Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Skooter....Isn't there a Hobbyshop a mile or so down from the Racetrack ???
I think it's on Hwy 34 - 151, right hand side of the road, as your leaving Darlington, Headed toward's Hartsville.....It's been awhile since I've been over in that area,, So I might be wrong on that....The family and I use to go over to that Area( Florence- Darlington)a couple of time's a year Shopping and what not....But like I said, It's been awhile....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Racing

Well did alot of racing in my day , then came two shoulder operations & that ended my racing, sold all my stuff over 30 years ago i raced slot cars in long island n.y.--trinity ernie proveti,s team was my comp. Howie ursner was his team driver ,we went all over racing, then in ,79 moved to florida, got into 1/10 scale r.c. Racing raced for 20 years before my opeations -i was good raced all over was a good contender in the annual "snowbird races" who mike boylan is a good friend of mine -had nothing to do so i got into building "models" thats where i am now ,at this time of my life it,s good -it keeps me busy only when i want too, in r.c.racing i always had to get ready for weekend ,raced on concrete, ashault, & indoor carpet -well thats my story---dom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey Moe,

Yes sir, you're absolutely correct.

BANDITS HOBBIES is the place you're talking about.....

I've gone by there SEVERAL times and have tried to get him to build a MCR track, hell I even offered to pay half, and for some crazy reason, he wants nothing to do with it. He has a really nice RC track and sells an awful lotta RC stuff.

But like I told him....Dude, you got the PERFECT place for a MCR track!!!!....He could easily have BOTH.....Like i TOLD HIM.....hE COULD SELL ALL THE 1/24 SCALE nascar KITS......the chassis.....the paint.....the decals....the wheels and tires and axles.......

The dumb ass could do really well......

But right now.....we got 4 or 5 guys who want to go in and build a track.....we just don't have a good place to put it......We hope to go up with a 200 ft long and 24 inch with "Daytona".......which would make it the biggest and the baddest MCR track in history.

And also, the guy up there said that "he couldn't come to Darlington"....

Well dude.....ain'cha heard notthin I've said?????

Thie can be YOUR baby.

YOU can build it.

YOU can do it in YOUR hometown!!!!

Hey Moe,

You and your buddies wanna come check us out?

I'll meet you have way if you want and let you have a couple of these MRC cars. You can take them home with you and you and your buddies can build race cars of your own. When yall come to Darlington to race, just give me my cars back and we'll have a ton o fun!!!!

PS to all......I WAS GONNA put 5this big track up at my house.....

but........my........said no.......HELL NO!!!!

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Yes, Scooter, I've heard everything you've said on the subject. I've followed this thread from your first post. I AM interested in the game, but MONEY is a big obstacle. We can't come to Darlington (although we were there for the race in 2005; the first night race) due to our financial problems - pretty much like the rest of the country. For tht same reason, I can't afford to build a track. Heck, my yard isn't 150' across so I don't have a place to put it anyhow. I don't know of anyone else in my area that would be interested in it, so I'd be going it alone. The one guy I knew at work that built car models retired three years ago and moved south - way south, past you! I know several other guys within 100 miles of me who build car models, but finding a centralized place to put up a track, especially since none of us have even tried out the 'sport' yet so we don't even have cars to put on the track if and when it ever gets built, would be difficult. You've been doing it for 40 years; for you, it's already firmly established. We would be starting out from scratch.

There's basically no possible way it could be "My Baby", as you put it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I had never heard of model car racing until I saw this thread and it does sound fun and interesting. My nephew is into rc cars and next time I go out to see him I'm gonna ask if any one he competes with knows any thing about mcr racing.
Scooter, is the owner of the hobby shop willing to let you guys use the rc track??? If so............
Also is mcr just for 1/24-1/25 scale cars or can folks use say 1/16 scale cars or even 1/20 scale????

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's just it.....

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY...........

I've never raced slot cars, but I know they are about the MONEY.

I've never raced RC cars, but I know it's all about the MONEY.

I did race Go Karts for about 4 years and Lord Jesus help me.....if I could just get back HALF of the THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS that I spent....

Listen Guys, please listen and tell you friends.....

WHY???

Why is MCR so special????

Because it is by far, the CHEAPEST form of racing of our time.

I am prolly as poor as anyoone in here and have as little of "extra money" as anyone in here, but guys.....you can take about $25 bucks and go racing.

Fact is....there is FINALLY a form of racing that is NOT about who spends trhe most money. Just like I told you guys, about the Mechanical Engineer who build a couple MCR cars......he prolly made 100K a year.....he lived in a house about the size of a castle.....ghe came out and guess what?????

He ran in the BACK all day long. He got mad cause my little cousin laughed at him....he left and never came back.

Now howabout someone tell me how to post pix in here and I will show you guys a some of our race cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
MCR is NOT about the money.

Money has NOTHING to do with who runs well.

You might be a millionaire......it's not gonna help you at the MCR track.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You know, I'm sure your heart is in the right place and all, but I am not interested. You can't just come in here (having never once posted a comment in any thread at all except this one) and expect everyone to get all jumped up excited. Sure you may have peaked someone's curiosity, but geez, man. You sound like a broken record. Sorry if I piss you off, but we've heard what you've said.

I, for one, am not interested in putting in my time, effort, and (yes) money into a new hobby if there's not already someone doing it nearby. My time is worth more to me than that, and if it's not already going here, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince anyone else to do it. Especially when the person trying to convince me to do so has never ever posted anything in this forum, except his own attempts to get me to try something new.

Sorry for the rant and sorry if I made anyone feel bad. I'm just getting tired of this.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
MCR is NOT about the money.

Money has NOTHING to do with who runs well.

You might be a millionaire......it's not gonna help you at the MCR track.
I don't recall anyone here saying it's all about the money. I'm sorry but like Scottnkat has stated you are starting to sound like a broken record.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well Scott (and friend)....

It's kinda funny that you keep clicking on my thread about MODEL CAR RACING......if you are "not interested"

Ok, just one last thing and I am done:

I just think it's a shame that alot of modelers out there build many beautiful 1/24 scale NASCAR kits, for years and years, and they just sit them on the shelf and look at how pretty they are.

Well don't you ever wanna do just a little bit more.....

We do.....here in Darlington, SC......WE RACE THEM!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Skooter, OK, interesting topic. Plastic model kit bodies are decorated and mounted on custom chassis with free rolling axles and rubber tires.
They are placed on a long track, 24 inches wide in a fashion similar to Pine car
racing. The placement are rows of 2 for as many as 12 cars & released. :)
IMHO, the most hindering obstacle would be a track of 150 ft long. :confused:
Keep in mind, Model Car Racing is a vast hobby with many paths of choice
and each facet is in the eye of the beholder. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
:wave: We race at all kinds of racetracks in Reading,A. Long outside alleys, short alleys, alleys with turns in them & the Ivy's club indoors. As a kid it kept me off the streets. You can check out some of the action at
Model Racing at the Fairgrounds Square Mall
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
A quick web search showed exactly what Tom is talking about. His group runs Dirt Modified-style cars instead of NASCAR stockers, but it looks like it's pretty much the same ting otherwise. Here's a YouTube video of an event they had earlier this year:
I'm going to want to look into this, since Reading, PA is only about 40 miles from me (MUCH closer than Darlington, SC!). I just have to find out if they allow full-bodied models, since I've nevr built a Dirt Modified!

(Skooter: Do you have any video of your events? I know I'd be interested in seeing it.)

(Tom: Can you shoot me some more information?)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Well Scott (and friend)....

It's kinda funny that you keep clicking on my thread about MODEL CAR RACING......if you are "not interested"

Ok, just one last thing and I am done:

I just think it's a shame that alot of modelers out there build many beautiful 1/24 scale NASCAR kits, for years and years, and they just sit them on the shelf and look at how pretty they are.

Well don't you ever wanna do just a little bit more.....

We do.....here in Darlington, SC......WE RACE THEM!
You expect us to look at it from your point of view but at the same time you seem unable to look at it from some one eles point of view and in my opinoi that is not fair.
So do you have the open mind to look at how the rest of us may feel on the subject of model car racing, and are you willing to cowboy up????

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
So what do we got in here????

And that something is more fun that all the others COMBINED......

MCR....Model Car Racing

You build the body....You paint it......

You design the chassis.....You Build it.

You build the car....You RACE it
That sounds just like a slot car. Which by the way have been around a LOT longer (1930's?), are more realistic, requires building skills PLUS hand/eye coordination, races are run in everylane, there is now digital racing that allows lane changinging (more eye/hand coordination).

Maybe if you didn't put down other forms of racing you might get a better reception.

MOO

Marty
Marysville, OH

21 - 35 of 35 Posts