Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I too would like to see builders of the small Discovery post a few images.
Moebius models are reasonably rare down-under here in New Zealand. I am not sure why the importer doesn't import more of them and with COVID that will certainly not change anytime soon.
So, I would have to ship one in from the US so I want to know it it is worth it for me. International postage is a right pain.(In the wallet, that is.)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Looking at those pictures on Hobbysearch I was amazed how much detail they retained on the small model, only the antenna dishes and pod bay doors stood out as being different from the 1:144 model.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the links to the images. Much appreciated.
I think that I will take the plunge and order one. I was given an Amazon voucher for christmas so I don't want that burning a hole in my wallet.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I tried to get hold of this before Xmas but got outbid and couldn't find another one so I ended up buying the 1/144 kit instead. I think I'm glad I did go for the larger kit now though. The detail on the smaller kit looks nice but it just doesn't have the presence of the larger kit.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,311 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Outbid?? You can buy it at online hobby shops.
I could but those are in the US and I'd probably have to pay a nice big import tax of about £50. There's probably online shops in the UK where I could get it but I had the larger kit quite a bit cheaper because I put a bid in on Ebay. The cheapest buyitnow I could see was around £190 but because I outbid 2 others I had it for £152.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there a detail kit or set of decals for the pod bay and the flight deck (bridge?) I've seen some gorgeous detail sets and decals for the big 1/144 scale model, but not any for the small 1/350 scale model.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My Discovery arrived on my doorstep yesterday. Yippee!
A great use of my Christmas Amazon voucher! (Even though Amazon now charges local New Zealand Tax on purchases. 15% GST - Goods and Services Tax, better known as Grab, Snatch and Take. Low cost items used to come ito the country tax free as it cost too much for Customs to recover the tax money. I am sure that you all wanted to know this!)
But, it looks great and I will try not to go mad building up all the little cargo modules. (At least no more madder than I am already. :confused:)

I am glad I opted for this small model as I am almost finished my large Moebius Seaview sub and I still don't know where I am going to put it as its soooo big.

I think that I will need to build some sort of space diorama for the Discovery as I don't particularly like those three display stands.
Maybe a field of fibre optic stars, and an image of Jupiter, with a monolith in the foreground. Hmmm!!

So come on folks and post some build stories. Especially all the hints and tips and any traps that you find.
I always want to learn from other peoples mistakes. After all, it is all about me.

Reactions: StarshipClass

·
Administrator
33,840 Posts
I wouldnt dream of it, you go ahead and go first! 🙃

Can you still get a Noble for finding the Center of the Universe?

Reactions: StarshipClass
21 - 40 of 41 Posts