Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just cracked this kit open & starting on the launch rails & base. Has anyone else tackled this one? Any advice or pitfalls to watch out for? So far there's quite a bit of flash to remove, some good size plugs & a lot of mould lines to clean up, but I love the dry, smooth feel of the resin. I have already decided to reinforce with brass rod the launch rail supports to the base, since those pieces will hold up the entire rocket sled and ship. Well, back to reviewing the opening launch sequence for a couple of dozen more times (love that DVD backup button).
Thanks,
Mike

·
Oxidation Genius
31,369 Posts
I've had it on my to-do pile for about a decade.
I'm afriad of the major seams down the sides. I doubt the ship will turn out with a round cross-section when I'm done sanding them down.:lol:

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Actually the MIM Fireball is a piece of cake compared to the one offered by Comet. SHEESH! What a mess of pinholes and brittle resin. It still sits on my work bench waiting for me to finish the cockpit. Then I can finally paint it. My MIM Fireball had pretty decent seams except around the rear of the fuselage near the engine exhaust. Pretty sure I can clean that up without too much damage. The rocket sled does require quite a bit of clean up but again it seems to be a pretty straight forward build shouldn't be too much of a headache.

Though I've only dry fitted the MIM Fireball together it seems to fit pretty well. The large stabilizer fin on top will probably require some additional clean up to fit properly. The rest of the pieces seem to go together pretty well requiring minimal filling and sanding. I'll probably make some brass pins to hold the stabilizer and wing pods to their respective positions. Especially the wing pods that don't have a lot of gluing area and would be subject to a lot of stress unless the model is displayed on the rocket sled.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts