Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into Mod Brushless, going to be running on a 290' asphaut, and a 400' asphalt

Any ideas on gearing and motors?

also any other need to know brushless stuff?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
290ft.-28\120 2.23 tire
400ft.-32\120 2.23 tire
good starting point
you can figure rollout with caps with that info

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
how about gearing a 3.5 on a birds carpet track?

185 feet of carpet
novak 3.5 motor

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
So if the track was say around 150 to 160 would you guys still use a 3.5 and adjust the roll out, or would you use a 4.5 or smaller motor? Or would it depend on bite?

Thanks
Joel White

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Mike sounds like a good time. Wish I could make it. Maybe I can hit one later in the year.

BTW: Let me be the first to vote to kill 6 cell mod at the birds and replace it with an open 4cell brushless class. They would be as fast or faster and I think the class count would be higher.

J-Dub this past season we ran the 3.5 on tracks as short as 130 feet. It’s a handful but if you can hook it up it is a little faster.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sonny I vote ...For a Lipo 4300 class instead of 6 cell NIMH Mod ...

Sonny B said:
Mike sounds like a good time. Wish I could make it. Maybe I can hit one later in the year.

BTW: Let me be the first to vote to kill 6 cell mod at the birds and replace it with an open 4cell brushless class. They would be as fast or faster and I think the class count would be higher.

J-Dub this past season we ran the 3.5 on tracks as short as 130 feet. It’s a handful but if you can hook it up it is a little faster.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Lipos are catching our eye's down here...
Fast guys can run 1 car with 4300 just change the battery between 4cell and Lipo...

And leaning towards brushed and brushless for 4cell. We are mixing them at our carpet race in a few weeks. I have a 3.5 :freak: can't wait to try!! :)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I guess this should be on a different thread, but this would be my suggestion for Oval and Da Birds.
4 cell spec truck
4 cell stock
4 cell 13.5
4 cell 19 turn (all 1 class now)
4 cell 4300
4 cell open mod (you can use anything you want. Brushless, or Brushed) Make it a true "open" class. Of course battery and electronics rules would apply. Has to be something that can be purchased over the counter and all.

P.S. Thanks for the help on the Brushless question above. I guess I will have to get a 3.5 and just hang on. I have run 6 cell mod before, so I guess I can figure it out....I hope.

Joel White

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Sonny B, we a starting a 4 cell pan mod class with the 3.5 at Pete Russell's in Elkhart. We are running a 2.15 to 2.25 rollout with the 5800. We ran the 5.5 with a 1.40 rollout. Any hints for starting points. We are using nascar style bodies no wedgies. Low 1.00 to 1.10???

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
KenBajdek said:
Sonny B, we a starting a 4 cell pan mod class with the 3.5 at Pete Russell's in Elkhart. We are running a 2.15 to 2.25 rollout with the 5800. We ran the 5.5 with a 1.40 rollout. Any hints for starting points. We are using nascar style bodies no wedgies. Low 1.00 to 1.10???
Hi Ken

Sound like fun...I'll try to make it up again sometime this winter. If the track is the same size as last year you're pretty close on the gear. I would start at about a 1.00.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
Looking forward to this winter with the new racing surface. The size is the same but w/o the bumps and dips. I liked the 5.5 with the extra rip and can't wait to try the 3.5.
If you can get out this summer we are racing on every other Sunday. Our next date is July 22. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you're a Horsepower junkie than no

I run 6-cell Dirt Oval and the 3.5 is a hoot to drive. It is my first and for now only brushless motor. The only learning curve for me was setting the right amount of drag brake. Brushless is way different than brushed in that aspect.

I figured go with the fastest motor and limit it with my throttle finger. If that didn't work I would change parameters in the radio.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Porksalot4L said:
2 questions. is the 3.5 to fast for most tracks? and also will there be a 2.5 or somthing coming along? thanks
Last season I raced on carpet tracks with run linnes form about 125' up to about 185' and the 3.5 seemed to be the best choice. Some tried 4.5's on the smaller stuff but were a little under-powered.

The 3.5 has a ton of bottom end so I would suggest adding about 30 points of negative throttle expo.

I've not heard of anything regarding a 2.5. If they did make one I'm not even sure if we could hook it up, but it would be fun to try.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
We are only running 4 cell with pan cars. 5.5 with 4 cells isn't impressive vs 5800. We tried 4.5 with 6 cells in the sprint cars and couldn't make run time.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Most of the Dirt track over here are loose packed (buggy tires). With a 6cell sprint car a 6.5 is about as much as you can put down. The cool thing is you can run a 5800 and be just as fast.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm running on high bite clay with Custom Works street tread tires. With the 3.5 and 3800's I am coming off the track with 120 seconds left at 30 amps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts