Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently received several copies of the latest/greatest 1/2500 scale kits from Millenia Models International in The Sacred Scale. John Fleming had asked over at Starship Modelers Star Trek Forum if anyone was interested in helping him out with doing some buildups for WonderFest. The deal was that whoever volunteered would get two of each kit and had to do buildups of one each to loan to Tracy of Federation Models for his display table at WonderFest '07. I'm not the only one who volunteered to help John out and we get to keep both sets of kits, but won't say who the other person is just in case he wishes to keep a low profile.

All of these kits are cast in resin and none of the copies I've received so far have decals. I know that they're in-works and hope to receive them well in advance of WonderFest. The castings are all uniformly well-done, tho all of them I've perused thus far have a few small issues in different areas. It's mostly been surface voids, but nothing calling for any rebuilding of the parts. Just minor rebuild up of surface in one or two spots per part. About half of these are conversions while the rest are complete kits.

Anyhow, the kits involved are:

Ambassador-class Variants. These are all designed to use the 1/2500 scale E-C kit from the 2nd Three-Enterprise Set. I really like them all, but have an issue with all three of the Orion-class ships - none of them show an impulse engine. Otherwise, all nicely executed! I guess I'll have to see what I can scratchbuild in the way of impulse engines. Anyhow, the models:
  • Alternate Ambassador-class pylons - upswept to be more like on the Refit so that the nacelles set a bit higher and just slightly apart. I really like the way the Ambassador looks with these pylons. One piece "drop" part - no cutting of the original kit or any parts required.

Orion-class Type I - a Nebula-type ship with what I'm assuming is meant to be more of a sensor pod like the Phoenix than a full weapons pod like the Sutherland. I really like these Nebula-type variants. This particular kit is a 5-piece kit.

Orion-class Type II - same as above, but with a smooth "back". No pod or attachment point. This is a 4-piece kit.

Orion-class, Type VI - same as the Type I, but with a third nacelle instead of pod. This is a 5-piece kit.

Thoth-class destroyer/scout - single nacelle that's half-again as long as a standard Ambassador-class nacelle. This is a 2-piece kit.
The Reflex-class starship. This one was mastered by our very own ****/RogueWolf. I'm not real sure how much I like this one and it's sort of hard to describe. Pics will have to do once I've got them taken. I like the detail on it, regardless of how I actually like it, overall. A 1-piece kit.

The Cyclone-class thru-deck cruiser. Another from RogueWolf. This one uses what appears to be an E-E hull that's likely from the Furuta Candy Toy, scratchbuilt pylons and modified ERTL E-B nacelles. Nice little kit that I place in the Late Movie/Lost Era timeframe. This is a 3-piece kit.

Sovereign-class dreadnought. Pretty simple and straightforward. It requires an ERTL 1/2500 scale E-E kit that you simply glue a pylon and third nacelle. A 2-piece kit.

And I saved what I consider to be the best for last! The 1/2500 scale Deep Space Station K-7 (TOS' "The Trouble With Tribbles") - 15-piece kit that accurately portrays the station as she should be instead of like the inaccurate version we got from AMT back in the Late 1960's. John chose to give his version two open shuttlebays, which looks good. The only thing missing from this kit - besides decals - is the mast w/ball for the top of the model. I've already built up one of my two copies and primered it to highly any problem areas that I might have missed in my initial puttying and sanding.

And that's it. Pics to follow, eventually. I'm on Weekend Duty right now and have no clue when I'll be getting back home. I've been cleaning and assembling these, tho, and have already finished up an Alternate Pylons Ambassador, K-7, Reflex, Thoth and Orion Type I.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Look forward to seeing them at 'fest, Jeff!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lloyd Collins said:
1/2500 K-7?
WOW!!
Oh, yeah. And it looks every bit as good as Four Mad Men's CGI model, as well as a bit better than the MiniModelMadness 1/1000 kit.

Got to see this one. Jeffrey, you are such a tease.
I'm still deciding on a color for the station. Should I go with a flat white, do you think? Or use the same Light Ghost Gray I've used on my TOS StarFleet ships?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PhilipMarlowe said:
Look forward to seeing them at 'fest, Jeff!
I'm only doin' half of the new MMI offerings. The other guy is doing all the Ambassador variants. Specifically, I'm doing the:

Reflex, Cyclone, Sovereign-class dreadnought and K-7 space station

I'm thinking of entering the others that I get done prior to WF in to the Contest as Display Only, tho. Or at least some of the others. I'm really looking forward to the K-7, tho!

Chuck_P.R. said:
The weekend has been over for over four hours now... :confused:

Where are the pictures? :tongue:
Heh, yer a real commode-ian. ;)

Sorry. Life got in the way yesterday, unfortunately. I hope to have pics of at least the five I mention above (Alternate Pylons Ambassador, K-7, Reflex, Thoth and Orion Type I) and have them assembled to at least sub-assemblies tonight. The K-7 and alternate pylons Ambassador are already completely assembled and primed.

I start Swings again on Wednesday, so should be able to complete my share of the WonderFest buildup well in advance of WonderFest. I love my family, but it's hard to do much modeling when you get stopped every 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for that advice, Lloyd. I was leanin' towards LGG anyhow as I figure StarFleet would go for uniformity where ever feasible. I think I'll go ahead and follow thru with it.

And to prove that I'm not a complete tease:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Wow! That's gorgeous!

If that is 1/2500th scale, I wonder when they'll be producing a 350th scale version...

and if UPS would deliver it or if it would have to be sent via freight delivery! :eek:

So the cones are not transparent?

If you get a chance, could you give us some measurements of the different modules and overall span? No rush on that though. I think we're all dying to see more pictures when you get a chance to do them.

Fantastic kit! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
Wow! That's gorgeous!
Thank you. I took a lot of time to try and get it right. And then it sat in a box for two years, and then...

If that is 1/2500th scale, I wonder when they'll be producing a 350th scale version...
Well, first we need a good TOS E... But it's doable. Now, who could afford it?? That's another question. :)

and if UPS would deliver it or if it would have to be sent via freight delivery! :eek:
Pick up only. ;)

So the cones are not transparent?
No. I thought about that. But clear casting is a pain, and I would have to raise the price a bit (50%). And since it is solid cast, lighting was not considered anyway. So, why have clear domes??

If you get a chance, could you give us some measurements of the different modules and overall span?
Over all radius = 7.85"
Over all Height = 4.13"
Main Hub Radius = 2.81"
Mini Hub Radius = 1.41"

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nova Designs said:
Holy Carp I want one!!!
You pray to a fish??

MSRP $50.00 USD. That includes decals to make any K Class Station, not JUST K7. Although the decals are still be designed and such. I haven't written the instructions. And I have no box art yet... But the molds are done and I can cast!!! :D

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Johnnycrash said:
Thank you. I took a lot of time to try and get it right. And then it sat in a box for two years, and then...

Well, first we need a good TOS E... But it's doable. Now, who could afford it?? That's another question. :)

Pick up only. ;)

No. I thought about that. But clear casting is a pain, and I would have to raise the price a bit (50%). And since it is solid cast, lighting was not considered anyway. So, why have clear domes??

Over all radius = 7.85"
Over all Height = 4.13"
Main Hub Radius = 2.81"
Mini Hub Radius = 1.41"

Hope that helps.
Thanks! It does.

I was confused. When Griff said it was an Ertl Enterprise he meant one of the 1/2500th scale Enterprises from the Enterprise Encounter/Klingon dio kit.

I was thinking 18" Ertl.

So you can imagine how big I thought the kit was.

My mistake.

That's what I get from ass-uming. :)

Again, beautiful kit!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuck_P.R. said:
Thanks! It does.

I was confused. When Griff said it was an Ertl Enterprise he meant one of the 1/2500th scale Enterprises from the Enterprise Encounter/Klingon dio kit.
Actually, while it is indeed 1/2500 scale, it's not from the Enterprise Encounter set, which is actually 1/2200 scale. That kit is roughly 1/3" longer than the 1/2500 TOS 1701.
I was thinking 18" Ertl.

So you can imagine how big I thought the kit was.
Man, I know a LOT of folks who'd buy a kit to scale w/the 18" TOS 1701.
My mistake.

That's what I get from ass-uming. :)
And there ya have it!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D
Again, beautiful kit!
And it is indeed! I hope the decals are ready in time for WonderFest!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Unfortunately, there aren't any mass produced TOS or even Movie Era shuttlecraft out there. At least, none that I'm aware of. I was thinking about trying that myself, tho. Gonna be a real pain in the posterior to do them justice, methinks. Still, would look awesome in those hangar bays!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Johnnycrash said:
You pray to a fish??
Not that there's anything wrong with that.... :D
MSRP $50.00 USD. That includes decals to make any K Class Station, not JUST K7. Although the decals are still be designed and such. I haven't written the instructions. And I have no box art yet... But the molds are done and I can cast!!! :D
John,

Who's making the decals? Will they include any for the hangar bay floor or are we on our own there? I'm just curious, more than anything. I was thinking of trying to build an interior - mostly just glue a few shaped styrene bits and maybe a shuttlecraft or two - but wasn't sure about the floor area.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Griffworks said:
Who's making the decals? Will they include any for the hangar bay floor or are we on our own there? I'm just curious, more than anything. I was thinking of trying to build an interior - mostly just glue a few shaped styrene bits and maybe a shuttlecraft or two - but wasn't sure about the floor area.
JBOT will be printing the decals. And no, there is nothing for the shuttle bay in any way. You never saw anything of them in the original show, so... This is up to the individual modeler to detail out as they wish. If you have thoughts and ideas, please let me know. I'll see if maybe they can be incorporated into future casting runs.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nothing immediate in the way of ideas, no. I was going to shoot for something similar to what Greg Jein built up for the "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode of DS9, tho we never see the hangar bay in that, either. Four Mad Men did a great job of recreating it in CGI a year or so back. I'll post a link to his thread - specifically the page w/his pics of the hangar bay area - once I find them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So?? What's going on?? More pic please!!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts