fair to say that a lot of the latest kits are reissues that had paid for their molds years ago. It's not like the companies had to pay (again) the major cost of researching and tooling up for them! They put them in tins and then think they're worth a fortune because of it.
Please bear in mind I'm not talking about companies like Moebius who are starting from scratch in a niche market- I'm referring to long established companies who are saving money by reissuing long paid for tooling.
Personally I buy a kit to build (even my beloved Auroras) so the tins and associated "collector" crap that goes along with the reissues mean absolutely nothing to me.
You have to remember too that nearly ALL companies are taking hits to their profit margins - banks, supermarkets, car yards, everyone. So they're gonna screw every cent they can get out of whoever they can to recoup that profit.
BTW, here in Australia the average Revell car kit (not the SSP stuff- the regular kits) is between $45-55 on average.... The Moebius Seaview is $249.95 at Mr.Toys in Springwood (south Brisbane).... our dollar is very strong at the moment but the prices seem to go up monthly!!...

Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Its pretty simple: if you cant afford it dont buy it! There are plenty of kits that I have had to pass on buying because of the economy. 10 years ago I never had to think about it but now I give alot of thought to any purchase! Also gone are the days when I buy to collect! If I cant build it within 2 to 3 months I dont buy it! If something comes along thats more than I have in my hobby budjet then I sell something on e-place to get the money for it. In the past 3 years I have sold off most of my collection of rare kits that I would never build anyway and thats how I finance my expensive kits that I actually do build!

The hobby producers have to show a profit just like any other business. Now I'm not saying that some kits are not over priced...yes some of them are. With reduced sales in this economy higher unit prices are inevitable. That said there are some of the repops that I feel the price is quite fair. I have on preorder the Round 2 Mr. Spock and Interplanetary UFO for $17.95 each! To me thats a great price in any economy! With Moebius, the bang for the buck that they provide on their kits I feel they are priced quite fairly!

The economy is effecting everyone and we just need to spend smart right now and with a little patience hope things turn arround! If not...2012 is just arround the corner!Lol!:wave:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Model kits are made from plastic.
Plastic is made from oil.
The price of oil is $76.54 per barrel
(as of November, Sunday 15 2009 - 04:30:43).
That cost requires a higher selling price for the kits.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Thats my opinion.Last week I bought 2 Moebius 1/350 Seaviews and some Polly Scale Paint and it cost me almost $73.00.I will say this I think twice now even if I really want a model kit.Another example,I want the Second Edition reissue of the A.M.T.Enterprise molded in Blue Plastic and at this point its only available in a Tin and cost $35.00.As well as Mr Spock although he will be produced in a Carboard Box and be cheaper.I can tell you I would buy many more of these kits if the prices were cheaper.The model companies should adjust their prices for what people can afford.I believe many people are still unemployed and they should take that into consideration.Guy Schlicter.
well that would be nice... but is possible only if we lived in a fantasy world where model kits were made from no-cost materials and these folks just set their prices arbitrarily going by what the market will bear. unfortunately we live in the real universe, and thats not the way things work on planet earth. sure you'd buy more if the items were cheaper, but as the old saying goes, "you cant take a loss on an item and make it up on the volume."

model companies, as well as other manufacturers, generally put their products out at the lowest possible price point they can. by necessity, there are also usually a couple of middlemen, the distributor and the retailer, between the manufacturer and the customer. these people too try to hold prices down as much as they can. times are tough for everybody and these people have to feed their families too, so they also hold down prices to give you, the consumer, as much incentive to purchase as they can.

addressing auroranut's point, it costs much more than you realize simply to put the molds onto the machines and start kicking them out than it did then, and that cost gets spread out more if you make a greater number of castings. those molds were made at a time when these model kits were selling probably 1000X times more then they are today, and could therefore be run off for pennies per copy. aurora's / amt's original per kit profit margins were undoubtedly much higher than those of R2 and moebius. (dont forget that the spock and enterprise molds had to be rehabilitated before they were reissued, and that too cost money.)

as to the tin boxed collectors editions, those arent aimed at the model builder. what they are really selling there isnt the kit, but a VERY LOW RUN tin box, aimed at tin box collectors. (i emphasize "low run" because, once again, the fewer you make, the higher the cost per copy.)

let me also add this: do you guys think these are made in china because the manufacturers want to make them there? again they are forced to in order to be able to put these items out at (what we consider to be) a reasonable price point. it would be much easier to make them domestically, but it would drive the per kit cost through the roof.

the upshot is that the manufacturers DO take the economy into consideration when they release these products. prices arent this way because these folks are greedy. it costs real time money and takes real time labor to produce these products. the materials must be paid for, and the workers deserve to be paid a wage that allows them to live in a middle-lass economy. beyond that, if the people producing their kits werent fans of the hobby and the genre these kits wouldnt exist at all, because really there arent enough of us to make it truly worthwhile for a major manufacturer. (remember the first thing RC2 did after buying playing mantis was to shut down polar lights.)

just thank your lucky stars that you arent buying a resin gk or vintage version for 10X the money on ebay, as you would have a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I buy most of my kits online or on ebay. But I buy paint, glue etc from my local hobby shop. I bought 4 bottles of Alclad 2 from them at a premium price but I try to support the local business here when I can. Could I have gotten the paint cheaper on the net? Maybe. But when you account for shipping it almost comes out the same for me.
Kits cost what they cost. License, R&D, initial production costs are big bucks. I cannot recall times like these where companies like Round 2 and Moebius are producing kits that are great subjects and high quality. I am glad for them and the relationship they have to the modeling community.
Like many of you, I just have to spend more wisely in the tough economic times. I'm just glad I'm not a hunter or fisherman LOL. You can spend thousands a year on a hunting club alone not to mention guns, 4 wheelers, and what not. You won't find a nice bass boat for under 15,000 and thats a cheapie aluminum boat.
Dream big and spend wisely folks, but most of all, have fun!

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
Being lder than I like to think about, I remember buying the original Star Trek kits for $2.50 at a local toy store- and I had to save my allowance for a while to afford that. Everything costs a lot more now and I have gotten used to it. WHile model kits do cost a lot, they are priced in line with other things in stores.
I all honesty, complaining about the cost of kits while buying two of them sounds a bit weird. There are a lot of kits I would like to have, and do plan to eventually get, but I am holding off until I can properly afford them. I have yet to buy any of the new issue Seaviews- they are great kits but it is hard to justify with unbuilt kits waiting and little time to spend on anything other than essentials these days.
MOdel building is a hobby- something to relax and enjoy. Of course I would love to have models available for a fraction of the current cost but that is not practical. It costs some many dollars to design, master, produce and ship a certain prodct. Every one of those costs is determined by real world prices. Sure there is a profit margin built in, that is how the company survives and produces additional kits. They do not sit in a room waving their hands in the air and choose a price that the market will bear, they try to keep the costs low as possible so more kits are sold. How many times have you heard about a desired feature in a kit which was not included because it would drive the prie higher? The Ploar Lights 1/350 Enterprise was intended to have photo-etch details- that was dropped since the price was too high as it was. You can still get the origianl set that was designed for the ship, from the person who mastered the kit, but that is an aftermarket item now.
I am OK with the current market- I cannot buy everything I want, but I enjoy it even more when I can eventually get it.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
might just me being sensitive or something but there have been some rather un-kind comments about this. May I suggest that we take it easy on the OP, please?

you know, he might have meant it tongue-in-cheek or was just ill-informed as to the ins and outs of overhead and the economy.

thanks for listening and I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
might just me being sensitive or something but there have been some rather un-kind comments about this. May I suggest that we take it easy on the OP, please?

you know, he might have meant it tongue-in-cheek or was just ill-informed as to the ins and outs of overhead and the economy.

I've reread the entire thread, I think any opposing opinion has been presented respectfully enough.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
It's all economics. Mine and the kit company.

I have a backlog of kits so I don't NEED to buy any new kits.

When I do buy a kit I have to justify shelling out my hard earned money, that is why I don't and won't buy any of the new Moebius IA kits. They just cost WAY too much and are way too big to display. Don't get me wrong they are great kits, they just don't fill a need for me. For me $50 is a break point, anything over that gets very careful consideration.

I do have many of the Moebius vehicles that are priced under $50 and have been very satisfied with them.

On another economic note, I have the small Moebius flying sub set. I spent $15 on it, then I spent another $15 on supplies to build/finish it!

One final note, what is a better value. The $15 small flying sub or the $19 for Spock/snakes?

·
Registered
360 Posts
If the model companies did what GS suggested there would be no more model companies.
This stuff costs money and it costs a lot of it. Taking molds and putting them back into production isn't that easy. The molds have a production life, after their runs they suffer wear and tear. Before you can put the molds back into service, they have to be inspected and refurbished. That can get very expensive. That's only one aspect. There is a lot more that has to go into repoping an old kit.

Most of the time these companies have to take out loans to make these kits.
Depending on the terms they will be in the red for a while.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

actually, when i wrote my response i pulled my punches just so nothing i wrote would be taken personally.
i dont think anyone has gotten personal, or made any comments about the OP himself, just his statements. that's perfectly fine, because even the best, wisest, and most informed of us will on occasion say something that doesnt reflect those attributes.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
While I can appreciate the sentiment of lower pricing during hard times, the reality is that the companies can't do that and still stay in business. It is a hard time for everyone, no doubt about it. I remember when 1/25 car models were $1.25 and similar pricing for other kits. But we also had a lot less money available as well.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I agree with all your points-its not up to the modeling companies, its up to modelers to be responsible for their own finances. Just looking at the new Jupiter 2 kit coming, or the large 39" Seaview, geez, that kind of quality costs a lot to get right. Its not a guy sitting at a desk making a new kit effortlessly every day, its a group doing research and development and refinements to get the product right. I have been thankful to be employed steadily thru this bad economy but even I have to be careful not to over due it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well...

all of the reasons stated for the high cost of kits make perfect sense. I think it's likely a combination of everything with certain aspects, like the fact that plastic model making of any genre has become a niche market being in the forefront.

The bottom line is it doesn't matter if you don't have the money...and I don't. I still come here everyday and read the threads because the information and skills and fellowship is that good but I'm nowhere near as involved as I was or would like to be.

Without affixing any blame, I have to marvel at the irony that companies like Moebius, Round 2 and Monarch are finally producing the kits I've always wanted in scales that impress and tantalize but they are difficult to obtain, only run in very limited quantities and are cost prohibitive. Whether anyone means it to be, it's kind of a smack in the face. It's easy to disagree with all of this if you have enough resources where it isn't a concern but again, it just doesn't matter if you don't have the root...and I don't.

When everyone was still building models and crude oil didn't go for collectors prices and America still had an economy it was easy and justifiable. It simply isn't anymore and I can't do it.

What can I say... It hurts.

Fiver

1 - 20 of 42 Posts