Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - another mini t question

I am having tremedous problems getting the shocks done right on the mini t (the oil filled team shocks)

can anyone explain the correct way to do this to me? I thought I followed the directions - but OMG I hate these things

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
t3rules said:
Ok - another mini t question

I am having tremedous problems getting the shocks done right on the mini t (the oil filled team shocks)

can anyone explain the correct way to do this to me? I thought I followed the directions - but OMG I hate these things
ROFL! the love of the oil shocks is passed on from generation, to generation.

The things leak, dont they? one way to stop them from leaking, and the way I stop them, is use a thread sealer by permatex. go to your AUTO PARTS store (pep boys, autozone, etc) and pick up the stuff.. it is in a white tube with the #14A. Its called Thread sealer with teflon.
You take the stuff and put it on the threads of the cap/plug. it wirks wonders!!

-Tone

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mine aren't leaking - the thread sealer is a good idea, but I need to know how to get them to rebound correctly

Its been 6 years since I was into RC, and back then I raced AE trucks and buggies........so the shock are different.

someone please help

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
t3rules said:
mine aren't leaking - the thread sealer is a good idea, but I need to know how to get them to rebound correctly

Its been 6 years since I was into RC, and back then I raced AE trucks and buggies........so the shock are different.

someone please help
ahhh, ok... i am sorry! i dont think i can help too much then. i think they did an article in RCCA in the latest issue on shocks....

-Tone

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
1) Fill the shockbody full.
2) Bleed all air out from shock body by moving the piston and shaft up and down.
3) Fill the shock cap about half full with desired shock oil.
4) Finally, Move shock piston all the way to the top of the body but not so far that its out of the oil you previously put in the body. The oil will be convexed or slightly bulging over the top (slightly). Quickly take the half full shock cap and thread it on the body trying to lose the least amount of oil from both the cap and the body.
5) Once everything is together the shock shaft when fully compressed should rebound to its fulliest extent very slowly. If it rapidly extends out it means that you have to much oil in the shock. Being that these are Losi shocks I am not sure on how full to fill the cap during assembly. On AE brand shocks you fill to where the threaded portion of the cap is.

Hope this helps you out,
Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok - these are losi mini shocks, so the threads are at the bottom instead of the top - it sounds like to me, you are talking about AE shocks. But I'll give that a try tonight and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Holding the shock upright, slowly fill the body with oil until it comes up the bottom of the threads in the body. Next screw the cartridge/shaft into the body until you it bottoms out. Unthread the cartridge a quarter of a turn and holding the shock at about a 45 degree angle. Slowly push the shaft all the way in until it bottoms out. While still holding the shaft in, tighten the cartridge finger tight. Wipe the shock of excess oil and finish tightening the cartridge by turning it another 1/8th of a turn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts