1 - 20 of 965 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carried over to "seed" the new thread:

SuperXRAY 05-03-2004 07:42 AM
New Track - Racing Starts May 16

We had our test event yesterday at Home Depot in Columbia, MO. Everything went pretty well...track got setup and the software works. Location is fantastic...concrete has no bumps and we have our choice of covered or uncovered racing. Hopefully this will be our only year of parking lot racing, then we can move to our desired location and have off-road and on-road racing.

Come out and visit us!

All you sedan people, we may be running mod and stock this year. Track is 48x96 and very fast.

Tom? John R.?​

tfrahm 05-03-2004 08:02 AM
Mitch -- Thanks for the update....

?Questions?...:

? Which layout did they decide on (#1, #2, #3, or ??)...?

? Any initial guess on tires? (About like HobbyTown's concrete or ??) (covered track area would really help simplify tire selection on those hot sunny days...?)​

SuperXRAY 05-03-2004 07:00 PM
Tom,

Tire selection will probably be equivelant, I don't know since I didn't get to run anything. We figured we could do the uncovered for a few times since the birds have really dumped on the covered area!​

tfrahm 05-03-2004 09:09 PM
Ah -- Bird "stuff" -- the ultimate traction challenge! Even tougher than the kitty litter at HobbyTown... :D

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, Gang...

A nice clean thread, ready for some hot racing action....

Post away...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sedan racing at Home Depot ... sounds great! I will try and be there on the 16th, but I'm still up to my arm pits in "honey do" stuff on the new house. Plus I just haven't been able to find my "round to it" for RC in many months. The bird doo dilemma is a new one, maybe we need an extra corner marshall for BB gun duty ... or is that BB gun doody? Could make for some interesting finishes ...

-John

·
Registered
116 Posts
doo on the track

Sounds like a great opportunity for the store to demo a power washer to scrub the track before the races. I used to do power tool demos at HD stores, and I have seen stores bring out power washers to do car wash demos all the time. Have to find out who the rep is...

·
Registered
22 Posts
* * * MMRCC RACE SCHEDULE CHANGE * * *

Looks like a slight chance of rain on Sunday. We didn't want to get rained out three weeks in a row and with Mother's Day falling on race day this Sunday we've decided to move up the race to Saturday, May 8th (instead of Sunday). Same daily schedule for registration, start time, etc... Please pass the word and hope to see you there.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't make it tonight, but I'm sort of assuming, based on all the other racing options starting up on Sundays that I may need to switch over to Wednesday nights for Hallsville soon... ??? Anyone else thinking that way ???

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm curious to see who all will be showing up to the Columbia Thunder races this summer. Let's see, sedan racers posting so far is Mitch, Tom, and John..... I really do miss the touring car racing and could definitely be swayed to buy an electric touring car if the interest level stays high.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Tom, you are right, it looks like Wednesday night will be the night. If Jeff City is racing on Saturday this week then Hallsville won't be open I am sure.

I am planning on being up there tonight with CCB1.

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marvin has a TC3 that he has talked about dusting off (he has problems posting here, so I'll check with him to see how serious he is..)....

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be doing "domestic service" this weekend anyway, since it's Mother's Day, etc...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'll be there tonight with the B4. I won't be spreading oil over the track this time since I finally rebuilt my leaky shock. What's the earliest someone will be there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am usualy a die hard and come up under most any cercumstance. But after driving up last week only to turn around a hour later leaves a bitter taste only because the gas prices are so fregin high. I don't mind driving up but i want to make sure someone will be there to race in advance. Sorry to be that way but I cant afford driving somewhere and doing nothing.

Second Does anyone know anything about these TC3, i am trying to get mine setup for racing at the Home Depot. I am still struggling to find a gearing that will work on it without getting the motor too hot. Right now I beleve i am running stock Spur with a 25 tooth pinion with a P2k2/Monster Stock Arm. It seems hot to me but at the same time i dont know because i have never raced one. Also is there a good setup for HD? Any help would be apriciated.

Thanks
David Johnson

·
Registered
716 Posts
Nick? I'll be racing electric and nitro (Nitro TC3). Don't need to get yourself all caught up in electric sedan. :)

As far as TC3 gearing, I ran up to a 27 on mine with a P2K. Seems like you'd be fine with 25....however, the track we have is rather large and fast for stock touring car. As far as the motor getting hot, I've never ran mine over 152F in a sedan...what's yours running?

I'd like a poll as to who would be willing to run mod sedan? I'm not up to switching out motors every race, so I'll go one way or the other!

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
David -- When I ran a TC3 with a P2K, I ran up to 30 t pinion with the original 72 spur... With a P2K2, I ran around a 28... For a "Monster" (if I understand correctly, you have a monster arm in a P2K2 can -- right?) -- I'd drop down to maybe a 25 like you ran...

Also remember -- in a race, you only run 5 min... If you're out playing around to test it out, you may run a much longer time if you run till you dump -- that really adds extra heat which can fool you...

OH -- I ran pretty low profile tires (2.37" ProLine H13's), so you might drop one more tooth for more normal profile sedan tires....

Another thing -- On a "flowing" onroad track, once you adapt to the sedan, you tend to really smooth out your driving, so it is actually much easier on the motor than testing in a driveway or running up and down the street (where you stop, turn around, take off again, etc..)... Remember -- Smooooooooth... 4wd on pavement can really sucker you into "ripping" on the throttle because of the traction, but that heats the motor and sucks the batteries... SMOOOOOOOOTH... Big sedan driving "secret": At just about every onroad track, including the HobbyTown parking lot races, the key to going fast was fighting your urge to go "fast" -- it seems like there are always 3-4 spots where you had to SLOW DOWN so you could stay SMOOTH -- at HobbyTown, this could pick up a full lap or so over a 5 min. race... (Don't tell anyone, OK?)

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mitch -- I'm an exception... With two XXX-S's I ?could? run both, although that could be a bit much to keep up with... What I'd probably try is start with stock at the first race or two to get back in "the groove", then try a mod in one chassis in practice and then decide... I might even stay with a 19t or something (but run "mod") as a transition... On the other hand -- a 12t P94... Hmmm.... LOL! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mitch, I was leaning more towards electric sedan since most people seem to prefer it over the nitro.... sure, nitro is better and all due to the extreme speeds with a two-speed transmission, but I don't want to run into the same situation I did last year where Eric and I were basically the only ones showing up to race nitro sedan. You know me, if I get one, I'll go all out and get some good gear and I don't want it to be a waste of money. With two full electric setups in my possession now it would be cheaper to grab an electric sedan as opposed to buying the nitro car, engine, pipe, fly through tires, and fly through fuel frequently driving two nitro cars. Electric sedan shows more promise for competition. I can't get as good as you guys running in a separate class now could I? :p Of course, all this talk means nothing unless I find myself a job here in MO somewhere. Hopefully I get a call here within the next couple of days from the company I interviewed with in St. Louis last week. Man, that would great. Race against the best off-roaders in the state every saturday at Dirt Burners, then come to Columbia and Jeff. City (alternating of course) to race every Sunday. What a great summer. Whoa, gotta stop there... I'm getting ahead of myself.

Tom, if Hallsville this winter has taught you anything, you would have realized that all that priceless information you passed onto david in your last post went in one ear and out the other. Slow down? Drive smooth? Are you forgetting who you are talking to?

Phil, if you still visit this forum from time to time, I have finished painting your bodies. If you are passing through Columbia tomorrow or Friday, give me a call at 424-0383 and we'll meet up. If not, I am heading to Jeff city on Saturday for racing and I'll bring them with me. Hopefully you are planning on going.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh BTW, after running mod buggy during the first week of racing in Jeff city, I don't ever want to put a stock motor back into my vehicles again. If there is a choice between stock and mod sedan... mod all the way. Can't wait for my Orion 10 double to come into HT this week!

1 - 20 of 965 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.