Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very surprised that no one has posted about this neat little kit yet! I got mine from Cult a couple of days ago and it's got over 200 pieces for a model that is only about 17-inches long! I have the larger Discovery as well, but haven't had time to build it yet. It would be very interesting (to me, a least!) to see a comparison of this new kit with the Round 2 1/350 Original Series Enterprise. A storyline where the two ships coul dmeet is a fun notion.

So, how about it? Anyone building this currently?

Larry

Larry
1-350 Discovery Parts.jpg
Discovery Box Compare.jpg
Discovery Box Compare.jpg

·
Starship Class
12,045 Posts
So far have resisted this one. The bigger one is just too big but this one looks to be just right.

If you don't mind my asking:

What is your impression of the kit particulars?

How big is the command module?

Does it seem amenable to lighting?

·
Starship Class
12,045 Posts
Picked this one up at a hobby shop this past weekend and the very same shop had the larger one last time I was there but it wasn't there this time around. Already lost a couple of cargo module pieces, just need to find them.
But would they really be missed? ;):D

·
Oxidation Genius
31,311 Posts
I think I'm gonna start this little sucker next. trying to see if it can be spray painted after complete assembly, or if I'm going to have to paint all those damn little modules separately and scrape a lot of glue points bare.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Command Module looks to be pretty small. (I'm guessing about 2 inches across.) I haven't taken any parts out of the bags yet, becasue I'm trying to finish all of the projects in my craft room before starting a new kit. I took it and the larger kit back downstairs to my stash in the basement until I can get to it. I'm going to assemble it first, then spray it one general color. I can then go back and pick out any details with bush-on paints as needed. As far as lights go, I'd recommend there be two separate sets - one set in the Command Module and the other in the Propulsion Module. It will be VERY difficult to run wires thru the spine, especially with the wire reinforcer installed.

I was just blown away that Mobius came out with a new kit and there was absolutely no mention of it on HobbyTalk! I've been here a long time, and it used to be that if Mobius sneezed there'd be a weeks-long discussion about it.

Larry

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Good lighting ideas LGFugate.

It was mentioned here, but I think got lost in the chatter about the aries1b and astronaut kits.

I've only seen, I think 2 builds here of the big XD-1. I might have to start the big one soon.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Paint it with a under coat of flat black then a top coat of flat white to bring out the details better. I too am going to wait until it all get glued together with 1 exception, the 350 does have a clear piece for the windshield.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious about the Aries 1b and the Astronaut kits... Wasn't the Astronaut supposed to out by now? I know Aries 1b is next year, but I thought for sure the Astronaut was due by now. I want two - one to put in the Pod, and one to put in the arms of the pod as it was when Poole tried to bring the dead Bowman back to the discovery afer HAL killed him.

Larry

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Isn't the Aries 1B the sphere type small craft that is kept behind those 3 hatches on the bow of the discovery?? If so it's already out, saw one at the past weekend at the local Hobbytown for about 185.00.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,311 Posts
Isn't the Aries 1B the sphere type small craft that is kept behind those 3 hatches on the bow of the discovery?? If so it's already out, saw one at the past weekend at the local Hobbytown for about 185.00.
No, the Aries 1B is the spherical transport "liner" that brought Floyd from the space station to the moon. The spherical space pods in the Discovery space pod bay are just called space pods. What you saw is the large space pod kit that came out recently. Did I mention space pods? :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
No, the Aries 1B is the spherical transport "liner" that brought Floyd from the space station to the moon. The spherical space pods in the Discovery space pod bay are just called space pods. What you saw is the large space pod kit that came out recently. Did I mention space pods? :)
forgot about that.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked Cybermodeler Online (https://www.cybermodeler.com/special/kits/kit_space_manuf.shtml) and they say the Astronaut is coming 1st quarter 2021 and so is the Aries 1b. On the same note, they show the Moebius Batgirl kit is due 2nd quarter 2021 and the TV Wonder Woman kit is 1st quarter 2021. It was last updated on 11/2/2020, so I guess that is the latest word on the subject(s).

Larry

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess in this case, the windshield keeps the wind (air) in instead of keeping the wind(air) out...:)

Larry

·
Administrator
33,835 Posts
I guess in this case, the windshield keeps the wind (air) in instead of keeping the wind(air) out...:)

Larry
Yeah, the emphasis would be more on the shield than the wind!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts