Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I say this is because of Round 2 I have been building more model kits recently than I have in some time. A while back I made mention that the Enterprise was now being molded in blue and someone said whats the difference what color its molded in if your going to paint it over. The difference is first off I like the Blue Color and I don't want to have to paint over the model if I don't want too. It looks great just built from the tin with a little painting and decals applied and to me thats fun. Some models like Mr Spock need to be painted but that shouldn't be with every model. I don't need to build a Museum Quality model every time. That's o.k. from time to time but I like putting some kits together as I did when I was a kid with a careful build job some minimal painting and applying some decals and it looks great.Now to me thats fun. Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I don't need to build a Museum Quality model every time.
Or, in my case, even once! :)

But, seriously, I agree. I have a very high stress job and building models is something I got into again just over a year ago when my daughter got married and I suddenly had a room in the house I can use for hobbies and such. I am in management and doing actual "hands on" work when I get home is a great stress reliever and diversion. (Not that there aren't some models out there that don't cause stress in and of themselves--but that's a different topic!) I build them to the best of my ability--or my inclination at the time--and move on. It took me 6 months to build my 1:350 refit (with lights). During that time I took breaks from that build to construct a 1:1000 TOS E, the Interplanetary UFO, and a Mr. Spock kit. The latter 3 were quick speed builds for the most part (did Mr. Spock in a week, despite all that painting).

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Did my Mr. Spock in 1 night...one very long night....

I'm glad all these Trek kits are coming out again. I'm just hoping to see more "Great Timing" on kit releases like these. (JJ's Trek film, say what you will, plus the Remastered TOS series, say what you will, and the AMT/PL kits are all good timing for one another.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well I'd never build a model without at least a basecoat. My skills have al least progessed that far. Bare plastic with just decals just looks too kiddish to me. I strive to prefect my skills, not settle. Do I make modeling mistakes, sure, plenty, but I learn from them. That is what makes it fun.

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
I understand what Guy's saying. I like a polished/detailed model as much as anybody else, but sometimes when I'm elbow-deep in puttying and sanding I remember my "kid-built" days when I'd slap 'em together with as little fuss as possible, and it seems like it was more fun when I wasn't so concerned with hiding seams, getting the colors exactly right, etc., etc..

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
it's been such a long time since I got so wrapped up in doing a kit, I couldn't put it down at night and couldn't wait to pick it back up in the morning or after work. That, to me, is fun.

anyone else experience that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts