Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since floquil railroad color is no longer available I'm wondering about mixing them with other enamels.
In this case I have a bottle of Floquil's antique white that I'd like to lighten with white. If I cannot find a bottle of their white, will Testors enamel work. I suppose I could test this but was curious about anyone knowing about this issue.

Thanks in advance.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
AFAIK, the Floquil brand of hobby paints were lacquer based; Testors enamels are, well, enamel. They won't mix.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You can mix enamel with lacquer....

I would just try a drop of both together and see what happens.

I thin enamels with lacquer thinner all the time. It will also thin Tamiya and Gunze solvent based acrylic paints.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Lacquer thinner is one thing, mixing two different types of paint is another. You can give it a try, but make sure you test that it dries properly.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yes it works. At least with Floquil silver and Testors white. Took about 4 seconds to figure out with a paint brush and some aluminum foil to mix it on

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it works. At least with Floquil silver and Testors white. Took about 4 seconds to figure out with a paint brush and some aluminum foil to mix it on
Thanks!

I suppose I could have just checked it myself but this group has so much knowledge to tap into!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Floquil used to NOT mix with either Testors or Scalecoat oil based paints. I have used plain old lacquer thinner to thin Testors paints for decades. Works with Scalecoat too.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Floquil changed their formula a few times. In the past it was a lacquer and used their Dio-Sol stuff as a thinner. For the last few years, at least their military line of paints, was a regular enamel although they still sold Dio Sol (much the way Testors sells lacquer thinner in small jars).

·
Registered
36 Posts
"Enamel" refers to a hard finish, like the enamel of your teeth. There are oil enamels and acrylic enamels. Most people say "enamel" when they really mean oil-based paint. Any oil-based paint. But not all oil-based paints are enamels. For example, artist's oils are not.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well yeah but I was not being pedantic about it. We all know what hobby enamels are (ie testors enamels). When I say enamel I mean enamel hobby paint as we know it.

With Floquil being discontinued any real discussion about it is really pretty moot since its gone and not coming back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well yeah but I was not being pedantic about it. We all know what hobby enamels are (ie testors enamels). When I say enamel I mean enamel hobby paint as we know it.
I wasn't being pedantic either. A good understanding of paints is a big help in solving paint problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts