Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought us gas guys should have a place to gossip and tell lies.

I plan on racing at Toledo a lot and can't seem to find out much on their forum so maybe we could use this thread. The same for the DRCCC, and any other tracks.

So to start:

I keep looking at the tracks in Europe, why the heck can't we have a track like that around here in Southeast Michigan. I can't figure out where they get that kind of money. Wouldn't it be nice to have a permanent track we could use during the week, Wednesday night racing would be a blast!

Is it really going to rain and spoil our weekend again. I plan my weekend trips for work around our racing and it really ticks me off when we can't race.

Rich, What kind of car are you getting? Bobby is running Kyosho both 1/8 and 1/10. I am running Serpent in 1/8 and Associated in 1/10. Of course with JACO tires, SMC batteries and Putnam motors in our starter boxes.

Barry,
Sounds like you are racing gas this summer, that's good, I need more old guys to hang out with.

Ted

·
Michigan Mafia
7,482 Posts
Ted Flack said:
I thought us gas guys should have a place to gossip and tell lies.

I plan on racing at Toledo a lot and can't seem to find out much on their forum so maybe we could use this thread. The same for the DRCCC, and any other tracks.

So to start:

I keep looking at the tracks in Europe, why the heck can't we have a track like that around here in Southeast Michigan. I can't figure out where they get that kind of money. Wouldn't it be nice to have a permanent track we could use during the week, Wednesday night racing would be a blast!

Is it really going to rain and spoil our weekend again. I plan my weekend trips for work around our racing and it really ticks me off when we can't race.

Rich, What kind of car are you getting? Bobby is running Kyosho both 1/8 and 1/10. I am running Serpent in 1/8 and Associated in 1/10. Of course with JACO tires, SMC batteries and Putnam motors in our starter boxes.

Barry,
Sounds like you are racing gas this summer, that's good, I need more old guys to hang out with.

Ted
I wished I had the answers to those questions.
Maybe I should get an 1/8 scale and hang out with the old guys!!Lol.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Ted Flack said:
Yeah, Jeff and I want to open a European style track. But, the best location would be around the 14/I-96/I-275 area and land in that area is not very cheap.

So, I will be at Toledo the weekends I am not at the Lazer points races.

Rich, What kind of car are you getting?
I have a Kyosho FW-05r on the way. I was thinking of getting the MTX-3 since I've ran the MTX-2 the last 3 years, but I wanted to try something new. And, when I drove other folks' Kyosho cars last year I really liked the way they felt.

This is going to be an expensive summer for me with this new car. I have to get spare parts, a different header, pipe... ugh!

I hope my car arrives soon.

Stupid rain.

-Rich

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey Ted, how ya been ? Yea I bought a new motor for my NTC3 broke it in
and ran it a couple of weeks ago at DRCCC. I guess my first love is still electric and I plan on doing that as much as possible but gas is sooooo cool
that I want to do that also. I think a permanent track is a great idea but
somehow it never gets past the talking stage. Toledo seems to be the only answer. Talk to you later.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ted,

Interesting you mentioned that. If you are interested in building a permanent track, please join me in my search. I'm right with you in your desire to have a track, so what I propose is we develope a planning committee that meets regularily. The DRCCC has been in existence for 33 years, its about time we build a track. I am working on a proposal to submit to various parks and recreation departments in the area for a permanent site build. I have surveyed a park last weekend that would seem feasible, but I need more suggestions on locations. Parks are not the only other option either, parking lots inside malls, and within industrial locations such as within GM tech center are also options.

We can most likely locate, design a permanent track to build, but funding it is going to be a good portion of it. The work to accomplish this goal is going to be emmense. The first part is selecting the location of course. Cost will depend on the location. If we are lucky, the host city/county will help with funding. The rest will have to be made by sponsors and private donations or loans. I've been researching how they did it in cincinnati, and I hope to submit along with our proposal technical data on the economic impact of the worlds within the cincinnati area. Aparantly they have data that says total economic impact of 1/10th worlds was 2million, and the 8th Worlds was almost double that. Granted, even if we build a track capable of hosting a worlds event we can't host one every year, but it is a goal i had in mind.

In the mean time, its important to maintain a our presense by hosting events to build up membership. The planning work will take time away from daily organizational/maintence of this year's season, so the more people we have to help, the more we can focus on the big picture. If i see you at the track, hopefully this sunday i'm sure we can talk further about it.

Tom Kelley

DRCCC

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Rich, I just noticed you mentioning your thoughts about a track to build. In the future hopefully we can work together on making it happen.

Funny you mentioned the pistons, we got them to give us some tickets to pistons games for our charity race last year. Maybe they'll remember.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
No prob. The track for me is a wish and probably won't come to fruition unless I win the lottery. The only outdoor, onroad track I will be opening will be in my backyard once I move to a house with enough land. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have thought about this track deal a lot, the cost of land and paving would be almost impossibe for someone trying to make money. It will take free land or something like that to make it work. I assume the track in Cincinnati has some kind of deal with the city since it is in a city park.

As Tom says we need to keep trying to find a way to get the land. I keep looking at out of business parking lots and places like that, you never know they might let us set up shop. Actually finding some rich guy might not be out of the question. They have a couple of tracks in Miami that are privately owned by guys and they let their his buds come over to play. If we were in Charlotte I bet we could get a couple of rich Nextel Cup drivers and/or owners to give us a spot to race. The Joe Dumars thing might actually work.

What we need is some kind of slimy political guy to tell us how.............let's see, who would that be?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ted Flack said:
I have thought about this track deal a lot, the cost of land and paving would be almost impossibe for someone trying to make money.

What we need is some kind of slimy political guy to tell us how.............let's see, who would that be?
Well, we're not in it to make money, thats a non profit club for you.

The track in Cincinnati is city owned land. Once the city found out about the worlds, they jumped on board to help out whatever way they could. There are alot of examples that clubs tracks have been financed by public dollars... it would be nice to find a park district like that...

Slimy? Somone once told me to pitch it like this: "RC racing keeps kids away from drugs" Then you'll get all the help in the world. Which to some extent is true when you think about it.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I am pretty sure what Ted meant about "making money" is to 'break even.' :)

That would be a big bonus if the local community would help with the funding llike the Cinci track. However, I've never been to the Cinci track. Are there houses nearby? Most of the parks I know of in this area are near housing communities. And, the chance is high those folks would have a hissy-fit about the noise racing (especially nitro engines) make.

I personally experienced it with the Ann Arbor night race 2 years ago which was held at Pioneer H.S. in Ann Arbor. And, look at the problems that off-road track up near Larry's had. The place got burned down and then shut-down.

And, Riders in Canton had problems with the neighboring houses when they tried to run races in the back parking lot.

So, watching to see how close houses will be is something to look for.

I hope you can find a permanent place and get some funding some how. :)

-Rich

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I meant but "making money" is that a person couldn't come up with a sound business plan to spend the money on an outdoor racing facility. Hence, you have to have help from the local community, or some rich guy that afford to let his money sit under snow for six months a year. I have been thinking the an investment in land might work but my partner in life doesn't see it that way.

As far as the "slimy politician"--it's a joke for peets sake! Again, what I meant was we need somebody who could sell snow to eskimos to help sell the plan to a city.

Rich, the track in Cincinnati would make you sick. It is in a park that has socker fields, baseball, flying field and the race track. The park is very large, the flying field and race track are in the back off to one side. There are houses relatively close but I don't think they would hear anything..........it is very cool.

Now for the good news, the new weather forecast says sunny on Sunday, cold but no rain.

I want to go help the guys in Toledo at their work party tomorrow but I have been gone all week and have a few things I have to get done at home so I can race Sunday. I am going to try though, I feel quilty as hell that I don't get down there to help, it is about an hour and twenty minute drive which sucks too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New weather forecast:Becoming partly cloudy after some morning rain. Windy at times. High 53F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

I still plan on showing up at Wal Mart about 8:00, depending on rain, a little later if it is raining a lot.

Does anybody know if Toledo got their track done today? Is their plan to race tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hi Ted.

Glad to see you active on this board about nitro on-road. I will be running my cars at both Cincinnati and Toledo. I am hoping to see a few 235 4WD 1/10 scales this season. I s any of your group doing that?

·
Registered
178 Posts
davidl said:
Glad to see you active on this board about nitro on-road. I will be running my cars at both Cincinnati and Toledo. I am hoping to see a few 235 4WD 1/10 scales this season. I s any of your group doing that?
Currently we do not have anyone in the DRCCC running this class. I have beein in touch with many individuals who want this to happen. As a matter of fact, today I traded one of my sedan cars for a 1/10 235 car to someone who wants to run (he has 2). Plus he knows 4 other people who want to do it. That way he has a car to race, even if we don't get enough people to show for it, he'll still have a car to run..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sedanaddict said:
we raced in hamilton(ohio) we started late and the mains were 15 min. but it was a race(finally)
Are you guys racing this weekend (Mothers Day), or could any of us that haven't been able to race practice on Saturday?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts